Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
Where are Apples factories loctaed, did a google but did not find much, just "the far east" etc.

Where are the Mac's and iPods made etc. ??

Thanks ;)

Sun Baked

macrumors G5
May 19, 2002
They subcontracted/outsourced the work out to others ... most of the factories they owned have been sold, leased, or retasked.

One of their biggest and oldest parts suppliers and factories is Foxconn/Hon Hai.

Usually leaks about who is getting a new machine contract point to new machines.

If Apple needs more machines/iPods made they have "hired" other factories to take up the slack.

Edit Quanta, Asustek, Hon Hai, LG and others -- don't remember where the iPods and other stuff is done.

From the 12-2004 10-k
Company believes there are several component suppliers and manufacturing vendors whose loss to the Company could have a material adverse effect upon the Company's business and financial position.

At this time, such vendors include Agere Systems, Inc., Ambit Microsystems Corporation, ASUSTeK Corporation, ATI Technologies, nc., Broadcom Corporation, Freescale Semiconductor, Inc. (formerly the Semiconductor Products Segment of Motorola Inc.), Hitachi Global Storage Technologies, Hon Hai Precision Industry Co., Ltd., IBM Corporation, International Display Technology, Inventec Appliances Corporation, LG. Phillips Co., Ltd., Matsushita, Mitsubishi Electric Corporation, NVIDIA Corp., Portal Player, Inc., Quanta Computer, Inc., Samsung Electronics, Synaptics, Inc., and Toshiba Corporation.

Platform

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
Thanks a lot for the info, just needed to know who and where they were made ;)

If someone has any other info, I will gladly take it :D

Kernow

macrumors 65816
Sep 30, 2005
Kingston-Upon-Thames
My iPod was assembled in Taiwan, and my Mighty Mouse was assembled in Malaysia (according the back plates at least). Still not that specific, but a bit closer in than 'the far east'!

Jaffa Cake

macrumors Core
Aug 1, 2004
The City of Culture, Englandshire
I've just found this article that might interest you... basically information that tells you how to decode your Macs serial number to find out where and when it was made. There's an (albeit incomplete) list of where Apple's factories are located.

Link

fayans

macrumors 6502a
Sep 19, 2005
MacRumors: Forums
Jaffa Cake said:
I've just found this article that might interest you... basically information that tells you how to decode your Macs serial number to find out where and when it was made. There's an (albeit incomplete) list of where Apple's factories are located.

Link
This is cool! Especially the online Mac Serial Decoder. :)

Platform

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
Jaffa Cake said:

Link

Thanks a lot ;)

Platform

macrumors 68030
Original poster
Dec 30, 2004
Kernow said:
My iPod was assembled in Taiwan, and my Mighty Mouse was assembled in Malaysia (according the back plates at least). Still not that specific, but a bit closer in than 'the far east'!

It is better yes....thanks :p

rdowns

macrumors Penryn
Jul 11, 2003
As with most Apple information, Jobs keeps it top secret. Don't ask how I found out about this.

Attachments

• images.jpg
    images.jpg
    2.7 KB · Views: 1,866

Melkor

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2005
Jaffa Cake said:
They did have a plant in Cork, Ireland – all our office Power Macs were made there. I couldn't tell you off the top of my head if it's still open or not, though.

Ya it's still open. I live around 10-15 minutes away from it :p . The funny thing is I cant just buy stuff and collect it directly from there. They ship it out and ship it back lol.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.