Apple's 'Big Plan' with the new Macbooks - My theory

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by AndyCro, Oct 15, 2008.

1. AndyCro macrumors member

Noticed how many more people are tempted to buy an older macbook / Pro for Firewire or just for the price?

A now cheaper alternative that looks inviting still due to lack of features and prohibitive price points?

In the current economy Apple are making no sense.

But I bet theyre shifting cheaper older units by the dozen now in the refurb store still, along with the whitebook and the 17inch MBP that make no sense with their aesthetic remit.

They know no one will buy it now we are all trying to save both sides of the pond. So they can still retain market share by making what until a few days go were the top systems - cheaper, more inviting, and ultimately - still more useful to the general consumer.

Then when they are hoping we are out the back of the current recession - bang - Firewire / matte on the MBP, better price points and processor upgrades.

2. Le Big Mac macrumors 68020

Le Big Mac

I don't buy it. How much does Firewire cost them to add? $25? $50? It's not huge, so the issue is one of design/function direction. Apple believes firewire is dead for consumers, so that's the direction they're going.

Much as I like firewire, and wish it was still there, a sizable majority of consumers aren't going to care.

3. Beric macrumors 68020

Beric

Apple's notebooks are definitely WAY overpriced right now. 1.5x+ the price of identical hardware in a notebook PC.

I'll wait till next revision. If the prices are not close to similar-specced PC's of the time, I'll buy a PC and try to survive Vista. A lot easier than surviving the current $700 a new MBP costs over an identically-specced HP.

4. AndyCro thread starter macrumors member

Firewire has been intrinsically associated with the Mac for some time though.

I think it's jumping the gun removing it, and they will do a U-turn as thay did with the Macbook Pro and FW800 only two years ago.

Dont forget trends in Digital Djing and the proliferation of affordable high capacity external HDD - which with their current capacities cuit video streaming further still now, have only really come to the fore in the last two years aswell.

Ive used Firewire extensively for Design and music, and have only adopted it myself since having a mac. Live Ableton sets scream on it.

Theres no way everyone will adopt USB MIDI that easily for example.

5. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Don't bother waiting, buy your Vista thingy now. Apple has never and with their history never will bring their prices in line with other PC companies. With all of the hype that was caused from this product release and the news that Apple was releasing a $800 laptop they did nothing to satisfy half of the hype.
    So unless you are just ranting carry your promise through right now and get your Vista thingy because Apple is not gonna fulfill your price conscience wishes.

6. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

At some point you have to understand what you're paying for the design. It wasn't justified on the previous MacBooks, but I'd say it's justified here.

7. madmaxmedia macrumors 68030

The majority of customers may not know or care. But if a friend asked me for a notebook recommendation and I knew he/she owned a camcorder, I would steer them away from the new MacBook.

At this point, I'd tell them to buy a refurb MBP or something like that, or the original MacBook.

It makes no sense in a worsening economy to withhold Firewire, then add it back later. In a worsening economy all companies need to maximize revenue and take it where they can get it, not artificially force customers to upsize to a $2000 machine.

8. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

Didnt you say the same thing about this update?

You realize apple isnt going to ever become dell right?

OSX.

9. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

not just design, the OSX experience.

10. TwinCities Dan macrumors 603

TwinCities Dan

Double Parked out front of the Courthouse
    Beric will NEVER buy a mac, just read his comments, all he ever talks about is how much cheaper other companies are compared to Apple. :rolleyes:

11. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

If im not mistaken he actually owns one, just likes to bitch about things he already knows will never change.

Also for some reason never factors the different OS into the equation (other than its retail price :rolleyes:)

12. Andrew K. macrumors 65816

No More Firewire

No Matte Option

No better prices til mid summer MAYBE

It's not a strategy to leave them out and put them back in later, come on.

Apple likes to move forward in design and internals.

Glossy like the iMac and no firewire because Retailers hardly sell firewire enabled devices anymore.

13. dejo Moderator

dejo

Staff Member

HP doesn't produce a notebook that is identically-spec'd. It may come close, but identical is a strong word.

