Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple's senior VP of software and services Eddy Cue has joined the Board of Trustees at Duke University in North Carolina, institution officials have announced.

eddy-cue-photo.jpeg

Cue earned bachelor's degrees in computer science and economics at Duke University. He is also an avid Duke basketball fan, and both of his sons Adam and Spencer also studied Computer Science at Duke University.

Cue joins six other new trustees joining the board on a six-year term. All are previous students of the institution who have gone on to establish successful business careers. Like the other trustees, Cue will be responsible for the school's educational mission and fiscal policies.

According to the university's press release, Cue has returned to Duke many times to assist students in technology fields, and in 2017 he spoke to the Duke Technology Scholars, which aims to inspire more Duke women undergraduates to choose careers in computer science and electrical and computer engineering.

Cue has been at Apple since 1989 and as a member of the company's executive team he oversees Apple TV+, the iTunes Store, Apple Music, Apple Pay, Maps, and iCloud. Eddy helped create the original Apple online store in 1998, the iTunes Store in 2003 and the App Store in 2008. He also played a key role in developing Apple's iLife suite of productivity apps.

(Via AppleInsider.)

Article Link: Apple's Eddy Cue Joins Duke University Board of Trustees

Reactions: SurferPup

laz232

macrumors 6502a
Feb 4, 2016
At a café near you
Even though this sounds like a really good idea on the face of it, I just suddenly realised how pointless it is:
Eddy Cue, has achieved his position through some competence and obviously a lot of luck; a position which is only going to be available to a small fraction of 1%, so any insights he has are going to be nearly meaningless to the vast majority of graduates. In my opinion it would make much more sense to get a competent mid-level person from a smaller company to this role.
But of course this is more a PR stunt from Duke, so that they get some apple headlines...

Unggoy Murderer

macrumors 6502a
Jan 28, 2011
Edinburgh, UK
I'm almost surprised that he still works at Apple. We haven't seen him on stage for almost 4 years now, despite the launch of important services.
Not every big boss needs to make all of the announcements - he obviously trusts the people he looks after to do it for him.

As an underling to multiple big bosses myself, I appreciate opportunities to unveil or show off the new things my colleagues and I have worked on, it's a nice feeling.

BehemothManiac

macrumors member
Oct 10, 2018
Toronto, Ontario
Even though this sounds like a really good idea on the face of it, I just suddenly realised how pointless it is:
Eddy Cue, has achieved his position through some competence and obviously a lot of luck; a position which is only going to be available to a small fraction of 1%, so any insights he has are going to be nearly meaningless to the vast majority of graduates. In my opinion it would make much more sense to get a competent mid-level person from a smaller company to this role.
But of course this is more a PR stunt from Duke, so that they get some apple headlines...
You have no idea what the board of trustees is, do you?

CarpalMac

macrumors 68000
Nov 19, 2012
UK
Not every big boss needs to make all of the announcements - he obviously trusts the people he looks after to do it for him.

As an underling to multiple big bosses myself, I appreciate opportunities to unveil or show off the new things my colleagues and I have worked on, it's a nice feeling.

You are of course assuming he had some say in the matter....

DeepIn2U

macrumors G4
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Congrats to Eddie!
Ya man player still making moves!
What?
People always aspire to be - or should - the BEST they possibly can be. Why aspire for mid level roles at all?!

you’re failing to recognize the hard work he’s out in to get to this level. Period. I’m sure you don’t want your hard work studies and efforts to looked down upon so easily either

Cue hasn’t always been on stage and like you stated it’s a GOOD thing upper management has others to show off new changes to their services or products. It shows a community of work went into it and others getting credit for their contributions and grooming them for bigger positions down the pipe. We’ve seen this with J Turnis.

technole

macrumors 6502a
Sep 22, 2017
I have a feeling this is one step out the door and he’ll soon become another Apple Fellow like Phil Schiller.

Nah, there are CEOs on university BOTs too. Like at my school. It helps to have real world success muscle on these boards to help guide and manage the university president.

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68030
Jul 10, 2012
T

To be honest I found him a little off putting in a big shotty kind of way in his last appearances.

Reactions: George Dawes

Robert.Walter

macrumors 68030
Jul 10, 2012
How did they manage to get a picture of the only time in Eddy’s life that he didn’t have the top two buttons of his shirt unbuttoned? ?
The buttons are compensation for rich man’s gut. They act as a distraction to draw the viewers eyes upward.

Reactions: The Barron

IllinoisCorn

Suspended
Jan 15, 2021
Nah, there are CEOs on university BOTs too. Like at my school. It helps to have real world success muscle on these boards to help guide and manage the university president.
Not sure if this is true. There are plenty of people in the world that would be more competent than Cue as a University Trustee.

There are not a lot of people who are..."as important" as Eddie Cue (might not have been the best choice of words, but best I could come up with now).

Cook is next up, unless he's done a term already.

Reactions: laz232

Cancelled
Apr 16, 2020
Not sure if this is true. There are plenty of people in the world that would be more competent than Cue as a University Trustee.

There are not a lot of people who are..."as important" as Eddie Cue (might not have been the best choice of words, but best I could come up with now).

Cook is next up, unless he's done a term already.
Cook's term on the Duke Board of Trustees expires this year.

Reactions: IllinoisCorn

Black Tiger

macrumors 6502
Jul 2, 2007
His presentations always came off badly. The guy obviously knows his stuff but stage presence is not one of them. The only one who is good on stage is Craig. And even his act is getting old.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.