Apple's awful repair service (with pics)

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by paola105, Jun 20, 2009.

1. paola105 macrumors 6502

paola105

Do the older macbook pro's like the Santa Rosa have liquid damage detection sensors? Or is just in the newer ones?
    A year ago I spilled a tiny amount of beer on it and only a few drops got under 2 or 3 keys. I quickly popped them off, dried the area and everything was fine. My gpu failed recently due to the whole Nvidia thing and I had to ship it off to Apple. So I was wondering if they will be able to tell there was a spill and void my apple care warranty even though the failure was not caused by this?
    I'm really worried because it was only a few drops and it did not leave any residue... :confused::eek:

Update:
    Anyway I got my computer fixed with crappy results. I posted the pics in the bottom post because I'm not sure how to delete posts. :confused:

2. qpid macrumors regular

No sensor but when I used to fix those things, often there was residue/rust/corrosion where the liquid entered.

3. paola105 thread starter macrumors 6502

paola105

Oh crap, does it mean I'm screwed? They're supposed to receive it on monday and I'm really scared.
    There's no way I can afford to pay over 1000 to get it fixed when it wasn't even caused by liquid :eek:

4. Magick macrumors member

There's a foil underneath the keyboard, I doubt the beer made it to the logic board. They probably won't notice it in that case.

5. paola105 thread starter macrumors 6502

paola105

That makes me feel a lot better! I hope that's the case!

6. paola105 thread starter macrumors 6502

paola105

So Apple received my MBP and the repair status says it's on hold and that a part was ordered.
    Is that a good sign?

7. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Could be. It doesn't necessarily mean that they didn't find a problem with it. You should get updates through your e-mail address so check that or call AppleCare for updates. A possibility is that they might have ordered it but not install it because they found liquid damage and will need your authorization to go ahead with the repair because it will cost you.

8. paola105 thread starter macrumors 6502

paola105

Ouch, I hope not.
    All it says right now is that it's on hold because of the part. So I hope they wont say anything because the spill was mainly on the palm rest area and it only touched 2 or 3 keys (Command and Option area), which I quickly cleaned

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Yeah, then you should be fine. Just giving you a head ups of what might/might not happen. Too many customers call in asking to know why their repair hasn't been completed only to find out that they have been re-quoted because of liquid damage.

10. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

While "WE" at Macrumors can only say things to make you feel better, that doesn't guarantee anything, Apple makes this decision. IMO, I wouldn't worry about it. It doesn't seem like it big enough spill. People (including myself) wipe the keyboard with a damp cloth and it's bound to get a tiny bit of water underneath the keys, I don't think it's enough to cause damage however only you know how much beer it really was. Good luck, hope it works out, let us know.

11. paola105 thread starter macrumors 6502

paola105

Well after I popped the keys off, and cleaned the area, there wasn't any residue left and everything was ok. I hope none of the liquid made it to the actual internal parts. After all, if it was a lot, the computer would've shut off instantly. So let's hope for the best. I'm really nervous.

12. paola105 thread starter macrumors 6502

paola105

Woohoo! So I checked the status again and it said that the repair was completed and the product return is pending! So I'm guessing they fixed it and none of that liquid issue came up, or otherwise they would've warned me.

13. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Good to hear. But for next time, can we please be a bit more careful? :p

14. paola105 thread starter macrumors 6502

paola105

Yes, I think it's time to apply that "No liquids within 4 feet of the computer" rule :p
    I got really lucky this time.

15. iHateMacs macrumors 6502a

iHateMacs

So what are they replacing your GPU with? Another one the same?

16. paola105 thread starter macrumors 6502

paola105

I have no idea. It didn't say, but hopefully the one without any problems.

17. paola105 thread starter macrumors 6502

paola105

So I just got back my computer, only to find at least 2 huge scratches on the lid and a speck of dust that's like embedded into the screen and I can't get it off.
    Great... :mad:

18. pellets007 macrumors 6502a

pellets007

Under the screen? I've had that issue as well and they replaced both units, but I was under the return period. Inquire about that because it's unacceptable.

19. paola105 thread starter macrumors 6502

paola105

Yeah I know! That's a lovely addition to the other stuck pixel they gave me and a scratch on the lid the last time. That's like 3 huge 4" scratches altogether in addition to small ones!
    I don't think it's under the screen because I can feel it and it's like a bump on the screen.

Oh and I noticed the right speaker is more muted than the left! Wtf I am calling AppleCare about this right now. Unacceptable.

Update:
    Called Apple Care, they made me take pictures for proof and email them. I'm awaiting a callback. This is ridiculous.

Update 2:
    They got the pictures and apparently there weren't any engineers available to solve this issue so I was told by the rep that they will call me in like 4 days! Wtf?!
    This is ridiculous.

Pics:
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]