Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Bad Paper

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 20, 2007
graphite clamshell
On the Apple Store website it warns you against buying third-party RAM for your Mac Pro:

"Please note: Apple created a more robust thermal specification for the Mac Pro FB-DIMM heat sinks that provide more efficient cooling than many other FB-DIMMs. These FB-DIMMs require less airflow to stay cool and allow the internal fans to spin at slower speeds, improving system acoustics. FB-DIMMs made by other manufacturers that do not include a sufficient heat sink may cause the fans to run faster (and louder) or the memory chips to run slower so as not to overheat."

What is the brand, if any, of the chips included with the Mac Pro as shipped? What third-party chips run at a good temperature?

I am concerned with the acoustics, actually, and want to keep those fan speeds down. Also seeking low-noise drives, if anyone wants to post a good suggestion.

termina3

macrumors 65816
Jul 16, 2007
TX
I use a Seagate 7200.11 and it's near-silent. That said, I've heard others complain that the same line is noisy... take it as you will.

yeroen

macrumors 6502a
Mar 8, 2007
Cambridge, MA
The RAM sticks including the heat spreader are Apple OEM. The DDR modules themselves on the RAM sticks may vary. The ones I have are manufactured by Nanya. The AMB chip may be Samsung.

I have 2GB (4X512) of Apple OEM RAM alongside 4GB (4X1GB) of OWC Netlist RAM. Early on after the Mac Pro's introduction, some 3rd party RAM suppliers were selling FB-DIMM sticks w/o the robust heat spreaders found on the Apple OEM models, hence Apples warning. FB-DIMM is traditionally a server memory, and before the Mac Pro it was usually found on rack-mounted servers where the cooling environment is quite different than that required by and desired of a silent desktop. These days, that's been sorted out and most 3rd party RAM sellers who sell memory specifically for the Mac Pro supply the modules with heat spreaders comparable to those found on the Apple OEM brand.

For RAM, I'd recommend either OWC or Crucial.

For a quiet hard drive, the Western Digital Caviars are reputed to be among the least noisy. I have the 750GB model and it's much quieter and higher performance than the Seagate 7200.9 160GB model that came with my MP.

tribe3

macrumors 6502
Nov 1, 2005
Vienna, VA - USA
On the Apple Store website it warns you against buying third-party RAM for your Mac Pro:

"Please note: Apple created a more robust thermal specification for the Mac Pro FB-DIMM heat sinks that provide more efficient cooling than many other FB-DIMMs. These FB-DIMMs require less airflow to stay cool and allow the internal fans to spin at slower speeds, improving system acoustics. FB-DIMMs made by other manufacturers that do not include a sufficient heat sink may cause the fans to run faster (and louder) or the memory chips to run slower so as not to overheat."

What is the brand, if any, of the chips included with the Mac Pro as shipped? What third-party chips run at a good temperature?

I am concerned with the acoustics, actually, and want to keep those fan speeds down. Also seeking low-noise drives, if anyone wants to post a good suggestion.

Here you can check for yourself the differences between Apple OEM Memory and 3rd party (in this case Crucial) memory, : http://web.mac.com/tribe3/iWeb/Site/Library.html

Cheers

Roy

macrumors 6502
Jul 6, 2006

You are misquoting Apple. If English is not your first language, then I can understand. (Southern American is my first language :)) If you read Apple's statement carefully, what Apple is warning you against is buying FB-DIMMs from manufacturers that do not include the heat sinks on each ram which may result in your fans running faster or memory chips to run slower to avoid overheating (on the Mac Pro). Nothing in the statement by Apple says "don't buy 3rd party ram, just buy Apple's ram".

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.