Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Greymacuser

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2012
When Tim Cook talks about iPhones, AR, ... it sounds as if it's other people (in his company) are doing this. I don't sense that deep vision & involvement a CEO needs to have. Yes, he's enthousiastic, but without much deep connection. This saddens me.
He's no Steve Jobs. Heck, he's not even a Bill Gates.
[doublepost=1473999404][/doublepost]
Apple is trying to make an iphone killer before someone else does.
And they're failing at it. HARD.

McCool71

macrumors 6502a
Sep 16, 2012
Even if VR/AR makes it as an accessory for the iPhone or incorporated, it will be a couple generations before any worthwhile content is available.
There is already excellent content available - even for phone powered VR - out there right now.

I use my VR headset almost every day.

nega3

macrumors newbie
Sep 15, 2016
I am literally putting money aside for Magic Leap as we speak but if the iPhone and Mac is any indication, Apple would probably be the ones to make AR big.

ML is something I'm putting 70% of my internet time to researching and analysing but I yearn for Apple's.

pat500000

Suspended
Jun 3, 2015
What now...whenever says something on TV, he's gonna do it by poaching others?
If he's gonna get new mac pro, he's gonna poach someone who helped build z station?
[doublepost=1474040842][/doublepost]
This is not the future. I repeat, this is not the future.

b94dc58f9a6941ebae9a13f9982064a3.jpg
But it describes Tim's personality.

rcappo

macrumors 6502
Apr 14, 2010
I've used an iPhone 6 Plus as a screen, but it is too small. And iPad or iPad mini would be better, although a custom headset with a fairly large curved high res screen for each eye would be even better.

lucidmedia

macrumors 6502a
Oct 13, 2008
Wellington, New Zealand
I am literally putting money aside for Magic Leap as we speak but if the iPhone and Mac is any indication, Apple would probably be the ones to make AR big.

ML is something I'm putting 70% of my internet time to researching and analysing but I yearn for Apple's.

With 700 employees and a huge amount of investment ML is still 3 - 4 years away from a shipping product. Apple has very little IP in this area. Apple may move into this space, but it will be after a few more products are launched to define the market.

dysamoria

macrumors 68020
Dec 8, 2011
Yeah, good luck running any VR graphics on any of the existing macs or iToys with their lack luster GPUs.

That's pretty much what I had come here to say. This "Apple cares about VR" stuff just sounds like corporate "me too"ing without any educated awareness of what it really means to care about VR. Apple doesn't seem to know where they want to go, and statements like this, with Apple's track record with GPUs, makes it sound like hollow PR. Apple seems to think they need to go where everyone else is going (even if everyone else is chasing windmills), or at least appear to be going where everyone else is going (until they all find themselves suffering a burst market bubble).

Apple is spreading itself out, losing focus on its own products, and that's because it's serving shareholders and following trends, instead of listening to what its most dedicated customers need, making its core products solid, and trying to LEAD. (Consumer fad products don't provide a reliable long term base, as they will dump your product for the competitor's on a moment's notice that the fad has shifted; the content creators with rows of studio machines will stick with you through dry spells... But not forever)

2013 jumped the shark with iOS 7, trashing decades of interface research to hop on the flat bus (though you have plenty of people on that flat bus, loving "change for the sake of change", bashing anyone who talks about human interface design research). iOS 7 introduced some desirable features, some of which I am appreciating with music apps on my iPad Pro, but it also introduced an incredible number of bugs and usability issues into their best product line. Prior to iOS 7, iPhone/iPad was a product that kicked the computer industry in the ass and gave us a few golden years of real competition and advancement (a trend that has now gone retrograde). Three major releases suffered from this asinine GUI change and I have not had anyone confirm if any of these long standing bugs have been fixed in iOS 10 (I'm not installing it until I know it's safe for my apps and won't slow my devices).

The last three years have been a waltz of one and a half steps forward and one step back. Incremental improvements gave us the iPad Pro and Apple Pencil (without compelling apps on launch, nor an eraser end on a product called a PENCIL), which I think was the right, but late, direction for iPads to go... trying to catch up with Microsoft's surface. I have it. I like it. I'm glad the screen is uniform, unlike my iPhone 6s...

The Apple Watch is a reaction to things like FitBit and Nike Fuel. I don't wear watches, so it's irrelivant to me. But I notice the UI design is still being decided by Jony Ive, and, even for luxury markets, it's very plain looking (again, Ive). I think there is a legitimate use for it and some people love it. Fair enough, but we've been watching the Mac Pro go nowhere for almost three years now.

