Apple's Event Intro Video Hints at 'Hey Siri' Support for AirPods

Discussion in 'iOS Blog Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 12, 2018.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Ahead of Apple's "Gather Round" event, rumors suggested the company would introduce updated AirPods with an improved wireless chip and support for hands-free "Hey Siri" functionality.

There was no mention of updated AirPods on stage when the new Apple Watch and iPhone models were unveiled, but Apple's event intro featured a video where "Hey Siri" support for AirPods is clearly demonstrated as a feature.

The "Hey Siri" moment happens at about 40 seconds into the video​
    In the Mission Impossible parody video that kicked off the event, an Apple employee racing across the Apple Park campus to deliver an item to Tim Cook uses "Hey Siri" with the AirPods to ask for the fastest route to the Steve Jobs Theater.

The "Hey Siri" hint suggests that this functionality is indeed coming to the AirPods at some point in the future, so it's possible that Apple is still planning to unveil updated AirPods later in the year.

At the current time, summoning Siri requires a double-tap on the side of one of the AirPods, which is much less convenient than the hands-free option.

If new AirPods are still on the horizon, that may also mean that Apple still intends to unveil the AirPower at some point in 2018. There was no mention of the AirPower at today's event and the device has essentially been scrubbed from Apple's website, so it's not entirely clear if and when it's going to launch.

Along with the AirPower, Apple is meant to be introducing a new wireless Charging Case for the AirPods, which is simply listed as "Unavailable" on Apple's website.

Apple could be planning to unveil AirPods with "Hey Siri" support, a wireless AirPods Charging Case, and the AirPower all at the same time later in 2018, but the company's plans are still very much unknown at this point.

Article Link: Apple's Event Intro Video Hints at 'Hey Siri' Support for AirPods

2. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Hmm, good catch. Otherwise the AirPods look the same.

3. rudedude macrumors newbie

rudedude

From the way she was running through the water I also thought that AirPods that are water resistant we’re going to be announced...

4. liberte1776 macrumors regular

Really lame they still haven't released the new AirPods!

5. cwanja macrumors 6502

Or she used an Apple Watch? She did not technically raise her wrist, but could it have already been ‘active’ given that she was carrying the case.

Who knows. Probably the AirPods.

6. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

Does it hint at when I am getting my new iPad??? o_O

7. 2010mini macrumors 68040

When are the releasing the transporter beam technology?

8. hendot macrumors newbie

The video also hints at a teleport feature on future Apple Watch models.

9. GadgetBen macrumors 6502a

GadgetBen

Tim said at the start that this presentation would focus on the most ‘personal’ devices.

You can’t get more personal than plugging an Apple device in your ear!

So where are the new AirPods?

10. lakerchick4life macrumors 6502a

Yeah just like icons on beta versions of IOS 12 suggested a new ipad pro being released..IOS 12 is coming out on Monday, still no ipad pro :(

11. Pezboy macrumors member

Pezboy

About time someone else noticed this sheesh

12. normalgeek macrumors newbie

normalgeek

Although not advertised, the current AirPods are basically water resistant (in my experience). I've worn them in the shower a dozen or so times, and even accidentally submerged them in soapy water for 30 minutes (about 1' deep) when soaking a dress shirt. I was sure they'd be dead, but after a quick rinse they were good as new. I got this pair when they were released (December 2016) so needless to say I've been pretty impressed with their durability.

13. MICHAELSD macrumors 68040

MICHAELSD

Probably. Or just an oversight in the video. But they don’t usually reveal new products in the pre-keynote videos so I don’t know that they’d hint at new AirPods. If they don’t announce them at the October event I wouldn’t expect new AirPods until next September.

14. Sasparilla macrumors 6502a

Expect new iPad's and Mac's in October (probably another event, just guessing).

15. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Umm what it also tells me is that Apple Watch should be OFFICE KEYS NOW! Come on Apple!
    --- Post Merged, Sep 12, 2018 ---
    WatchOS 6 of course, I am sure it will only work with the Series 4 and above though. I think you also need the LTE version, as it contains a cellular chip, allowing you to beam to any location with service, whether or not you have your iPhone with you.

16. Scottsoapbox macrumors 6502a

Scottsoapbox

And even Apple employees in Apple promos disregard Siri and (Apple map based) directions. SMH.

17. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

It's 2018, with transit directions, I should be able to ask when the next 156 bus is coming with Siri.

18. lakerchick4life macrumors 6502a

I'll believe it when I see it :)

19. TheRealTVGuy macrumors 6502a

TheRealTVGuy

This is exactly what I’m waiting on...

20. UK-MacAddict macrumors regular

Did anyone also see the guy running in the rain with AirPods on in the Apple Watch advert as well. Water resistant model coming?

21. joueboy macrumors 65816

And Tim don’t even need the clicker because he just go to the stage for couple seconds then call somebody to demo the product.

22. dontwalkhand macrumors 601

dontwalkhand

Or he could use an app instead. I thought this XS can do everything.

23. christianboyce macrumors newbie

christianboyce

I use AirPods and I’m able to say “hey Siri“ to activate Siri hands-free now. I must be missing something because people seem to be waiting for a feature that’s already here.

24. BWhaler macrumors 68030

BWhaler

Great video.

What a beautiful,office that is. Clever way to show it too.

25. DeepIn2U macrumors 603

DeepIn2U

Lol AirPower = AirJoke or AirNonDelivery! Announced almost exactly a year ago and the competition has 2 products on amazon that deliver dual or triple charging (specific placement required of course).

It’s sad Apple cannot deliver this still.

What I personally noticed is the Apple Watch used to unlock a Door!!

I have some serious coding ideas around that but Apple doesn’t support 11-20hz wireless contact standard door reader frequencies.