Apple's attention to detail

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by umiwangu, Mar 20, 2012.

1. umiwangu macrumors 6502

I love Apple's attention to detail. I've haven't owned Macs very long. I got my first white MacBook in 2006. But it's the little things that get me. Just tonight I found another "feature" on my MacBook Pro (early '11) that is really cool.

You know the little light that lights up when the screen goes off (but the laptop is still on)? Tonight when I walked into my darkened office where my MBP was sitting, I turned the light on and I noticed the little indicator got brighter. At first I thought it was my eyes, but then when I switched the light off, I noticed the indicator light got dimmer. I sat there for about 5 minutes, switching the room light on and off, just watching the indicator automatically dim and brighten.

Isn't that neat? Call me naive, simple, OCD, fanboy, whatever, but I really like those little details. It tells me that Apple cares about the products they make.

Just my $.02 for the night.

(Kind of sad that this made my evening. I need to get out.) :_)

2. BasilFawlty macrumors 6502

BasilFawlty

Wouldn't dream of calling you any of those thing; but will offer the observation that you're obviously easily entertained. :)

3. blueroom macrumors 603

blueroom

As an IT person and PC tech it was Apples attention to detail was one of the reasons I drank the kool-aid.
    Swapping the HDD in a 27" iMac was more work than any PC but you realize Apple computers are built like a Swiss watch not a box full of bolts and dangly wires like most PCs. I could simply shake some PCs to get the old drive out.

4. umiwangu thread starter macrumors 6502

Simple mind, simple pleasures. :)

5. rebby macrumors 6502

I'm easily entertained as well. I love that little "pulse". LOL

6. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

Haha, that pulse when the MacBook Pro is sleeping is about the most entertaining thing.:p

When I first got it, I remember waiting dutifully in my bed, not closing my eyes, until I was completely sure my MB was asleep.

7. Tinmania macrumors 68040

Tinmania

It's those "little things" that impress me too.

Heck coming from the Windows world I'm still amazed that my mac mini has never been physically connected to a keyboard or mouse.

My mb air just impresses me, period.

Michael

8. umiwangu thread starter macrumors 6502

:). I do the same thing now, but for a different reason. On my first MB, I was in a rush for a presentation, and put my MB in my bag without waiting to see if it had slept. When I got to the meeting, I realised my MB hadn't gone to sleep and was frozen. When I crashed it, it wouldn't start up. I later found out the hard drive had been damaged. So now whenever I put my MBP in it's bag, I always wait to make sure it's asleep before tossing it around.

But yeah, the pulsing sleep light is cool.

9. pgiguere1 macrumors 68020

pgiguere1

It's crazy that the sleep light goes through hundreds of microscopic holes drilled in the aluminium body. Even with a macro lens the aluminium looks 100% intact when the light is off.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pEY9vSGmQGI

10. umiwangu thread starter macrumors 6502

True... although one thing that annoys me is when little bits of dirt/dust clog up some of the holes so it looks uneven when lit. I need to figure out a way to clean it.

11. umiwangu thread starter macrumors 6502

I've seen live rats jump out of PCs I'm working on. That would never happen with a Mac Pro. ;-)

When I've opened my or other peoples' Apple computers, I'm really surprised by the thought put into designing the internals. Well thought out.

12. HarryPot macrumors 6502a

That's one thing I will never be able to stop doing.

With my prior MB it was very easy knowing when it was in sleep mode, since the fans stopped working. But with my new MBP, I do need to watch for the sleep light to start pulsating.

13. trikky macrumors regular

Wow...if you get that much excitement out of your computer's sleep light, I can only imagine how much you'll be turned on when I tell you this...

Your refrigerator light doesn't stay on when you close the door...:eek:

14. umiwangu thread starter macrumors 6502

My sixteen year-old fridge keeps the light on sometimes. Maybe that explains my amazement. :)

15. grahamnp macrumors 6502a

Holy **** you're right. I never noticed that, good thing it's there too because lights from my devices when I'm trying to sleep is very annoying.

16. Interstella5555 macrumors 603

Interstella5555

Nope, that's just a waste of electricity :) I'm with you OP, the "breathing" of the light is pretty cool, and I've heard that the PB line it was more like a heartbeat. It's not usefully, terribly exciting or worthwhile, but it's cool and does show a nice attention to the end user experience.

17. umiwangu thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks. :)

And just note that I'm not talking about the light when the computer is sleeping... I'm talking about when it's steady (to indicate the screen is off, but the computer is on). This is when it responds to the ambient lighting.