Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MrOlsen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
I know there's a lot of treads about the contract free iPhone 6 being unlocked or not.
My question is this: have any of you guys actually travelled to another country and used a local carriers sim in the phone there?
I have bought both a contract free T-Mobile version and a contract free AT&T version and out of the box they both work perfectly fine with my Danish sim here in the US. But I'm kinda worried as Apple keep telling me that that doesn't mean the phones will work with the same international sim outside the US.
Are they right or is this just BS?

Thanks

Last edited:

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
I know there's a lot of treads about the contract free iPhone 6 being unlocked or not.
My question is this: have any of you guys actually travelled to another country and used a local carriers sim in the phone there?
I have bought both a contract free T-Mobile version and a contract free AT&T version and both work perfectly with my Danish sim here in the US. But I'm kinda worried as Apple keep telling me that that doesn't mean the phones will work with the same international sim outside the US.
Are they they right or is this just BS?

Thanks

They're probably talking about the LTE compatibility as many countries may have different LTE bands than the ones used here in the US. Your 3G data should work fine though.

MrOlsen

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Sep 19, 2014
My carrier in Denmark are using the same LTE bands as AT&T so I should be fine, right?
Apple just like to make it seem like the phone won't even work event though it can roam there in the US with my Danish sim in the phone.

rui no onna

Contributor
Oct 25, 2013
I have bought both a contract free T-Mobile version and a contract free AT&T version and both work perfectly with my Danish sim here in the US. But I'm kinda worried as Apple keep telling me that that doesn't mean the phones will work with the same international sim outside the US.
Are they they right or is this just BS?
I used an unlocked AT&T iPhone 4S with local SIM in the Philippines and that worked just fine (HSPA).

Caveat, I couldn't get my Verizon iPad 4 working on LTE with the local carrier despite the necessary LTE band being supported (2100) and having the same iPad model sold in that country. I'm sure the carrier service center could have gotten it to work. They got my Verizon iPad Air working on LTE but I forgot to bring the iPad 4 and I didn't want to visit the service center again.

CEmajr

macrumors 601
Dec 18, 2012
Charlotte, NC
My carrier in Denmark are using the same LTE bands as AT&T so I should be fine, right?
Apple just like to make it seem like the phone won't even work event though it can roam there in the US with my Danish sim in the phone.

If they're the same LTE bands then you should be fine. I think the Apple reps just tell you not to expect anything as a precaution so as to not have angry customers coming back telling them that Apple said their phone bought in one country would be fully compatible with the network in another.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.