Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Matariel

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2009
Is this a mock trial? Why would they be looking at a picture of it? Just compare the physical devices

The hearing has not happened yet.
The images were filed to a Judge in order to obtain the preliminary injunction, which halts the sale of the Samsung tablet until the final ruling of the case.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Oh dear Apple, liar liar pants on fire! And Karmas a bitch!

And good luck with trying to explain to the court just how the evidence you presented was NOT based on the final Galaxy Tab product, and also lets not forget the European courts take a VERY, VERY dim view on monopolies and companies that abuse their positions for competition.....

mentalward

macrumors member
Apr 22, 2009
Kalispell, MT
The ramifications of this error will be more severe for Apple because the complaint was filed Ex Parte. The evidence that Apple filed was the sole factor in the ruling, and Samsung did not have the opportunity to present their own evidence. I'm sure the judge will take a very dim view of this revelation.

dernhelm

macrumors 68000
May 20, 2002
middle earth
Is this a mock trial? Why would they be looking at a picture of it? Just compare the physical devices

I agree. This seems really odd.

But then again, the whole idea is pretty strange anyway - you made a device that _looks_ like something I made? If they stole function and feature, that'd be one thing, but looks? There is plenty of precedent for device knockoffs that happen to look a lot like the original device.

TimeArrow

macrumors member
Mar 2, 2011
I'm more shocked that MacRumors would post a news that would potentially hurt Apple. :eek:

I applaud you MacRumor editors for your professional journalism.

Well deserved. You guys are above others in the world of Mac news reporting.

Agreed. Sometimes I even believe MR is apple-paid because it looks like apple's spokesman, for the advantages of their products, which exist, or still not released.

yourstation

macrumors member
Jul 17, 2008
Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_3_3 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8J2 Safari/6533.18.5)

That's the 'flaw'. It's a straight rip off. Apple really should win this.

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
Does this mean I should be fine even if I copy iPad2 and then just make it 1:1.5 aspect ratio? :rolleyes:

have you even used the GTab? i highly doubt you'd call it a copy if you had spent actual time with it. but i'll play.. what do you believe samsung copied from the ipad?

Rafterman

Contributor
Apr 23, 2010
I quickly skimmed this, but I have to say if they're throwing out the case because of this, I'd have to say that is preposterous!

So if I go out and make an iPhone4 clone and just change the shape a bit and make it fat & short or square, then I'm ok legally??!

P.S. I'm going to make a Mac mini clone and shape it like a cube! (Well maybe the patent on the G4 Cube is still active though...)

There are only so many ways you can shape a flat, rectangular piece of plastic. No one should own the concept of a tablet or phone shape.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
I'm more shocked that MacRumors would post a news that would potentially hurt Apple. :eek:

I applaud you MacRumor editors for your professional journalism.

Well deserved. You guys are above others in the world of Mac news reporting.

Or it's just regular reporting. There isn't a whole lot of negative Apple news to choose from in the first place.

In other news, Microsoft wins lawsuit against Apple for creating windows copy-cat and computers.

In terms of Apple vs. MS, Apple was first, actually.

res1233

macrumors 65816
Dec 8, 2008
Brooklyn, NY
Funny how the dimensions in the advert match the one that Apple presented. :p

If anyone is more likely to have doctored a photo, I vote for the asian knockoff company... Just saying... I really REALLY doubt Apple would try to get something like this by a judge. It just doesn't sound like them. It does, however, sound like Samsung.

erzhik

macrumors 6502
Dec 2, 2010
If the 'doctored' image is actually a prototype of the device which Samsung used to help create the final product (obviously), then nothing changes. Highly doubt Apple would 'shop a photo, and even though Samsung could not respond you can sure as hell bet they'd speak up if the evidence was fake.

Are all Apple fans that blind? Do you always believe everything Apple tells you? They are a company just like any other, they will do anything to win, and yes, lie too.

