Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated its Clips app designed for the iPhone and the iPad, introducing Animoji and Memoji support for the first time. With the Animoji and Memoji addition, video recordings can be made with the Animoji and Memoji characters.

Users can share personal video messages, slideshows, school projects and more, with Animoji and Memoji able to follow the movement of a user's face for "fun selfie videos" using the front-facing camera. Prior to now, Animoji and Memoji were limited to FaceTime and Messages.

appleclipsmemoji-800x749.jpg

Memoji created and customized in the Messages app will be integrated automatically into clips, and Animoji and Memoji video clips can be layered with existing Clips features like filters, animated text, and music.

For those unfamiliar with the Clips app, it's a video editing app that lets users combine video clips, images, and photos with voice-based titles, stickers, music, filters, and graphics to create unique videos that can be shared on social media.

Today's update also introduces new stickers featuring Mickey and Minnie Mouse, along with a new winter-themed poster. Using Animoji and Memoji in Clips requires a device with a TrueDepth camera.

Clips was last updated in April 2019 before today's major Animoji and Memoji addition. The app can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple's Clips App Gains Support for Memoji and Animoji, Plus New Stickers

AngerDanger

Graphics
Staff member
Dec 9, 2008
I find these cartoon-human avatars ugly and repulsive, just like Microsoft’s.
Yeah, I'm not normally one to jump on the everything-Apple-does-to-appeal-to-young-people-is-bad bandwagon, but there's something about Memoji I've always thought looked kinda… off? I just really don't like them.

Reactions: MacLawyer

RogerWilco

macrumors 6502a
Jul 29, 2011
The latest iOS update came with annoying suggestions that try to get users interested in memoji and similar "features" in the messages app. This is the kind of tactic Microsoft used and it is unlike Apple to push this crappola on their customers.

stephen1108

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2007
Well, I’m actually glad that animoji and memoji are finally available outside of the Messages app.....

lunarworks

macrumors 68000
Jun 17, 2003
Toronto, Canada
Big hat-tip to Apple for developing apps that foster and inspirer creativity for those with imagination, artistry, and vision.
[automerge]1575573339[/automerge]

My wife, who's an artist in different media, uses it.
My wife doesn't know about Clips, but I'm gonna tell her about it. She likes Animoji, and loves social media, so she might get some use out of it.

But man, it never ceases to amaze me how some people here don't have an ounce of joy in their body.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.