Apple's Clips App Updated With New Posters, Camcorder Filter, Live Titles and More

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Apr 2, 2019.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Apple today updated its Clips app for the iPhone and the iPad to introduce new posters, new title and caption options, updated stickers, a camcorder filter, and more.

The Clips app, for those unfamiliar with it, is a video editing app that's designed to let users combine video clips, images, and photos with voice-based titles, music, filters, and graphics to create unique videos that can be shared on social media.

[​IMG]

Apple has added a new camcorder filter that's designed to introduce a retro video camera look for your videos, and there are eight new poster background options with colorful vintage designs, a camcorder recording screen, and an animated globe in honor of earth day.

You can create titles and captions using three newly introduced Live Titles styles, and there are new 8-bit and 3D stickers you can add to your videos. Songs created in GarageBand or other music apps can be added to your Clips projects, and there's now ClassKit support to allow students to deliver video assignments to teachers through the Schoolwork app. Full release notes are below:
    Apple first released clips in early 2017 and has since updated it multiple times. Clips is compatible with the iPhone 5s and later, the original iPad Air and later, and the iPad mini 2 and later. Style transfer effects require the iPhone 7 or 2017 iPad Pro or later, while Selfie Scenes require an iPhone or iPad Pro with TrueDepth Camera.

Clips can be downloaded from the App Store for free. [Direct Link]

Article Link: Apple's Clips App Updated With New Posters, Camcorder Filter, Live Titles and More

2. Mikey44 macrumors regular

Mikey44

Clips feels like a red headed step child of Apple's offerings... although becoming less so with the new services initiatives...

3. AlbinoPigeon macrumors regular

4. tardman91 macrumors 65816

tardman91

Same here.

Does it let you record video through the app, or only play around with video you've already recorded? Kind of sounds like iMovie a little. I don't mess with video editing that much, especially on my phone, but this seems like it might be pretty intuitive.

5. IRockThat828pScreen macrumors regular

IRockThat828pScreen

Never understood the point of this app. Just build all this into the iMessage camera.

6. hortod1 macrumors regular

hortod1

7. BootsWalking macrumors 65816

I love the Clips app but it eats through the battery like a ravenous electricity monster.

8. Unregistered 4U macrumors 6502

It’s quick movie editing for the Social Medias. Like Snapchat, Instagram and such.

9. JGIGS macrumors 65816

JGIGS

10. IRockThat828pScreen macrumors regular

IRockThat828pScreen

I literally had to look that up to remember what it was

11. nutmac macrumors 601

I tried it few times, but I think I am not hip enough to use Clips. I prefer to shoot video in landscape-orientation (at full 4K resolution), so that I can watch them on my computer or TV without tilting my head 90 degrees.

Clips is obviously meant for social media, which I share to once in awhile. But most of my consumption is for my family, not Instagram.

Camera app should borrow some of Clips' features, such as live title, hold to record, and projects. Other than, I am good.

12. CrzyP macrumors 6502

13. JGIGS macrumors 65816

JGIGS

You may have to do the same with Clips one day. ;)

14. Classie macrumors regular

I really like this app, but must admit that it isn’t for me I’ve made some fun videos; easy and with great wow-effect :)
    Can’t complain about new features - gonna try it out.

15. christhis macrumors newbie

christhis

Still no support for vertical video? Wow. You guys are on top of current trends, Apple. Spot on

Until vertical video support is added, this app is dead to me ☠️

16. applepuree macrumors 6502

applepuree

So spend over 1600€ on a smartphone to make your video look like a 30 year old+ camcorder film...... I could buy a camcorder for like under 100€ instead.

Clips does have some nice features, but the camcorder effect is not a must have imho.

17. T'hain Esh Kelch macrumors 601

T'hain Esh Kelch

I think these comments show that the majority of Macrumors userbase is over 25 years.

18. Osxguy macrumors member

Osxguy

I open this app on accident thus draining my battery moved it to the last screen and it finally got auto uninstalled. This app is crap who wants to see something filmed vertically? I’m sorry but this app is evident of current Apple
    Offerings.

19. SDJim macrumors member

SDJim

20. RealMonster macrumors member

RealMonster

Can it work with their OWN IMAGE FORMATS yet? Live Photos appear as stills, so you still have to get a third party app to export the live photo as a movie if you want to use it.

I've used it now and then to string a few still images together as a montage and then add a bit of music to it, but it's pretty infrequent.

21. adamw macrumors regular

adamw

A new version of the Clips app is welcome news!

22. Unregistered 4U macrumors 6502

LOL!

23. Solomani macrumors 68040

Solomani

I'd wager good money that the median userbase age is closer to 40+.