They gave us a new Mac "Pro" and professionals said "wait, what?" I'm on the fence about that computer since I already have lots of external devices and sort of prefer them after the string of PCs I've injured myself working in, but some of the complaints are legit, and it is costing Apple a lot of market share in the small but important content creation market. So they dropped that highly polarized replacement product for their neglected Pro line and then ignored it again. Apple then went off and wasted resources making a slightly better wrist-worn computing product than the current stuff on the market. Because, mass market, momentarily-happy shareholders.

When Apple started pushing into the office and higher education workspace with iWork improvements, it seemed like they were trying to get Mac OS some deeper traction into Microsoft's territory. It even seemed to be working a bit, after the iPhone and iPad created that halo effect. Pages and Numbers weren't on par with Word and Excel, but they were finally good enough to get into that space and challenge the dominant brand.... Then Apple trashed iWork and replaced it with the iOS port, missing tons of features and a less effective UI. Then they started selling MS Office.

And the contextually relevant item that inspired this rant: GPU and graphics: As gaming started to really boom on iOS, Apple brought out Metal to, apparently, encourage more game development on iOS with more impressive graphics. It seemed logical to push into the gaming space on the Mac, and Metal was brought to Mac OS... but we got no hardware to really execute anything new (to the Mac platform). Nothing to attract game developers for new games or ports from the Windows world. The Mac is mostly just a suicidal chip container where heavy GPU use is concerned, and the Mac Pro, with its impressive professional dual GPUs... were given little to no practical use AND only provide middling game performance (if not for gaming, then what are they to be utilized by? Final Cut X? That's all??). Plus, there still isn't a retina-quality display for that computer, which should be a workhorse photographer's station. Apple discontinues their ridiculously expensive display and then recommends third party 4K display for their headless computers that haven't been updated in years.

Now Apple says they care about VR?? Have they not noticed that VR essentially requires bleeding edge, full length, double-height, cooling-device-heavy PCIe cards?? Even WITH that bleeding edge hardware, the results are not universally accepted as sharp or fast enough to not make you sick or even be entertained ( yes, some people love it, but it is not remotely mass market and we see Apple only cares about mass market product sales, so...??). One of the biggest names in VR has stated that they won't support the Mac until it has acceptable hardware. Did that comment get noticed by Apple's "me too" leadership, and now we're going to somehow get Mac hardware that can somehow reliably host such power-sucking and heat-blasting GPUs?

Confounding behavior.

... and stock holders "happy" I use this term loosely as the concept of a happy stock holder is an illusion.

Dead on. Perpetual growth is unsustainable fantasy, but they demand it anyway.

Reactions: phairphan

Matz

macrumors 65816
Apr 25, 2015
Rural Southern Virginia
The iWatch, loss of head phone jacks, no professional macs in 1000 days and continuous inflated prices. Nuff said.

Hear you about the pro macs. The loss of headphone jacks is a wait and see for me, as I have an iPhone 6 that works just fine, particularly with iOS 10, and so am not motivated to go for a new one. The Watch? Love mine.

Greymacuser

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2012
Hear you about the pro macs. The loss of headphone jacks is a wait and see for me, as I have an iPhone 6 that works just fine, particularly with iOS 10, and so am not motivated to go for a new one. The Watch? Love mine.
It certainly helped make your wallet lighter I guess. So, there's that.

LordVic

Cancelled
Sep 7, 2011
Using many of the avai

Not sure there is always:
Micro/nano led displays
Micro/nano projector
AR/VR
Flexible iPhone
Semi translucent iPhone
Wireless Charging
iOS mobile to desktop docking
USB-C charging in and out
Solar Charging
Thinner iPhone
4K/8K display
Dynamic Display (i.e. iPad Pro)
Complete water proof
Built-in laser pointer
More optical and other sensors
No bezel screen
Iris scanning and tracking
Hand/finger air gestures for interacting
Rollable iPhone
Etc...

See Apple is not running out of ideas it is waiting for the technology to be released or mature so it can refine it and possible get it cheaper as other companies make the initial mistake and test the market acceptance of such technology.

Apple is a marketing company first then a technology company second and the profits prove it.

Sounds like you're not running out of ideas.

you're hired.

All hail Code-M. Apple's new CEO!

Greymacuser

macrumors 6502
Jul 31, 2012
My, aren't we grumpy...
Yep. :)
Over a 1000 days with no professional desktop update (not to mention the last one being borked with a slower bus speed than its predecessor), lame iToys swallowing up the companies development, and a severe lack of innovation or loyalty to their longest lasting customer base would make anyone a tad grumpy.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.