Become a MacRumors Supporter for $25/year with no ads, private forums, and more!

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today introduced new features for its COVID-19 screening app, which is designed to help people stay informed and take the proper steps to prevent the spread of the coronavirus.The 2.0 version of the app adds a feature for selecting a state of residence to see specific guidance information from that state's health department, and it provides tips for keeping physically and mentally healthy.

applecovidappupdate.jpg

Apple has also updated its accompanying COVID-19 website to provide the same information to users.

With the new state feature, users can choose their state to be directed to coronavirus guidelines offered by the state health department, and available information and guidelines will vary by location. In California, for example, Apple directs users to covid19.ca.gov, a website that provides dos and don'ts, symptoms to watch out for, emotional health resources, information about financial help, and more.

The update adds many self-care tips to both the app and website, such as staying hydrated, exercising for 30 minutes a day, getting adequate sleep, taking breaks for fun and relaxing activities, stimulating the brain through books, puzzles, or painting, talking to people, and journaling.

It provides shopping tips like purchasing two weeks of groceries at a time, stocking up on long-lasting foods, buying extra household items, and taking precautions such as wearing gloves and wiping down shopping carts.

Apple's site and app also offer tips on working from home, creating a household emergency plan, and what to do if you get sick.

Apple designed its COVID-19 app and website in partnership with the CDC, White House Coronavirus Task Force, and FEMA. Along with the features introduced today, the tools provided by Apple let users answer a series of questions on risk factors, recent exposure, and symptoms to receive CDC recommendations on the next steps that they need to take.

The screening tool is available to anyone who is 18 years or older in the United States. Data provided in the COVID-19 app and on the website is not shared with Apple, the CDC, or other government agencies.

Article Link: Apple's COVID-19 App Gains Features for Accessing State Guidelines and Self Care Tips

DeepIn2U

macrumors G3
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Apple, you needed a separate app??! You couldn't integrate all of this into the already existing Health app. Wow you really don't get it.

Apple would not do this because ...
they're not an authorized government outlet/outfit to show information of health directly related to COVID-19; this could be a legal issue for them that they'd NOT win.
Also notice how their stating the link to the government source and abilty to change your current state?!

This is also why no direct readings for health via WatchOS can be done. This app is more an advisory - just like anything on Android OS as well.

Here in Canada our provincial governments (at least in Ontario, Alberta, and Quebec) have launched an app directly themselves.

It's a great idea you have to have this integrated into Health app but Apple, most likely by law, cannot and will not do this.

Reactions: dylin

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Apple would not do this because ...
they're not an authorized government outlet/outfit to show information of health directly related to COVID-19; this could be a legal issue for them that they'd NOT win.
Also notice how their stating the link to the government source and abilty to change your current state?!

This is also why no direct readings for health via WatchOS can be done. This app is more an advisory - just like anything on Android OS as well.

Here in Canada our provincial governments (at least in Ontario, Alberta, and Quebec) have launched an app directly themselves.

It's a great idea you have to have this integrated into Health app but Apple, most likely by law, cannot and will not do this.
I also believe Apple should put a few 'tabs' down at the bottom of the Wallet app and move ALL commerce related apps to that app, so that becomes the "folder" for accessing everything from restaurants/food/Amazon/etc. That would clean up 30% of the apps on my phone.

WestonHarvey1

macrumors 68030
Jan 9, 2007
Apple, you needed a separate app??! You couldn't integrate all of this into the already existing Health app. Wow you really don't get it.

How many people would even know the "Health" app exists right now vs. how many people would look to download a COVID-19 app? I didn't remember it existed until you mentioned it.

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
How many people would even know the "Health" app exists right now vs. how many people would look to download a COVID-19 app? I didn't remember it existed until you mentioned it.
I have 258 apps on my phone. Enough info out there I don’t need to make it 259.

CarlJ

Contributor
Feb 23, 2004
San Diego, CA, USA
Please show me where the Health app is on an iPad. Or do the lives of people who have iPads rather than iPhones not matter as much to you?

roland.g

macrumors 604
Apr 11, 2005
Please show me where the Health app is on an iPad. Or do the lives of people who have iPads rather than iPhones not matter as much to you?
There's no Health app on iPads. That doesn't make sense. Does that mean you can't pair an Apple Watch to an iPad?

DeepIn2U

macrumors G3
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
the specific state wouldn't be needed if we *alll* followed the same rules to begin with. No wonder why there is confusion..

Bette safe, than sorry.

I agree people/persons should follow the standard safety practices ... however I cannot blame people even IF they followed this that that alone would've reduced the confusion or eliminated the need for such an app.

There has been and still is a LOT of false information being communicated:Social Media, local news sites, profiteers around the globe, as well as even an IDIOTIC DOCTOR showcasing washing produce with dish-soap, when he knows produce is porous and ingesting chemical cleaning agents (yes dish soap falls into this category) is harmful to people. After his video went viral - he recanted with same lame ass 'I forgot to mention not to do this' BS.

Video:

Editor's Note: Today (March 30) Dr. Jeffrey VanWingen emailed Live Science to say that "the video was made ahead of various experts weighing in. As we move forward I have reviewed the emerging opinions, consulting with many. We are working to edit the video right now to recommend that fruits and vegetables be washed with running water as your article outlines."
[automerge]1586479786[/automerge]
Basically we're in uncharted times here ... but the very basics like common courtesy with your manners (coughing sneezy picking your nose, lol) are being a real check o the world here. You know the stuff your mom/dad would smack you upside the head for ignoring even when not at family get togethers, at school or in public they'd do it any way.

packaging care at grocery stores will heavily need to change.

Supermacguy

macrumors 6502
Jan 3, 2008
Still requires iOS 13.1. Not happy Apple couldn't make it iOS 12 compatible. I know SwiftUI is sweet sweet code candy, but traditional UITableViews aren't that hard.

Vanilla35

macrumors 68040
Apr 11, 2013
Washington D.C.
I also believe Apple should put a few 'tabs' down at the bottom of the Wallet app and move ALL commerce related apps to that app, so that becomes the "folder" for accessing everything from restaurants/food/Amazon/etc. That would clean up 30% of the apps on my phone.

You know how useful that would be? I thought that was the entire point of it when it came out like 10 years ago. Apple does a good job overall, but they are so lazy when it comes to building out features. Drives me nuts.

Tech198

macrumors P6
Mar 21, 2011
Australia, Perth
Still requires iOS 13.1. Not happy Apple couldn't make it iOS 12 compatible. I know SwiftUI is sweet sweet code candy, but traditional UITableViews aren't that hard.

It sux, my parents with an iPhone 5c can't even upgrade to iOS 13,, and yet even the government here in Australia offers something similar in cooperation from the Health department, and the closest i could get was just bookmark the site on home screen.
If your gonna do this as informational, as least make an excpetion to be backward compatible....

I guess being on the app store, Apple may not allow it.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.