Apple's Education Discount

Discussion in 'iPod' started by mynameismatt89, Jul 30, 2007.

1. mynameismatt89 macrumors 6502

I am interested in purchasing a 30GB ipod video through apple.ca

I went to the education discount section and entered my university and student number. I then went to the ipod section and noticed that the price had not changed. I tried logging in and out and it still did not change. I also checked the prices of some other items (macbook pro) and noticed that there was a discount on it.

Why is it not working for the ipod?

Thanks,
    Matt

2. ipacmm macrumors 65816

ipacmm

Apple no longer offers EDU discounts on iPods.

3. mynameismatt89 thread starter macrumors 6502

Is this just until that ipod nano offer (buy a computer and you get a nano) is over or is it forever?

4. Jschultz macrumors 6502a

Jschultz

AFAIK, it's been like this for some time. I was told that too many non-students were taking advantage of the system and spoiled it. But who knows, it could be many things.

5. rockthecasbah macrumors 68020

rockthecasbah

Apple no longer discounts any iPods based on educational status even when the free iPod Nano deal isn't in effect :(

6. aidanpendragon macrumors 6502a

Since a huge market for the iPod is the edu crowd, and it's more a luxury than a computer (can't do papers on it), it makes some sense that Apple would discontinue that discount. I'm not happy about it though... It's been gone for some time (I want to say a year or years).

7. vandlism macrumors 6502

Well the price of the iPod right now is 30 bucks cheaper than when I bought it at the educational discount. Sure sure, discounts on things are nice, but the iPod isn't exactly a necessary tool to finish that upcoming term paper, is it? Though I'd love the discount to be there, it's not really something that plays a role in my studies, whereas my MacBook does.

8. Tumeg101 macrumors 6502a

Tumeg101

And also, if I were you, (if your still planning to buy an iPod)
    I would wait for August 7th, that is when they are either going to release the new iPods, or release info\pics about them

9. bloodycape macrumors 65816

Can you still get a Educational discount on the ipod's apple care like you can with their computers?

10. arpeggi. macrumors newbie

What if... I bought a MBP this week - could I then wait until the 7th to use my rebate on the new iPod (if it even comes out on the 7th!)?
    Hrm... wonder if that is even possible?

11. mynameismatt89 thread starter macrumors 6502

Yes, i've been thinking about just waiting for August 7th. I don't believe i will purchase the new ipod if it even does come out because (if rumored correctly) i don't need it to be bluetooth capable, have wifi access, etc. Im just looking for an ipod to hold large amounts of music (30gb will suffice) and watch a couple of videos.

12. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

The iPod needs to be purchased at the same time as the computer to qualify for the rebate.

13. feelthefire macrumors 6502a

That and:
    1) apple has never released a new iPod with more than a week left in the promotion and
    2) the rebate only applies to the old models when the new ones are released. Whatever models are on the rebate form are what you can get, for the remainder of the promotion. You don't get $200 off the new one.

14. LinuXtreme macrumors regular

LinuXtreme

I never thought of that. And here I've been kind of waiting until after Aug. 7 to order my BlackBook just in case they released new iPod models. :eek:

15. arpeggi. macrumors newbie

Oh this is good to know! I was going to wait too... I'll just order it get the discount, free iPod (give that to my dad), and free printer and then wait and buy the new iPod when it comes out...