Apple's CarPlay Works Alongside BlackBerry's QNX Car Platform

LordVic

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2011
The touch screen isn't made by Apple. Apple can't guarantee the fast and responsive UI as it is on the iPhone and iPad.
The biggest hurdle Apple is going to face is the UI and responsiveness.

The problem with car headunits is that, unlike a phone, they serve a much different purpose.

Capacitive touch for example isn't really that good a feature in a car. How many people wear gloves when driving? I know i't sbeen on average -15c for most of this winter. I drive with gloves on. You can't use a capacitive touch display with gloves on... and since its the car, you kind of have to for certain things.

you also don't want the headunit to require fine motor control to interact with. its a car and you're driving while using it, meaning the less attention you need to do give the display while interacting, the better. pinch to zoom a map while driving? thats too much attention IMHO.

Car displays have to be usable by covered gloved hands, as well as be primarily 1 digit.

So, they're likely all going to contain slower and more cumbersome touch input... its just the nature of the beast.

bbbb4b

macrumors 6502
May 15, 2011
This is great news. It sheds some light on how it will work if you don't own an iPhone.

The Apple Extremists are probably screaming at the top of their lungs with outrage, lol.
My God. I can actually feel your embarrassment for that comment.
My condolences.

Terrin

macrumors 6502
Apr 5, 2011
This sucks. CarPlay is merely a layer using someone else's OS with someone else's hardware, seemingly.

I doubt Apple can leverage the quality and UX we're familiair with without fully integrating the hardware and software.
Why does it suck? Car manufacturers need to support a variety of different manufacturers of smart phones. Apple isn't offering a system that embraces other platforms. This approach makes sense. Apple users will have an Apple supplied interface and functions. Users of other phones still can have their phones do things like work with Bluetooth. Nothing sucks about it at all. Further, it is clear Apple worked with all parties to ensure the experience works well.

tgi

macrumors 65816
Aug 29, 2012
Any chance that we will be able to integrate this into a car that doesn't have it from the factory. I would love to be able to do that.

mikeo007

macrumors 65816
Mar 18, 2010
Any chance that we will be able to integrate this into a car that doesn't have it from the factory. I would love to be able to do that.
I think it's possible that aftermarket headunits could eventually offer CarPlay functionality.

Btrthnezr3

macrumors 6502a
Aug 5, 2010
Texas
I notice that the picture featured in the article is a 2014 Civic (EX or higher)...I own one of these with that touchscreen interface. I'm wondering if this will require a firmware update for me to use. As of right now, we have the ability to "tether" our phone to the car but requires the lightning to hdmi adapter.

Maybe I missed it, but will be looking forward to updates.

TonyYYZ

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2014
Toronto, Canada
My God. I can actually feel your embarrassment for that comment.
My condolences.
You sound mad. Yeah, so mad.

why? Its providing an airplay hub. Who cares what it runs.
What? I didn't have any issue with it. Just stating an observation from the previous articles about this topic and how crazy the extremist fanboys were acting about the subject.

----------

Which is to say, CarPlay itself won't work without an iPhone... but CarPlay is a feature of these systems, no different from AppRadio or MirrorLink, not the system itself. Much like AppRadio/MirrorLink support in this Pioneer head unit: http://www.pioneerelectronics.com/PUSA/Car/GPS-Navigation/AVIC-X850BT.
Exactly. This was an unknown up until this point, whether or not CarPlay was a standalone feature or an add-on to an existing infotainment unit.

Jacquesass

macrumors regular
May 6, 2003
Visit site
Oh, the irony.

Audi was using QNX for their recent versions of MMI and people loved the UI (at least relative to COMMAND or iDrive). They decide to shift to Android because they want to make it easier for developers to write "apps" for MMI. Carplay rolls out with support for QNX-based infotainment systems ... and Audi is no longer on the list of automakers working with Apple.

GM and Honda are also supposedly working with Google on Android infotainment systems and are on the Carplay list, so Audi (and VW/Bentley/Lamborghini/Porsche/SEAT) could still end up with Carplay support, but, oh, the irony.

TonyYYZ

macrumors member
Feb 20, 2014
Toronto, Canada
Oh, the irony.

Audi was using QNX for their recent versions of MMI and people loved the UI (at least relative to COMMAND or iDrive). They decide to shift to Android because they want to make it easier for developers to write "apps" for MMI. Carplay rolls out with support for QNX-based infotainment systems ... and Audi is no longer on the list of automakers working with Apple.

