Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

steveoh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
i am in need of a bluetooth headset. so obviously, i am looking to buy the headset from apple. looks sleek, and so far, apple has been treating me nicely. i believe in their products, but from the reviews i've read on apple.com, the apple bluetooth headset is a piece of junk.

anybody here have one or used one before?

shrewsburywolf

macrumors regular
Sep 21, 2007
I think the problem is as it has no 'ear clip' to hold it on your ear, unless it fits well in your ear you can have problems with it. If you can ask to try it out first.

Fuchal

macrumors 68030
Sep 30, 2003
Mine works great. Fits in my ear and doesnt fall out no matter what, too. It's just like an apple earbud, and includes foam pads to help it fit better.

Really slim and cool.

steveoh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
I think the problem is as it has no 'ear clip' to hold it on your ear, unless it fits well in your ear you can have problems with it. If you can ask to try it out first.

thats the least of my worries. i've heard that the headset is prone to statics and the lack of signal strength. apparently, even when the headset is just a few feet from the iphone, it loses signal.

Mine works great. Fits in my ear and doesnt fall out no matter what, too. It's just like an apple earbud, and includes foam pads to help it fit better.

Really slim and cool.

how is the sound quality? have you experienced statics and or loss of signal?

Zolk

macrumors member
Aug 3, 2006
Overall I'm very satisfied with mine.

While I haven't used it much with the phone in my pocket, while it's docked I'm able to walk around my entire (small) studio apartment with little issues. Only when I go behind walls does static occur. If there's a clear line of sight, I can easily go nearly 30 feet away from the phone and still get a decent signal. Plus, callers have said they can't even tell I'm on a Bluetooth headset.

steveoh

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 6, 2007
Overall I'm very satisfied with mine.

While I haven't used it much with the phone in my pocket, while it's docked I'm able to walk around my entire (small) studio apartment with little issues. Only when I go behind walls does static occur. If there's a clear line of sight, I can easily go nearly 30 feet away from the phone and still get a decent signal. Plus, callers have said they can't even tell I'm on a Bluetooth headset.

thanks for the input.

anybody know the return policy on the headset?

crtowles

macrumors member
Sep 14, 2007
Los Angeles, California, USA
thanks for the input.

anybody know the return policy on the headset?

They have a 14 day return policy.

BTW, mine works just fine. Static is only a problem if I go to far...I think Apple has a serious quality control problem with these. Some report problems others don't. The only real problem I had is it staying in my ear so I got a custom ear piece made from avery sound...problem solved.

C

pseybold

macrumors member
i had the jawbone and it was like wearing a cheese grater on my head. i bought the iphone bluetooth headset and at first there was some static....but once the 1.1.1 update came mine is now flawless. it is lighter that anything and sounds perfect!!!!!

sirnick4

macrumors newbie
May 17, 2007
So far, so good.

I just bought mine today and I love it so far. Static doesn't seem to be an issue for me.

I'll report back after I use it for awhile.

boss1

macrumors 6502a
Jan 8, 2007
A lot of the people who criticize the Apple BT headset are holding the device to an unrealistic standard.

I had the jawbone headset and while the battery life and reception quality was slightly better than the Apple BT headset it does look like a cheese grater.

Wearing one (jawbone) , even though it's stylish like no other headset, was attracting unneeded attention. The Jawbone was screaming "hey look over here i'm the dork wearing this cheese grater phone attachment on my head!!!, and every few seconds I pulsate a bright white light that not only makes me look like a startrek reject, it attracts a ton of mosquitoes at night so the side of my head I wear my Jawbone on is riddled with bites in the morning!!!"

anyway, I got tired of the cheesegrater jokes, and the mosquito bites very fast and returned my Jawbone. picked the Apple BT headset, it's discreet, lightweight, sound quality is very good (only an audiophile would complain or could tell there are better sounding sets).

ricosuave

macrumors 6502
Mar 27, 2007
In front of my mac
i had the jawbone and it was like wearing a cheese grater on my head. i bought the iphone bluetooth headset and at first there was some static....but once the 1.1.1 update came mine is now flawless. it is lighter that anything and sounds perfect!!!!!

Has anyone else experienced better reception with the 1.1.1. update? I had to return mine due to bad reception. It would not like me putting the iPhone in the pockets of my slacks! :eek:

rablat

macrumors 6502a
Oct 8, 2007
Classified NSA intel
Should it try another one

Well I purchased one this week.
I have to say I am not impressed at all.
The range stinks if you move the phone or touch the headset while
on a call it crackles and pops turn your head away from the phone and
same thing. Included accessories are great size and form and looks are fantastic.
But unless this is specific to my headset (and I dont think it is)
This will be my 1st apple product return.

koobcamuk

macrumors 68040
Oct 23, 2006
Plus, callers have said they can't even tell I'm on a Bluetooth headset the toilet.

:D couldn't resist!

I tried a BT headset and it worked fine for me. I don't want one though, so I won't bother to pony up the dough. However, I do already have a BT headset that works just swimmingly with it.

dalvin200

macrumors 68040
Mar 24, 2006
Nottingham, UK
just ordered mine.. (apple store is down for status updates though)

should receive it early next week and i will be using it almost everyday in the car..

will post my thoughts...

only thing i am worried about is the fit.. but i won't be walking around with it really.. just sitting in my car (dancing to some funky tunes of course :D)

DenniZ

macrumors 6502a
Oct 5, 2007
Liverpool, UK
I bought 2, I must say their better than those other flashing bricks that are worth £20.

Very miniumalistic and if it fits your ear then its perfect, not tried it on many phone calls although having a proper headphone in your ear instead of some other companies is a sigh of relief.

cwk2

macrumors newbie
Nov 29, 2007
I love the form factor of the headset but it is not the best I've ever had.
No you cannot listen to music via bluetooth at this time.

ndwgolf

macrumors regular
Nov 20, 2006
Phuket Thailand
I Have the Red Jawbone and love it, it is also well suited to the iPhone, if it wasn't Apple wouldn't sale them, it also is the same color as my car:):):)

rednote

macrumors newbie
Nov 30, 2007
STATIC is annoying

I bought an apple headset and I've got static from the first time I used it. Took it back for an exchange and still static. Funny thing is that I can make more static when I lower the phone to my side and back up to my ear.
I'm REALLY frustrated with it, cause I love the design. I'm going to try another brand to see if it's my phone...anyone else have issues with static?
-rod

ryguy417

macrumors newbie
Jan 1, 2006
Syracuse, New York
Does it work for this?

It *can* work, if you don't mind the sound coming out of your iPhone at the same time. Once you have your Bluetooth headset setup, try listening to a song (without the headphones plugged in). Once the song is playing, go to your Visual Voicemail and click on the "Audio" button in the top right-hand corner. You can now choose which place to play your music. Tap on your Bluetooth headset and you'll hear music coming through the headset...and throug the phone. Not perfect, but it's something.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.