Apples current offerings of Storage.

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Haarith :), Jun 23, 2012.

1. Haarith :) macrumors member

When the Retina Macbook Pro was released i was immediately concerned by the price. So i decided that i would go with the low end model as i dont really need extreme processing power to just watch movies and surf the net, but then i saw memory, not even 300GB? :confused: i was forced to get a high end model as i need tons of memory and i dont exactly like to carry around when traveling external hard drives as they can become annoying. But now i am thinking will Apple continue this? have high prices with extremely bad storage and the worst thing is that it cannot be upgraded properly!

What are your views? Do you think Apple will continue having low storage for such an expensive laptop?

2. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Perhaps the RMBP wasn't the right choice for you if you have large storage demands. You can buy a non-Retina MBP and put in a 1TB hard drive yourself for less than $2100. SSD storage is expensive. Period. It costs a bit more direct from Apple (but no choice to use 3rd party w/ RMBP), but even if you bought a non-Retina MBP and put your own 256GB or 500GB SSD in its still going to cost a lot more per GB than it would with a HDD.

But to answer your question more directly, yes, SSDs are the future. It's not just Apple. All computer makers will be migrating over the next few years. They will get less expensive per GB as time goes on (I paid $300 for a 128GB SSD three years ago. They are now a tad over $100).

Also the 256GB SSD in the MBA and RMBP is a Samsung 830, which is one of the best, so I'm not sure why you are calling it "extremely bad." Perhaps you mean small? If so that is just the nature of SSDs. They are smaller and more expensive than HDDs, but a heck of a lot faster too. If you'd rather have more storage, but slower, then return your RMBP and get a regular MBP.

3. sweetbrat macrumors 65816

sweetbrat

You talk about how expensive it is and how small the storage options are, but you didn't say why you needed the retina MBP over the regular one. As Chupa Chupa already said, you could have gotten the regular MBP with much more storage and spent less.

The positive side of SSDs is that they're much faster than traditional HDDs. The downside is that it's still relatively new technology, so it's expensive. SSDs have come down a lot in price lately, but are still expensive when compared to traditional HDDs. At some point most laptops will have SSDs, I'm sure, but that won't happen until prices fall enough for larger capacities to be more easily available to most people.

4. jcpb macrumors 6502a

First world problems

Apple can offer 768GB on the entry model instead of 256GB and people will still complain it's too small.