Apples Dead Pixel Policy

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SimonUK5, Jan 17, 2013.

1. SimonUK5 macrumors 6502

Whats the deal with Macbooks and MacbookPros developing Dead Pixels?

On my replacement MacbookPro that i got a month or so ago, yesterday, i turned it on to find a dead pixel which is pretty much dead centre on the screen, its only a single pixel, but its still annoying regardless. I don't know weather i can get it sorted under my Applecare, or if they won't do anything about a single dead pixel. Regardless it won't be going in until I hit a point when I can be without my computer for a couple of days.

Simon

2. dogster macrumors member

hi

I think if its in the middle they will replace it for sure

3. Dre180 macrumors newbie

I don't know if Apple has softened its stance, but When I purchased my 2007 Macbook Pro it came with a dead pixel which conveniently developed right after the return period. Since I did have apple care I took it back to the store and they told me they don't replace screens due to a single dead pixel, that it would have to be 3 or more in order to do the replacement. Whether or not that is compnay policy or them giving me a hard time I cannot say. I didn't make a big deal out of it and decided to keep it. If it got worse I surely would have complained about it. I imagine if you make a big enough deal they will do the replacement. In retrospect I would have had them replace the screen. Although not a major issue that one dead pixel has annoyed me from the moment I've had the machine. If it bothers you get it replaced

4. duervo macrumors 68000

duervo

If you bring it in, they may try to see if it's just a stuck pixel or if it's really dead.

They may massage it a bit with their finger to see if it goes back to normal. If it does, it was just a stuck pixel, and they'll send you on your way.

If massaging has no affect (or makes it worse, like what happened when they tried to see if I had a stuck pixel or dead one on my iPad2,) then they'll probably replace the display.

5. SimonUK5 thread starter macrumors 6502

I called apple care, and they issued me with a case number, so that i can take it to the Apple store, and get the display fixed, when i have the time.