Apple's communication strategy iPhone 8 vs. iPhone 7

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mark-vdw, Sep 6, 2016.

1. mark-vdw macrumors regular

Question about all the leaks jumping up about the "iPhone 8". It is my understanding that a significant portion of the "leaks" about Apple products are initiated by Apple as part of their marketing & communication strategy via trusted outlets (John Gruber, etc), rather than non-controlled leaks coming from the supply chain. But the amount of early "leaks" about the iPhone 8 is more than I can remember from previous generations, especially given the timing: the iPhone 8 leaks are coming at the appropriate time within the iPhone 7 hype cycle.

Is it right to come to the conclusion that Apple is purposefully leaking info about the iPhone 8 even before the reveal of the iPhone 7? If so, why would they be doing this? How does this make sense from a marketing POV, unless they are trying to soften the blow for a "minor" upgrade cycle? Or might Apple be trolling us all and wetting our appetites for features which we think are a year away, only to do a surprise reveal tomorrow? (that last one seems like a longshot to me given that supply chain rumors don't support it, but you never know...)

2. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

I, like you, cannot imagine Apple purposefully leaking anything beyond the current product (and I even doubt that the majority of the time). Apple is notoriously secretive and would have little if nothing to gain from leaking such a distant product.

It's my belief that strategic leaks are much more scarce than most believe them to be. Keeping technology under wraps is extremely difficult in this day and age. Mr Cook's "doubling down" on secrecy is said so tongue-in-cheek now that it's akin to Bush's "Mission Accomplished" banner.

3. LoveToMacRumors macrumors 68020

LoveToMacRumors

It could, hard to say, could be all part of marketing scheme, but I believe it's just the fact it's going to be 10 years and more changes are coming for the iPhone 8.

4. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

5. spoa94 macrumors 6502a

spoa94

THIS^^^ This is what I've been saying! I am holding out hope that tomorrow Apple will blow us away with a new redesign and all the goodies that have been rumored for 2017
    --- Post Merged, Sep 6, 2016 ---
    10 year anniversary sure BUT this year is the 10TH flagship iPhone release

6. willmtaylor macrumors G3

willmtaylor

Nah. We would've had more leaks.

7. TheRealAlex macrumors 65816

Use what we Already know.

#1. iPhone 7 is very likely deliberately identical to the 6 on purpose. So the 8 makes a bigger splash.
    #2. The iPhone 8 will be the 10 Anniversary model and Apple will very likely make a BIG deal about it.
    #3. Samsung deal for OLED displays, you be the iPhone 8 will have a 1440p or better OLED display.
    #4. People human nature buys into Social Filters Bikers flaunt their Bikes Tatoo people flaunt new ink. Tech geeks like us Flaunt new Tech. Problem is You Can Not Falunt the iPhone 7 it's too identical to the iPhone 6.
    #5. Unless you are buying an $900 iPhone 7 Plus what are you upgrading over the iPhone 6s ? Nothing really
    #6. As much as Apple is purposefully leaking pics and creating Hype they at the same time are purposefully watering down the iPhone 7.
    #7. Media hype and short supply will make the iPhone 8 10 Anniversary Edition a media event.
    Rumor is there will likely be a Limited Numbered 10 Anniversry Edition in Special deluxe packaging but in order to Purchase one you Must be Selected Via Twitter (Which is why Apple recently Activated it's Twitter Account) And I order to purchase one you Must own an Original iPhone 1 which is why all the Original iPhone are $500+ used and Impossible to buy.

8. Richardgm macrumors 6502a

Richardgm

It's to calm the investors.

"This year'siPhone isn't all that, we know; but just wait for next year's!"