If this turns out to be true, Apple is screwed. Manipulating legal documents is not just illegal, it will turn the whole thing around 180 degrees.

wovel

macrumors 68000
Mar 15, 2010
America(s)!
Ok, I gotta admit I was wrong here, the nice people at Macrumors did post this as news, on the front page no less. :eek:

This will be especially harmful to Apple because the injunction was granted based on Apple's complaint alone, Samsung having had no chance to reply or file opposition and the judge not doing a hearing.

Unfortunately, just like all the other sites and you, the never bothered to look at the filing for themselves. The filing that shows these two as a series of 6 pictures . The other 4 clearly show the aspect ratios. There are about 5 more too.

Anyone who thinks these are the only pictures, or that it somehow implies anything about the future of this case needs to try and think for themselves occasionally.

Arn,

Would it have been hard for you to include some of the othe other pictures from the filing? The complaint is on scribd (http://www.scribd.com/doc/61993811/10-08-04-Apple-Motion-for-EU-Wide-Prel-Inj-Galaxy-Tab-10-1). The euphoria many seem to be experiencing over Apple being caught in a lie is clearly premature.

Apple doctored evidence doesn't sound as trivial.

If they have knowingly altered the photos to look more like the iPad then they could be in big trouble.

Since they include several photos that show the proper aspect ratio, I don't think misaligning the photos demonstrating the icon layout will cause them much trouble. I also doubt it had very much impact on the judges decision. I suppose it is possible he only glanced at the pictures on page 28, then ignored all the other pictures and the text. I doubt it though.

BC2009

macrumors 68020
Jul 1, 2009
Does this mean I should be fine even if I copy iPad2 and then just make it 1:1.5 aspect ratio? :rolleyes:

Apple had a solid case, but this hurts their case because it looks like they were trying to dupe the courts and judges don't like this. Whether or not Samsung violated Apple's design, Apple has good enough attorneys to ensure that the photos they are using are accurate (or they should). No matter how strong the case was before, this blunder (whether inadvertent or intentional) is horrible for Apple's case now.

Matariel

macrumors member
Jan 21, 2009
Or it's just regular reporting. There isn't a whole lot of negative Apple news to choose from in the first place.

In terms of Apple vs. MS, Apple was first, actually.

Are you kidding?
Apple brings in more negative press than most tech companies lately, particularly related to iOS and iOS development, it's just people like you dominate the tech press, and give Apple a pass on pretty much anything.

They filed a doctored image as evidence to a European Judge, in order to stop the immediate sale of a competitor's product.
The Judge will tear them a new one, if not throw the case straight out.

apolloa

Suspended
Oct 21, 2008
Time, because it rules EVERYTHING!
Are all Apple fans that blind? Do you always believe everything Apple tells you? They are a company just like any other, they will do anything to win, and yes, lie too.

If this turns out to be true, Apple is screwed. Manipulating legal documents is not just illegal, it will turn the whole thing around 180 degrees.

Exactly, but as per my previous post, all you need to do is just look at what the European Courts did to Microsoft to realise the implications of this for Apple if this is true! :eek: They will rip the company to shreds!

srgz

macrumors regular
Aug 22, 2010
This is pretty f'ed up...they purposely photoshop'd it to look more like the ipad than it actually does...wow.
I gotta say I don't see why Apple is so bent on killing the new galaxy tab -- they didn't seem to mind when the original came out...just cause this one has a larger screen? What about all the other android tablets out there with 10"+ screens? Pissing off samsung = not a good idea...especially when other divisions of samsung supply displays \ components \ NAND \ SSDs to apples products.

archi penko

macrumors regular
Nov 6, 2007
PHYSICAL comparison

this is the write-up of court proceedings, but i would think something of this magnitude, they would have to present PHYSICAL evidence in court. Meaning, the judge would have held the two, side-by-side.

If not, well... I'm not in litigation but that seems like a huge error to me.

*LTD*

macrumors G4
Feb 5, 2009
Canada
If this turns out to be true, Apple is screwed.

And if it isn't?

This seems very fishy, and not on Apple's part. Seems like an Asian-knockoff-artist thing to do.

Let's let the courts decide.

It also seems like the original Dutch source misunderstood something or failed to look at all the photos.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.