Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

Apple's Clips App Updated With New Posters, Camcorder Filter, Live Titles and More

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today updated its Clips app for the iPhone and the iPad to introduce new posters, new title and caption options, updated stickers, a camcorder filter, and more.

The Clips app, for those unfamiliar with it, is a video editing app that's designed to let users combine video clips, images, and photos with voice-based titles, music, filters, and graphics to create unique videos that can be shared on social media.

Apple has added a new camcorder filter that's designed to introduce a retro video camera look for your videos, and there are eight new poster background options with colorful vintage designs, a camcorder recording screen, and an animated globe in honor of earth day.

You can create titles and captions using three newly introduced Live Titles styles, and there are new 8-bit and 3D stickers you can add to your videos. Songs created in GarageBand or other music apps can be added to your Clips projects, and there's now ClassKit support to allow students to deliver video assignments to teachers through the Schoolwork app. Full release notes are below:
- Use the new camcorder filter to give your videos a retro video camera look
- Choose from 8 new posters including options with solid backgrounds, colorful vintage designs, a classic blue camcorder recording screen, and an animated globe to celebrate Earth Day.
- Create titles and captions with 3 new Live Titles styles featuring static text that appears all at once or animated text that highlights each word as it's spoken
- Apply new 8-bit and 3D-styled stickers to add emphasis to your videos
- Create songs in GarageBand and other music apps, then add them directly to new or existing Clips projects
- Duplicate and rename projects
- Share projects with friends via AirDrop or email, save them to Files, or upload them to cloud storage service with share extensions
- ClassKit support lets students deliver video assignments to teachers using the Schoolwork app
Apple first released clips in early 2017 and has since updated it multiple times. Clips is compatible with the iPhone 5s and later, the original iPad Air and later, and the iPad mini 2 and later. Style transfer effects require the iPhone 7 or 2017 iPad Pro or later, while Selfie Scenes require an iPhone or iPad Pro with TrueDepth Camera.

Clips can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple's Clips App Updated With New Posters, Camcorder Filter, Live Titles and More

Mikey44

macrumors regular
Mar 6, 2012
Clips feels like a red headed step child of Apple's offerings... although becoming less so with the new services initiatives...

Reactions: btrach144
Comment

tardman91

macrumors 65816
Oct 21, 2009
Tampa Area, FL
Never heard of it.
Same here.

Does it let you record video through the app, or only play around with video you've already recorded? Kind of sounds like iMovie a little. I don't mess with video editing that much, especially on my phone, but this seems like it might be pretty intuitive.

Comment

Unregistered 4U

macrumors 68020
Jul 22, 2002
Same here.

Does it let you record video through the app, or only play around with video you've already recorded? Kind of sounds like iMovie a little. I don't mess with video editing that much, especially on my phone, but this seems like it might be pretty intuitive.
It’s quick movie editing for the Social Medias. Like Snapchat, Instagram and such.

Comment

nutmac

macrumors 601
Mar 30, 2004
Lol, I forgot this even existed.
I tried it few times, but I think I am not hip enough to use Clips. I prefer to shoot video in landscape-orientation (at full 4K resolution), so that I can watch them on my computer or TV without tilting my head 90 degrees.

Clips is obviously meant for social media, which I share to once in awhile. But most of my consumption is for my family, not Instagram.

Camera app should borrow some of Clips' features, such as live title, hold to record, and projects. Other than, I am good.

Comment

Classie

macrumors 6502
Nov 3, 2018
Sweden
I really like this app, but must admit that it isn’t for me I’ve made some fun videos; easy and with great wow-effect :)
Can’t complain about new features - gonna try it out.

Comment

chrisduketv

macrumors member
Nov 10, 2007
SoCal
Still no support for vertical video? Wow. You guys are on top of current trends, Apple. Spot on

Until vertical video support is added, this app is dead to me ☠️

Reactions: eyeseeyou
Comment

applepuree

macrumors 6502
Aug 15, 2014
So spend over 1600€ on a smartphone to make your video look like a 30 year old+ camcorder film...... I could buy a camcorder for like under 100€ instead.

Clips does have some nice features, but the camcorder effect is not a must have imho.

Comment

Osxguy

macrumors member
Jun 23, 2010
San Jose
I open this app on accident thus draining my battery moved it to the last screen and it finally got auto uninstalled. This app is crap who wants to see something filmed vertically? I’m sorry but this app is evident of current Apple
Offerings.

Comment

RealMonster

macrumors regular
Oct 28, 2007
Can it work with their OWN IMAGE FORMATS yet? Live Photos appear as stills, so you still have to get a third party app to export the live photo as a movie if you want to use it.

I've used it now and then to string a few still images together as a montage and then add a bit of music to it, but it's pretty infrequent.

Comment
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.