GM and Honda are also supposedly working with Google on Android infotainment systems and are on the Carplay list, so Audi (and VW/Bentley/Lamborghini/Porsche/SEAT) could still end up with Carplay support, but, oh, the irony.
Actually, Audi stated that they will be working with Apple for future offerings in the car. Just that right now they are proceeding with Android because that's where the numbers are.

paradox00

macrumors 65816
Sep 29, 2009
The touch screen isn't made by Apple. Apple can't guarantee the fast and responsive UI as it is on the iPhone and iPad.
Read my post again. They can specify whatever they want. If you don't meet the specs, you can't license CarPlay.

----------

Exactly. This was an unknown up until this point, whether or not CarPlay was a standalone feature or an add-on to an existing infotainment unit.
Unconfirmed, but obvious. Kind of like when you wake up at noon, but haven't opened the blinds to see if the sun is up yet. I have no idea why people thought this worked any differently.

Krevnik

macrumors 68040
Sep 8, 2003
Visit site
Except those of us saying this was what Apple was doing since the beginning, which was further bolstered by evidence from devs who rooted out references to AirPlay driving the video feed for CarPlay.

The bigger question was more: why not license MirrorLink? And the more I dig in, the more sense it makes for Apple not to.

1) MirrorLink requires you to certify all apps through them, at extra cost for a certificate. This doesn't really create a great experience assuming it looks like Apple does want to open this up to 3rd parties more widely going forward (feels like Spotify/etc are test beds for the SDK and review process for in-car entitlements).

2) MirrorLink doesn't support Wifi (yet). References to Wifi were found for CarPlay, and it does sound like it is coming, just not at first.

3) Is Siri using USB for CarPlay? That is another thing MirrorLink doesn't support, and it would improve the experience rather than using Hands Free mode over BT to shuttle the voice data over.

For me, the big unknown is how wide the 3rd party app support will go. Will Apple really let app devs submit apps for review requesting in-car entitlements to enable themselves for this UI? If so, it could be brilliant. Let Waze, Google, Garmin and Tom Tom get on board, and then the user can pretty much pick the type of mapping they want (on device or on demand), and the features they care about (crowdsourced traffic, etc) determine what navigation they use with a nice large double-din sized screen.

I currently use a Kenwood head unit only for iPod/Podcast playback and the Garmin navigation. Give me a version of Pioneer's AppRadio 3 that supports CarPlay, and either Garmin or Tom Tom (for GPS out in the back country)... and I'll switch in a heartbeat.

nagromme

macrumors G5
May 2, 2002
www.teammacosx.org
This sucks. CarPlay is merely a layer using someone else's OS with someone else's hardware, seemingly.

I doubt Apple can leverage the quality and UX we're familiair with without fully integrating the hardware and software.
Good news: they can. But I blame Apple for letting people assume this is comparable to past in-car tech, when in fact it's totally different. What is actually is was clear from the start, but Apple could have made it clearer.

So to clarify: Apple fully controls the OS, the UI, and the hardware driving it. Because ALL of that is handled by your iPhone.

The car's screen is just a "dumb peripheral"--it displays exactly what the iPhone transmits to it, and sends touch actions back to the phone in turn. (That's why CarPlay sounds like AirPlay.) Apple will be designing for a different kind of use than a normal iPhone: bigger screen, different touch method, big elements friendly to drivers. Which is why CarPlay exists instead of just dash-mounting your phone. But those differences are being handled by Apple's software and Apple's UI.

That's why it's possible to add support to all manner of car systems using all manner of OS's, and why it doesn't pretend to replace whatever a car company already uses. Which is a brilliant solution, far more practical than trying to make the screen itself and a whole new OS flavor and hardware unit to sit behind it, and convince all the manufacturers to scrap what they have—and involve Apple in unrelated, very car-specific things like climate control and fuel consumption. Why bother? Let the car handle that stuff as always. The iPhone is driving this.

That's not at all like what people are used to in past vehicle systems. People keep complaining about something this isn't.

name99

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004

So you suggest what instead? Do nothing?

In case you hadn't noticed, cell providers and ISPs also suck. But we (including Apple the company and all its customers) put up with it because there isn't a realistic alternative. As much as you may love the idea of Apple magically somehow becoming a competitive manufacturer of automobiles, that's unlikely to happen any time soon.

