Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple is rumored to be working on a virtual reality headset for launch as early as next year, and The Information today reported on some potential features to expect, based on information shared by a source with direct knowledge of the device.

apple-mixed-reality-headset-mockup.jpg

The report claims that the headset will be equipped with more than a dozen cameras for tracking hand movements, along with two ultra-high-resolution 8K displays and advanced eye-tracking technology. The cameras would be able to pass video of the real world through the visor and display it to the user, creating a "mixed-reality effect."

The Information said it viewed internal Apple images of a "late-stage prototype" of the headset from last year, which show a "sleek, curved visor attached to the face by a mesh material and swappable headbands."

The report claims one headband would feature spatial audio technology like the AirPods Pro for a surround sound-like experience, while another optional headband would provide additional battery life on the go. Similar to AirPods Max replacement ear cushions, it is possible that the headbands will be offered in a variety of colors as well.

Apple is said to be developing multiple ways to control the headset, including a "thimble-like device to be worn on a person's finger." The headset would also be able to respond to the wearer's eye movements and hand gestures, the report claims, while one prototype of the headset also had a physical dial on the visor's side.

Apple has internally discussed pricing the headset around $3,000, according to the report, which would place it within the ballpark of Microsoft's mixed reality HoloLens 2 headset, which retails for $3,500. This price would certainly make Apple's headset a high-end, niche product, with the company apparently setting an internal goal of shipping only 250,000 units of the headset in the first year of its release.

Some of these details have been previously reported by Bloomberg's Mark Gurman, CNET, and other sources, and The Information agrees that the headset will likely be released in 2022 at the earliest. Apple is also rumored to be working on a pair of sleeker, more affordable augmented reality glasses, but those are not expected until 2023 or later.

Article Link: Apple's AR/VR Headset Said to Feature Dual 8K Displays, Eye Tracking, Swappable Headbands, and More

Last edited:

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
I’m really curious to see what the implementation of this will be. It wouldn’t surprise me if it’s an add on accessory to a new Apple TV/console that will actually be capable of supporting games that developers will embrace.
It’s almost certainly going to tie in to Fitness+ for immersive exercise. Which will lead to, “there’s condensation in my visor!”

7thson

macrumors 65816
May 13, 2012
Six Rivers, CA
Curious to see the use cases Apple has in mind for these. I was on board when these were supposed to be glasses. Full on headsets are a tough sell for a company that doesn't do gaming well.
My thoughts as well. Plenty of trinket iOS games but will developers buy in if Apple releases something more robust? Could Apple actually put out a true console?

rlhamil

macrumors regular
Feb 6, 2010
Are 8K displays small enough for a headset even possible? What kind of pixel density would that be? Wouldn't it be enough higher than "Retina" (too dense to see the pixels) to be overkill?

Reactions: Romeo_Nightfall

zedsdead

macrumors 68040
Jun 20, 2007
If the drawing is accurate, it looks like it is inspired from the Airpods Max and Apple Watch which makes sense as that is the design aesthetic of the wearables category.

Dual 8K, wow.

Reactions: newyorksole

Nicky G

macrumors 65816
Mar 24, 2002
Baltimore
Previous rumors have indicated that this will be a “self-contained” system, it may include a “base station” where some of the components are housed (presumably wirelessly-connected?) So Apple releasing a “console” or whole new platform around the headset is sounding likely, if you think of the base station in those terms. This won’t be driven by a laptop or desktop computer. The much-lighter/smaller AR headset may be a couple years later. This initial AR/VR device might halfway be a dev platform for those things...

Reactions: Justanotherfanboy

Mr. Dee

macrumors 603
Dec 4, 2003
Jamaica
There is an audience for this, but I’m likely not it. Of course things can change, but I suspect the early adopters will have to make the sacrifice. I’m sure within a few generations it will come down in price, lots bugs fixed, defined use cases appear. We’ve all seen this, it’s amazing exactly why I have not bought a HomePod or AirPod Max yet.

iiiiiMAC!!!!!

macrumors member
Nov 14, 2020
Curious to see the use cases Apple has in mind for these. I was on board when these were supposed to be glasses. Full on headsets are a tough sell for a company that doesn't do gaming well.
Its not that Apple doesn’t do it well, its the fact that it’s hard for any company to get off the ground in the gaming industry with sony, Microsoft and nintendo being so popular.

if they were to get a somewhat decent gamestore then it would change things but thats still far away.

Also, you and I have the same looking pussycat

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.