Apple's commitment to the environment? Non-existent.

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Taegre, Jun 10, 2009.

1. Taegre macrumors member

Hi all,

I ordered a new MBP 15-inch with a 2.66 GHz processor plus an iPod touch (w/ warranties for both) on tuesday. I'm am incredibly excited to get them as this will be my first computer of my very own.

Today, Apple shipped everything. Guess in how many shipments?

1? No.

2? No.

3? YES.

I'm getting one package for the iPod Touch, one for the MBP, and one package just for the warranties. All in the vicinity of two days. All packages need to be signed for. Apple used both FedEx and Puralator.

I understand that sometimes they not be coming from same places, but is it really that unprofitable to keep the stock MBPs in the same warehouse as the iPods? None of my packages are coming from China or the States. They are all coming from Canada (different places).

Sorry about the rant. I'm really antsy and excited.

I wish they had the option for sending it all in one package, like Amazon.

Nihar

2. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

First of all, Apple does care about the environment. Second, this rarely happens but is at times unavoidable. How do you think Apple would get the iPods to the MBP station? Using a truck. Thats no better than sending another box.

3. JNB macrumors 604

JNB

And what exactly does this have to do with "the environment"? Oh, I know where you're going with it, but did you ever consider the cost--and "environmental"--savings by doing it this way instead of shipping all these pieces to a second, single shipment point, just to deliver to your door in one bundle? You'd ask them to increase their carbon footprint overall to save a little from the last warehouse to you? Oh, the irony. :D

4. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Umm... Apple has tried to make progress towards their footprint. Using a computer is probably not environmentally friendly in general, but they are making an attempt, which is two giant steps ahead of two years ago.

5. Abstract macrumors Penryn

Abstract

They were the worst in the industry, they've taken steps to improve, and yes, their shipping practice can still be really environmentally unfriendly at times. You're not the first to complain about this. ;)

And sometimes, they'll ship a really small item (e.g., a new AC adapter) in a really really big cardboard box, which decreases the number of items a truck can hold.

6. Taegre thread starter macrumors member

Huh...tone really doesn't transfer well on the internet.

My observation that it takes Apple three shipments, concurrently, by different routes, two different couriers, was more like a *headshake* moment. A bit ludicrous,really. And if they are doing this for everyone in Vancouver who orders a MBP and iPod touch together (which should be a lot of people because of the BTS deal), then Apple would be paying a pretty penny on shipping alone.

Calm down guys, this is just another ridiculous moment that comes along every now and again. Like shipping a small power adapter in a massive box, as stated above.

A massive company like Apple, even if they do try their best, are still generating a massive amount of green house gasses. But probably no more than any other company really.

7. jay1118 macrumors member

jay1118

I dont buy into this "the environment is in trouble!" nonsense so I dont really care if Apple is environmentally friendly or not.

8. Hellhammer Moderator

Hellhammer

Staff Member

If you want to save environment, walk to nearest store by feet and pick up every thrash you see on the way. The same truck that picked up your iPod from warehouse visits that warehouse everyday, it didn't come to pick you iPod only.

9. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Yeah, we all know this. If you don't like it, don't give them the means to continue doing environmental damage and don't buy their products.

10. uberamd macrumors 68030

uberamd

Well he/she better hop off the computer also, after all these servers that are all over the world, running 24/7/365 do eat up a TON of electricity. If you are really concerned over 3 boxes coming to your house, think about how much electricity computers use all the time.

11. thegoldenmackid macrumors 604

thegoldenmackid

Huh? Your title is "Apple's commitment to the environment? Non-existent." I mean that sounds like you are stating that they have nothing that would be a positive step for the environment, the reality is, even the doubters must admit they have improved.

If this is such a large problem, turn off your computer and then call Apple and give them a suggestion. I agree that shipping things in excess is by nature excessive, but one wrong does not erase one right.