Apple's FaceTime number

Discussion in 'iPod touch' started by applealex, Sep 12, 2010.

1. applealex macrumors regular

Is Apple going to launch an iPod touch version of their 1-888-FACETIME thing?

I don't really get how it would work since it'd be only one email and one representative for all iPod touch users but I wonder if they'd do it

2. Warbitrary macrumors regular

Content removed. I misunderstood your question.

3. tablo13 macrumors 65816

tablo13

4. ouimetnick macrumors 68020

ouimetnick

That is interesting. I'm not sure why you couldn't just dial a phone number on the touch, and it would do FaceTime only. That would work. But they chose to use Email addresses instead.

5. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Can the iPod Touch not place a FaceTime "call" to a phone number? If it can't, doesn't that mean that iPhone users would have to register an e-mail address with Apple to receive FaceTime calls from iPod Touch users? That seems rather silly, if true.

I get that the Touch does not have a phone number and so iPhones would have to use an e-mail address to initiate a call to a Touch. But I don't get what technical barrier is in place that would prevent a FaceTime call from being initiated from a Touch to an iPhone via phone number (the phone number, just like an e-mail address, is simply an alias mapped to a specific FaceTime device; it's an arbitrary string of characters).

-- Nathan

6. ryan0402 macrumors 6502

I bet it was turned into chat roulette and the employees got sick and tired of it

7. skiltrip macrumors 68030

A touch can FaceTime call an iPhone via it's phone number. I do it all the tome with a friend of mine.

8. NathanA macrumors 6502a

Thanks. Good to have that confirmed.

-- Nathan