Apple's battery case

Discussion in 'iPhone Accessories' started by dominiongamma, Sep 7, 2016.

1. dominiongamma macrumors 65816

Didn't know if anyone notice but Apple updates its battery case for the iPhone 7, anyone going to get it ?

2. mous94410 macrumors 6502

3. goofy810 macrumors regular

4. Mactagonist macrumors 65816

Doubtful. Looks like they just enlarged the camera hole.

5. RamGuy macrumors 6502a

RamGuy

Was considering getting this for my girlfriends iPhone 6S. She doesn't really have any huge issues with battery life, but she prefers Apple's Silicon Cases to begin with and the added battery would never hurt.

But the lack of colour options is limiting it's appeal. And it still got that huge lip at the bottom adding significant size to the phone. It's almost like you could just opt for the Plus model instead at that point. The added thickness isn't a huge problem, but the additional length is not ideal, making it pretty much as long as the Plus model.

I can't really understand why the lip exist in the first place? Whats hidden inside of it? There is still plenty of space for added thickness on the back as the "bulk" could get larger without it really doing anything to the size of the case. But still we have this huge lip, why? On the previous one I thought it might have something to do with the headphone jack or something, but with this new one I can't for the lift of me understand what purpose that lip servers?

6. blaugrana69 macrumors regular

So, will the iPhone 6/6s Battery case still work with the iPhone 7 ??

7. al0kz macrumors member

The 7 and 6s have the exact same physical dimensions. The only issue is that the placement of the camera module may cause some complications in fitting the older case. That and the 6s battery case is going to have a gaping hole where a certain old port used to be lol.

8. RamGuy macrumors 6502a

RamGuy

It's not only the camera being bigger that's the problem, but you also have speaker holes on both sides of the Lightning connection on the bottom. Using a iPhone 6/6S case would cover all the holes on the left side of the Lightning connection.

9. dominiongamma thread starter macrumors 65816

Does anyone have the battery case for the 6s? Share your thoughts :)?

10. blaugrana69 macrumors regular

Ok, but not an issue if you're using wireless headphones ?
    Probably the camera cut out that will be the issue..

11. dominiongamma thread starter macrumors 65816

12. jev425 macrumors 6502

jev425

I guess one advantage will be having the bottom speakers redirected forward now, instead of firing directly down. Which in theory should sound better with the added top speaker of the iPhone 7

13. bhayes444, Sep 10, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 10, 2016

bhayes444 macrumors 6502a

I used to own Apple's battery case for the 6s and my thoughts on it are as follows:

I didn't really like the gray option they offer as it didn't really match my space gray 6s. I thought about the white case, as it looks much cleaner, but people saying some staining occurred on theirs and the fact that it contrasts so heavily with my black fronted phone just threw me off; although I do think color-wise the white looks nicer.

The weight, length, and girth it added to the phone felt significant enough in my hands that I thought it would've been just a better option to buy the plus sized phone; at least then you'd get a bigger display. With the case you do have the option of using your smaller phone outside of it, but it definitely makes the 6s feel plus sized while in the case. The bottom lip to me made no sense as there are non-MFi certified cases that have no lip but use the lightning port for the charging of the case. I guess Apple doesn't like the possible stress put on the lightning connector in the case, when removing the phone; as on these non-Apple case you need to bend the port a bit to remove the case. One positive thing I like about the added dimensions of the case is that the smaller battery pack on the back of it raised it off the table and made it really easy to pick it up. The case also feels really sturdy, most likely helping to add to the weight. Putting the phone in the case is really easy, just as taking it out is easy. As with most silicone cases the case picks up lint really easily, and is easily noticeable on the gray one. A big negative for this case is that you need an adapter to fit most headphones into the hole on the case (except the stock earpods) as the hole is too narrow; and the case doesn't include this adapter.

Regarding the actual battery portion of the case, it is true that it doesn't fully charge your dead iPhone, and it does use all of the cases' battery before the iPhone. This is a nice feature, but adds to my perception that a Apple never intends for this to be on your phone all the time. Aside from adding extra protection to your phone, once the battery on the case drains it becomes useless. With a dead battery you essentially just have a protective case that adds significant weight, length, and girth to your device. One neat feature is that using a power adapter that outputs more than 1A (stock iPhone adapter) will charge the phone and case at the same time; which I think is not supposed to be the charging behavior on other battery cases (charging the iPhone fully then the case). I could be wrong though.

For me the cons outweighed the pros and I returned it. Another con for me was the $99 price tag. I could get a battery case that was just as large, felt a bit cheaper, but was actually cheaper at around $40. Sorry for a lengthy post, just trying to sum up all my thoughts on the case.

One last note: I don't own lightning headphones but I would assume the lightning port on these cases pass through audio. So, for the 7 battery case it should hopefully work out well.

14. sodaftl macrumors member

sodaftl

I use a white Apple smart battery case with my silver iPhone 6s when I fly overseas as I need my phone to stay on at all time. If I know that I'm going to use Apple Maps, I also plan to take the case with me, just to be safe.

When you charge the iPhone in the smart case, both devices get to 100% charged, the next morning for me.
    Then during the 1st day, the Apple smart battery case is being depleted
    The next day, you can either keep the phone in the smart case or put the smart case aside as the iPhone starts around 100% charge and is being depleted during the day.
    This gives me 2 good days of battery life without recharging.

The Apple smart battery case + iPhone make for a heavier device, obviously, but it's a fair price to pay for a 2-day charged iPhone.

I just ordered a glossy black iPhone 7 and I also ordered an updated black smart battery case to match.

I never use the smart case when I'm in my home state.

Hope this helps a bit.

15. dominiongamma thread starter macrumors 65816

It was, still undecided lol my iPhone 6 Plus lost about 10 percent of the battery in two so I have to charge my plus twice a day now but my iPhone 7 is on the way so hoping the extra hour or so battery will be good