Apple's Dumbest Move

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by CaptRB, Jun 8, 2017.

1. CaptRB macrumors 6502a

CaptRB

Since I'm often defending Apple, here's what they should have done a few days ago!

1) 16 GB STANDARD RAM on all MBP and iMacs. Is Apple crazy with this base 8 GB nonsense. Now 8 GB is plenty, but from a marketing standpoint it's a real blunder.

2) Still no backlit keyboard??? I bought a backlit keyboard to compliment the one on my MBP for desktop use and it's FANTASTIC. Apple really missed the boat by not doing the same.

3) Apple needs to admit that the ONE legacy port people miss the most is the SD slot. It should have quietly returned on the MBP.

4) No MBP should have 128 GB SSD. 256 GB should be standard across the board. Is this the 2010?

5) Wait...you mean the new Keyboard DOESN'T come in space gray??? Or the mouse...unless I buy a iMac pro??? What?????

R.

2. Stefan johansson macrumors 65816

Stefan johansson

SD slot? I got that on my windows pc,can't remember last time I used it. Would probably not miss it.

3. haydn! macrumors 6502a

Worth noting, with the iMac Pro not actually on sale yet - neither are it's related accessories. There is absolutely nothing at this stage that indicates Apple won't sell these as separates form December onwards. After all, people will want/need replacements eventually.

4. PieTunes macrumors 6502

PieTunes

That's 5 "dumb" moves, not one ;)

You say 8 GB base RAM is nonsense but still it's "plenty?" How is it a marketing thing, they should simply give everyone 16 base RAM because they're nice or to set themselves apart from other manufacturers? For the large majority of users, 8 GB *is* in fact plenty. Hell, my old Air with 4GB was just fine. If someone needs more based on their higher end needs, they can pay for it accordingly. I don't expect Apple to give away anything for free but it sure would be nice LOL

I'm assuming you're talking about the Magic Keyboard with number pad? I agree it would be nice if it had a backlight, maybe at some point in the future. The concern now is probably battery life I would think.

I think if there were one legacy port that people miss the most it would be a standard USB-A port, not the SD slot. The SD slot is more specialized for a certain segment of people whereas USB-A is more universal. The need to purchase dongles and adapters would be far less if there were a single USB-A port versus a SD slot.

As for storage, I'm at a toss up on this. Again it would probably come down to the benefit to the user. In my case I can "get by" with 128 with having to worry about file location management, the 256 makes it a moot point. At the least for the people who don't need 128, being able to save 200 bucks to get the latest and greatest is bound to make a lot of people happy.

Space gray accessories may be out by December to coincide with the launch of the iMac Pro.

5. seadragon Contributor

I think one of their dumbest moves, although not having any impact on the actual machine, was to get rid of that nice lit up logo. It was such a nice touch. Those that disliked it could easily cover it up with a sticker of their choice, even with one of Apple's provided in the box. Rumor is that it's coming back and I hope that's true.

6. PieTunes macrumors 6502

PieTunes

I too miss that lighted logo, it was a nice "fun" cosmetic touch that helped give the MacBook its "identity" so to speak. Hopefully as technology improves, like being able to put a light in the lid while still making it thin, they can find a way to bring it back.

7. haydn! macrumors 6502a

I think the problem there is there wasn't actually a light in the lid. It was the back light from the screen. So as we move to thinner screen tech and even more so away from back-lit to micro and OLED there is little chance of it making a return as to do both would mean making the lid thicker and I just don't think Apple even have thicker in their vocabulary.