Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple will be reopening its Bay Street retail store in Emeryville, California on Monday, January 8 at 10 a.m. local time, according to the company's website.

Apple-Bay-Street.jpeg

The store had been closed for renovations since early September, according to Tabletops, a weekly newsletter about Apple retail published by Michael Steeber. However, it is currently unclear if the store will have any public-facing changes when it reopens, or if the renovations are limited to the backroom area for staff members.

The store originally opened in 2002, becoming Apple's 50th retail location in the U.S., and moved to its current location on Bay Street in 2016.

Steeber recently released a major update for Facades, an app that provides comprehensive information about Apple's retail stores around the world. Users can now explore the history and grand opening of any store, track multiple store visits, and more. The app is available for free on the App Store for the iPhone, iPad, and Mac.

Article Link: Apple's Bay Street Store Reopening Next Week After Four-Month Closure

bousozoku

Moderator emeritus
Jun 25, 2002
Lard
Is it sensible for Apple to have any stores in crime-riddled California?
Emeryville is an especially interesting location, given its proximity to Oakland, but Best Buy probably still has a Magnolia Design Center with high end equipment not far away. There is a lot of money in the area.

Californians may not have money for a house, but they have money for Apple products.

Reactions: dcingie

joeblough

macrumors 6502a
Sep 30, 2006
this area is kind of rough, it was nice when the mall first opened but nowadays it's definitely one of those places where apple pays a police officer to sit in front all day. same as 4th street in berkeley. they might have just taken the opportunity to remodel because the entire mall is undergoing a refresh.

Reactions: dcingie

jchurchill

macrumors member
Feb 15, 2021
I'm wondering why this didn't make above the fold in WSJ. Or anywhere in WSJ for that matter.

boomspot

macrumors regular
Apr 10, 2018
That store is within walking distance to my place and I can confirm the area is pretty ratchet at times. I prefer visiting the 4th street Berkeley store and even that location has a multiple snatch and grab sales every other month.

Reactions: joeblough

svish

macrumors G3
Nov 25, 2017
Looking to hear more about the changes in store and also would like to see some photos after the reopening.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.