Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

LouieSamman

macrumors 6502a
Original poster
Jul 23, 2008
Orlando, Florida
This thread is about most of Apples devices and not only is just about the iPhone. I have posted here because this has the most viewers.

Apples Black Borders. I have noticed a trend in their products with putting a black border around the screen.

Why do we see a thick border?

I think it justifies of it being there because the device has rounded edges and a screen has a sharp edge so they need to put a border.

But why so thick?

They need room inside the device and they utilize parts of the front of the device covered by borders, for space.

------------------------------------------------------

But rather than answering my own questions I'm here to talk about the borders becoming obsolete in newer models of Apples product as we might find out in a couple of years or sooner.

The borders makes sense with the iPad but an iPod nano?!? Apple is putting black borders around every new product but there will be a transition.

This is only do to no having enough space to put a full screen on the front but as tech gets smaller and apple has more room they can take the whole front of the device and make it all screen.

This would give their devices a new elegant look.

I have been waiting for this.

It would truly change the look of their device and show a more pro modern look.

Any thoughts?

fizzwinkus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
an old reason was as a transition between the your work space / focal length, and your background. to give you some visual separation and help you concentrate on whatever you're doing.

one example might be why a good bokeh is desired on portrait photos.

Gli.Azzuri

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2010
you have a good point but there has to be something there..
i quite like the black border on macbook pro's but not so much the ipad, ipod nano or iphone! they are all too big and unneccesary

Fliesen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 30, 2010
Austria
on the iPad: for holding purposes
on the iPod touch: most of the internals sit underneath the black top and bottom, the only thing under the display is the battery, that's how they manage to make it that thin
on the macbooks: i just don't think the aluminium would look any good underneath the glossy glass front that covers the whole display

fizzwinkus

macrumors 6502a
Jan 27, 2008
you have a good point but there has to be something there..
i quite like the black border on macbook pro's but not so much the ipad, ipod nano or iphone! they are all too big and unneccesary

the ipad and iphone black spaces offer just enough room for your thumb. the iphone's space is also needed for components. i don't know much about the ipod nano, but if you're talking about the new one, a friend of mine does custom electronics and took apart one of the new nanos. it is packed to the gills. there is no free space inside at all.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.