Half a loaf is better than none.
We have one (2007) car which has a built in sound system which is, to put it bluntly, crap. It claims to support MP3 CDs, but at least once a month it does some sort of reset screwup and jumps to the beginning of the CD. Maybe not a big deal if you listen to music, but FSCKING irritating if you listen to audiobooks.
Plus other screwups like occasionally not displaying the metadata properly, noticeable amount of time to go from ignition to audio is actually playing, can't play VBR MP3s worth a damn, etc.

The second (1992) car had the old audio system die and replaced with a 2012 head unit which can talk to iPods. So I play the audio books from a 1st gen iPod nano. This system has, NOT ONCE, ever caused any sort of problems. Delegate the audio playback and metadata display to Apple (via the iPod) and it actually works. Amazing.

Yes, yes, we can all imagine some sort of marvelous future where the car isn't just using a CarPlay layer but is based on Apple Steel and Apple Tires and an Apple Steering Wheel. But how about we enjoy the fact that the system we get TODAY is a whole lot better than what was available last year?

----------

The biggest hurdle Apple is going to face is the UI and responsiveness.

The problem with car headunits is that, unlike a phone, they serve a much different purpose.

Capacitive touch for example isn't really that good a feature in a car. How many people wear gloves when driving? I know i't sbeen on average -15c for most of this winter. I drive with gloves on. You can't use a capacitive touch display with gloves on... and since its the car, you kind of have to for certain things.

you also don't want the headunit to require fine motor control to interact with. its a car and you're driving while using it, meaning the less attention you need to do give the display while interacting, the better. pinch to zoom a map while driving? thats too much attention IMHO.

Car displays have to be usable by covered gloved hands, as well as be primarily 1 digit.

So, they're likely all going to contain slower and more cumbersome touch input... its just the nature of the beast.
It's VERY likely that Apple has stringent licensing arrangements regarding CarPlay --- just like they have regarding AirPlay, Lighting, and other 3rd party hardware. They'll vet your HW, and if it sucks, no license for you.

This is just common sense. Android and Windows are in the business of allowing any random HW vendor to connect to their SW, not matter how lousy it may be. This has NEVER been Apple's business model, so why do you think it's suddenly going to change?

LordVic

macrumors 603
Sep 7, 2011
It's VERY likely that Apple has stringent licensing arrangements regarding CarPlay --- just like they have regarding AirPlay, Lighting, and other 3rd party hardware. They'll vet your HW, and if it sucks, no license for you.

This is just common sense. Android and Windows are in the business of allowing any random HW vendor to connect to their SW, not matter how lousy it may be. This has NEVER been Apple's business model, so why do you think it's suddenly going to change?
one problem I can think off facing Apple with that is the car companies.

Apple might be the size they are, but i truly doubt they are going to have significant sway to force car manufacturers to re-design and re-engineer their dashes to fit a specific, fixed size, display. Even amongst the same car company (eg, toyota does this), Different car lines have different size units, with controls often custom designed around the interior of the car, with different sizes. The screen is meant to be part of the overall car design.

If Apple is going to demand a stringent hardware just to use Airplay, I can see the car industry, one that is older, and arguably infinately more powerful and bigger in money, selling items worth thousands (and hundreds of thousands), I can see them telling Apple to piss off, they'll stick to what they have.

just my .02

name99

macrumors 6502a
Jun 21, 2004
one problem I can think off facing Apple with that is the car companies.

Apple might be the size they are, but i truly doubt they are going to have significant sway to force car manufacturers to re-design and re-engineer their dashes to fit a specific, fixed size, display. Even amongst the same car company (eg, toyota does this), Different car lines have different size units, with controls often custom designed around the interior of the car, with different sizes. The screen is meant to be part of the overall car design.

If Apple is going to demand a stringent hardware just to use Airplay, I can see the car industry, one that is older, and arguably infinately more powerful and bigger in money, selling items worth thousands (and hundreds of thousands), I can see them telling Apple to piss off, they'll stick to what they have.

just my .02
It's generally a bad idea to point out the impossibility of something that has ALREADY HAPPENED...
Just saying.

osofast240sx

macrumors 68030
Mar 25, 2011
The number of Android devices out there compared to iOS.

Nono, not at all. Their infotainment unit will be designed using Android but there is no way they will ignore iOS devices.
What good are android users if they're not willing to pay for anything!