Apple's Black Friday Event Begins in US, Offers Up to $200 Apple Store Gift Card With Select Products

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Nov 23, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple's four-day Black Friday shopping event has now begun in the United States, offering customers free Apple Store gift cards worth up to $200 with the purchase of select new Apple products.

[​IMG]

Apple Store gift card values:iMac, iMac Pro, Mac Pro, MacBook, MacBook Pro, and old MacBook Air without a Retina display: $200
    10.5-inch iPad Pro: $100
    iPad mini 4 and sixth-generation 9.7-inch iPad: $50
    SIM-free iPhone 8, iPhone 8 Plus, iPhone 7, and iPhone 7 Plus: $50
    Apple Watch Series 3 models: $50
    HomePod: $50
    Apple TV 4K and fourth-generation Apple TV: $25
    Beats Solo3, Powerbeats3, and Studio3: $50There is a limit of two Apple Store gift cards per product category per customer.

What doesn't qualify:Apple's latest products, including the iPhone XS, iPhone XS Max, iPhone XR, new MacBook Air with Retina display, new Mac mini, Apple Watch Series 4 models, and new 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro models
    Refurbished products
    Apple products purchased with educational discount
    iPhones purchased via iPhone Upgrade Program
    Non-SIM-free iPhones
    Special edition Beats headphonesThe deals are available via Apple.com, by phone at 1-800-APPLE, and at Apple Stores through November 26, which is Cyber Monday, an increasingly popular online-focused shopping holiday that follows Black Friday.

Apple's event is also live in the United Kingdom, France, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, and select other countries.

Black Friday marks one of the few times in a year that Apple offers deals on its products. Be sure to read our Black Friday roundup for several other deals on Apple products and accessories, with larger discounts in many cases.

Article Link: Apple's Black Friday Event Begins in US, Offers Up to $200 Apple Store Gift Card With Select Products

2. L-U-R-C-H macrumors regular

L-U-R-C-H

Oh good... In-store credit so that Apple still makes money on your savings o_O

3. DrJohnnyN macrumors 65816

DrJohnnyN

4. rmoliv, Nov 23, 2018
    Last edited: Nov 23, 2018

rmoliv macrumors 6502a

I won't spend my money on old stuff.

5. lyngo macrumors 6502a

Big time HARD pass. Best Buy has better deals and savings up front.

6. levitynyc macrumors 65816

Better deals by Best Buy, Target, and Walmart.

Nothing from Apple at all.

7. Pelea macrumors 6502

Who doesn’t qualify :

• Apple products purchased with educational discount“
    Nice to see how much apple cares about students!!

8. Spizike9 macrumors regular

9. Apple 26.2 macrumors 6502a

Apple 26.2

10. crodonline macrumors member

crodonline

11. kawalerzysta macrumors regular

kawalerzysta

What gets me, is that in addition to weak deals, gift cars is not available when picking up the bought item. So if somebody buys 10.5 iPad Pro, they cannot use that gift card to buy lets say pencil, cover or other accessory in the store. They have to wait 24hrs and then they can use that card in physical store or online.

12. BobLoblaw513 macrumors newbie

It doesn't appear that purchasing online through an EPP link qualifies for the gift card either, at least when I tried. Any chance they would give the EPP discount and the gift card if I bought in person at an Apple store?

Also, can an Apple store gift card be used to purchase AppleCare+? I've been looking to pick up a 13" MBP and thought I'd at least wait until I knew what the Black Friday event was about.

13. Mr. Dee macrumors 68000

Mr. Dee

Not in the market for anything new, but I hope they run this again in 2020 when I am ready to upgrade.

14. 4look4rd macrumors regular

What happens to the gift cards if you return the computer? If the consumer gets to keep it, this system is bound to be ridden with fraud.

15. Macbook14in macrumors regular

can we take advantage of this loophole?

16. brofkand macrumors 6502

Typically your refund is reduced by the original value of the gift card. The gift card could then be returned if Apple allows it.

I'd rather have a discount off the price of the machine like other retailers are doing.

17. moldy lunchbox macrumors 6502a

This is a terrible and pathetic Black Friday sale. Embarrassing how greedy Apple is that they can’t even offer a decent deal for 1 day out the year. They even tried to hype this up too, next time just don’t show up at all. Rather than hype up the sale to get people excited and let them down.

18. 5hugknight macrumors newbie

5hugknight

No, unfortunately. The only thing that stacks with the offer is Apple GiveBack. (ie you want to trade in a device in the same transaction)

19. where is it macrumors 6502

where is it

It's always been the same, for years, always a laugh to see peoples dissapointment... I remember my first time...

20. kawalerzysta macrumors regular

kawalerzysta

I think you should be able. But it will have to be separate transaction that can be completed once you have gift card.

21. Cole Slaw macrumors 6502a

Cole Slaw

What a lame "shopping event".
    Almost impossible to pry a dime out of Tim's fingers. :apple:

22. CarlJ macrumors 68030

CarlJ

Whole lot of outraged people here. Which is weird, because Apple's deals this Black Friday don't seem grossly out of line with what they've been doing at this time of the year for many previous years.

So either you (collectively) aren't very observant (not familiar with Apple's history?), or you already had your narrative - "Apple is awful" - set, and this is just another chance to beat your outrage drum.

23. LovingTeddy macrumors 65816

LovingTeddy

It is ok to fraud Apple once a while...

I still remember I trade in my iPhone 6S for iPad Pro 12.9 then returned iPad Pro...Then trade in with other old iPad Mini 4... I got total about 280 dollar distcount... That was sweet...

Oh well... Only thing i have with Apple right now is that iPad Pro and very old 2013 Mac Mini right now... Not intereted with any Apple Product right now... But it was fun time when I tried to this...
    --- Post Merged, Nov 24, 2018 ---
    Apple on their greedy mind... never will do any good promotion... I generally looking at deals from other stores...

24. christo747 macrumors member

christo747

In Germany they are doing it again. Saying with a purchase of a product you get an iTunes/AppStore-Card of a certain value. So you put everything in your shopping card and it looks fine on the list they show. Then after you clicked on “buy” it’s all different. Then you see you will buy the card and get the product at a reduced price! Which is a big tax difference. - It’s a complete ripoff. It’s disgusting. Here Apple is at it’s lowest level treating customers. Shameful and unlawful too.
    --- Post Merged, Nov 24, 2018 ---
    Wrong. You are buying the gift card. The saving will be deducted from the cost of the product. So basically you can’t return the card when you used it.

25. deeddawg macrumors 604

Sorry for the bluntness, but you're delusional if you think Apple "cares" about anything other than making profits for their shareholders and thereby bonuses for their executives.

All that edu discounts do is help put equipment in the hands of students, thereby getting them used to the systems and more likely to buy when they get out into the real world and start making real money. Educators benefit, but also by the same token what the educators use will influence the students to follow suit in some/many pursuits.