Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's annual four-day Black Friday through Cyber Monday shopping event is now underway in the United States and select other countries, with customers able to receive a free Apple gift card with the purchase of select products through November 29.

apple-black-friday-shopping-event-2021.jpg

Participating countries include the United States, Canada, Australia, New Zealand, the UK, Ireland, France, Spain, Portugal, Italy, Germany, Belgium, the Netherlands, Sweden, Denmark, Finland, Norway, Switzerland, Luxembourg, Poland, Austria, Hungary, Czech Republic, the United Arab Emirates, and select other regions.

The promotion is available on Apple's online store, in the Apple Store app, and/or at Apple Store locations. As usual, refurbished products are not eligible for a gift card, and the offer cannot be combined with educational pricing.

Black Friday is one of the few occasions per year that Apple offers deals on its products, but better deals are often available through resellers like Amazon, so make sure to check out our Black Friday roundup for the latest discounts on the iPhone, iPad, Mac, Apple Watch, AirPods, accessories, and more.

Apple's gift card values in the United States are as follows:
  • $50 for iPhone 12, iPhone 12 mini, and iPhone SE
  • $25 for second-generation or third-generation AirPods
  • $50 for AirPods Pro
  • $75 for AirPods Max
  • $50 for Apple Watch SE and Apple Watch Series 3
  • $100 for 11-inch and 12.9-inch iPad Pro
  • $100 for MacBook Air, 13-inch MacBook Pro, and Mac mini
  • $200 for 27-inch iMac
  • $50 for Apple TV 4K and Apple TV HD
  • $50 for Magic Keyboard for iPad Pro and iPad Air
  • $25 for second-generation Apple Pencil, Smart Keyboard Folio, MagSafe Duo Charger, and four pack of AirTags
  • $25 for Beats Flex and Beats Studio Buds
  • $50 for Powerbeats Pro, Solo3 Wireless, and Studio3 Wireless
As usual, many of Apple's latest products are excluded from the offer, such as iPhone 13 and Apple Watch Series 7 models.

Apple gift cards are now all-in-one and can be used towards the purchase of products, subscription-based services like Apple Music and Apple TV+, App Store apps, iTunes Store content like TV shows and movies, iCloud+ storage, and more.

The full terms and conditions for Apple's shopping event are available here.

Article Link: Apple's Black Friday Promotion Now Underway in the U.S. and More Countries

ntg

macrumors regular
May 3, 2002
UK - Rushden, Northants
...but no mention on the page of the Homepod Mini :( (a reasonably-affordable entry into the 'world of Apple' for many)
yet Amazon are really plugging the Dots in their Black Friday sales.

A missed opportunity I think...

Reactions: DeepIn2U and 211

laptech

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I had a look around at UK websites to see if they do their usual Black Friday reductions and yep, true to form 'Get your Black Friday deals today'...'looks at website, 10%, 20% off', really Black Friday deals??!!!, not likely. I wonder if US retailers do the same.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

jcswim312

macrumors regular
Mar 25, 2008
Boston, Massachusetts
I just placed my order for the new Apple TV but it’s currently backordered and says it’s getting delivered between December 7-14

Also noticed that the tax is calculated on the amount after factoring in the gift card

Not sure if that is only true for some states but I live in Massachusetts and the rate is 6.25%

Apple did the same thing last Black Friday when I bought my HomePod- instead of paying tax on $299, I paid tax on $199 because of the $100 gift card promotion

Attachments

• 8900CE45-AE86-48A8-8986-A7472C76A5A7.jpeg
    8900CE45-AE86-48A8-8986-A7472C76A5A7.jpeg
    114 KB · Views: 418
Last edited:

Del Martes

macrumors regular
Nov 10, 2020
I just placed my order for the new Apple TV but it’s currently backordered and says it’s getting delivered between December 7-14

Also noticed that the tax is calculated on the amount after factoring in the gift card

Not sure if that is only true for some states but I live in Massachusetts and the rate it 6.25%

Apple did the same thing last Black Friday when I bought my HomePod- instead of paying tax on $299, I paid tax on $199 because of the $100 gift card promotion
I picked up an Apple Pencil 2. The tax was based on $129 as well rather than on $104. $129-$25 gift card.

Reactions: DeepIn2U

laptech

macrumors 65816
Apr 26, 2013
Earth
I picked up an Apple Pencil 2. The tax was based on $129 as well rather than on $104. $129-$25 gift card.
So your paying sales tax on the gift card? but your not buying the gift card are you? because I was under the impression the gift card is just that, Apple giving you a gift for purchasing a product of theirs thus no sales tax should be applied, correct?

willyx

macrumors regular
Apr 25, 2014
These "deals" are laughable. The full Apple Store price minus the "gift card" is the regular price on Amazon and other retailers for Apple products.

Sanme

macrumors member
Apr 28, 2017
Lmao
Does anyone have an idea if this applies to the student discount purchases?

PsykX

macrumors 65816
Sep 16, 2006
Still no way to buy an unlocked iPhone 13 at a discount in Canada then...

msp3

macrumors 6502
May 9, 2015
>tfw buy an iPhone 12 and get a nasty surprise that the Apple gift card only comes with the no-carrier model (incurs an extra $30 charge), and the $50 gift card disappears when you attempt to upgrade properly through your carrier as one of the four options presented

bigboy29

macrumors 6502
May 19, 2016
Lmao
Does anyone have an idea if this applies to the student discount purchases?
It does not, per the terms (fine print)

Resellers, public entities, government entities, nonprofit organizations, educational institutions, education purchasers, enterprise purchasers, and business purchasers do not qualify, and Apple reserves the right to cancel purchases made by such purchasers.

Also, no refurbished products or any other discount stacking:

Refurbished products, end-of-life products, and open box returns sold as-is are not eligible for this offer.

beerseagulls

macrumors 6502
Aug 18, 2021
with these deals, what happens if you need to return the product? do they just give you the refund minus the gift card amount? or can the unused gift card be returned and refunded as well?

thanks!

cardfan

macrumors 68040
Mar 23, 2012
It’s the Apple TV event. The rest is garbage considering I can get 10% off anything already.

B_rad_G

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2021
So your paying sales tax on the gift card? but your not buying the gift card are you? because I was under the impression the gift card is just that, Apple giving you a gift for purchasing a product of theirs thus no sales tax should be applied, correct?
No. You buy the product. Let's say Apple TV. They are discounting the price by $50, but also forcing you to purchase a $50 gift card. You will be charged for the gift card along with the discounted Apple TV. So, the total for the discounted Apple TV and the $50 gift card still equals their normal price. In the end... you do have a $50 gift card to spend on something else.

AppleTO

macrumors 6502
Oct 31, 2018
Toronto, Canada
No. You buy the product. Let's say Apple TV. They are discounting the price by $50, but also forcing you to purchase a $50 gift card. You will be charged for the gift card along with the discounted Apple TV. So, the total for the discounted Apple TV and the $50 gift card still equals their normal price. In the end... you do have a $50 gift card to spend on something else.
In this case you end up paying less sales tax right? Because the item is discounted by $50, and there is no tax on a gift card. (So the price isn’t exactly the same.)

Reactions: dazzlingirl
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.