Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Stuipdboy1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
I am going to be starting college in September and I am thinking of purchasing an iMac to help aid my studies and video editing work. Apple states on the main page for the Back to School promotion that the iMac starts from £880. However, when I add it to my basket in the Education store the base model rings up at £939.60. Does more discount get applied later on or what? I'm pretty confused and hope someone who has already purchased an iMac with this deal this year could offer some assistance.

PVisitors

macrumors 6502a
Aug 1, 2011
I am going to be starting college in September and I am thinking of purchasing an iMac to help aid my studies and video editing work. Apple states on the main page for the Back to School promotion that the iMac starts from £880. However, when I add it to my basket in the Education store the base model rings up at £939.60. Does more discount get applied later on or what? I'm pretty confused and hope someone who has already purchased an iMac with this deal this year could offer some assistance.

the £939.60 price is Further Education which is colleges. The £880 price is University discount.

If you're not on campus use this: http://store.apple.com/uk_edu_5000716

Although, be prepared to scan in Student ID if by unfortunate luck they pick out your order to be checked.

Even so, it's worth a try as you get a free 3 year warranty so you don't need to buy applecare (unless you want the phone support).

Stuipdboy1000

macrumors 65816
Original poster
Jun 30, 2007
Glasgow, Scotland, UK
Thanks for the prompt responses guys!

One last question. It says on Apple's site that the deal is available for "students accepted to university or college". That applies to me and that means I don't have any form of student ID. As long as I take my acceptance letter I got from the college to the Apple Store I should be fine, right?

iStudentUK

macrumors 65816
Mar 8, 2009
London
Thanks for the prompt responses guys!

One last question. It says on Apple's site that the deal is available for "students accepted to university or college". That applies to me and that means I don't have any form of student ID. As long as I take my acceptance letter I got from the college to the Apple Store I should be fine, right?

If you have your results and hence an unconditional offer Apple staff do often accept that. However, if you wait until your first day of uni and buy through the Apple HE store online you get a 3 year warranty for free (you also get that over the phone). But you don't get a free warranty in store.

Note FE colleges negociate discounts individually so you just have to ask what it is.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.