14. isaacc7 macrumors regular

How so? The graphics are nice I suppose and in the abstract I guess the aluminum is good too, but honestly I've never found either the graphics of case a limitation to me. Plus, the new computers are FUGLY! I'd never make that a reason to not buy a computer, but I will also never consider this design a benefit. I'm also worried about the new trackpad. Maybe it'll be great, but I can see it just as likely being annoying. Oh AND NO FiREWIRE ON THE MB! And I was excited about this release... :-(

Isaac

15. mason.kramer macrumors 6502

mason.kramer

Less for More.

16. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Look at the manufacturing process and you will understand.

17. Phrasikleia macrumors 601

Phrasikleia

I think their "big plan" is to continue their quest for more market share and more market revenue. That means going after the masses and marketing to the lowest common denominator within the premium stratum (where the big margins are to be had). Apple does not want a niche market, as it had when it was the clear choice of creative professionals; Apple wants the premium market as a whole. They don't want to compete on specs alone; they want image and identity concerns to create irrational desire.

So: lots of people have camcorders that require Firewire, but most people do not, so Apple nixes the firewire, knowing that those camcorder owners who really want a Mac will pony up for the more expensive MBP instead of buying a Dell. Most people like shiny things, ergo the new laptop line is very shiny. That sort of thing.

18. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

WTF, when I say this i repeatedly get called a fanboy?

Mayb you just managed to explain it in easier to understand words, good for you:)

19. iShater macrumors 604

iShater

Cause he called it out like it is with little editorial work. :D

At the end of the day, we will all live, we will either get USB HDs, get new cameras, keep our current system, upgrade to a MBP, get an external display, etc. etc. But it still sux that many of us feel we have been kicked in the gut. :eek: (or worse places :eek: )

20. isaacc7 macrumors regular

Umm, I don't care how it was made, I really don't. "Design" is great if it helps you use the machine more efficiently, or maybe even if it makes it look better. If how it's made is why I have to pay $2000 to get an Apple laptop with a firewire port, give me plastic cases any day!

Isaac

21. NT1440 macrumors G4

NT1440

wait till macworld 09, according to those who have compained over the phone apple reps are saying they are being BOMBARDED with FW calls.

22. PeterQC macrumors 6502a

PeterQC

Before this update I was more then happy to recommend macs to my no-gaming friends, but now I really don't know. Way to overpriced now.

Personnally, I don't really care since I really need a portable Mac (They give all the licenses of the programs I need in my course if it's Mac: PS, Illustrator, Indesign etc.) and the goodies they added on the new ones worth it for me.

23. Dybbuk macrumors 6502a

Then don't buy it, it's not like you have to. :|

24. Anderson3133 macrumors regular

I think their is a much simpler answer than this.
    1) Apple has new technology (manufacturing process) and they want people to recognize that
    2) They kept hardware upgrades minimal because it would take away from their great new manufacturing process and the recognition they would receive
    3) They don't want to have these new Rev A products burdened with malfunctions in hardware, much like most Rev A products, so they kept their old technology in the new machines to ensure this would not happen
    4) They took out firewire simply because they now need a real reason for a pro to get a pro machine, since the graphics is no longer that option due to Snow Leopard and what not
    5) They kept matte screens out because they would no longer have EPEAT GOLD status, as they said in the presentation, the glass helped them achieve that status (this doesn;t mean that Apple is absolutely through with Matte displays, it just means for the time being)

This is only speculation of course, and all of is relatively debateable.

25. andiwm2003 macrumors 601

andiwm2003

ok, put your money where your mouth is.

right now you get a 15 inch MBP refurb with 2.2 - 2.5 GHz with 8600GT for 1300-1500 dollar. They are brand new, 90-95% as fast as the current model, matte or glossy, firewire 800 and 400, express card slot, same size and weight, penryn, led screen.

only two disadvantages: hd complicated to change and design not the newest.

i dare you to find a similarly spec'd PC notebook of similar weight and size for less than $1500.

right now you can buy your dream mac for really cheap.

of course you won't because it's not the latest model. so you care about the latest design. you want the latest and greatest for cheap.

but don't pretend your decision is purely rational. it isn't.