Apple's "Fast, free shipping"

Discussion in 'iPad' started by ARK, Mar 9, 2011.

1. ARK macrumors 6502

So just how fast will the "Fast, free shipping" be? Anyone have any experience on how Apple ships new product?

2. Roessnakhan macrumors 68040

Roessnakhan

3-5 days, probably. Unless it were a pre-order, which are often delivered on launch day.

3. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

I asked that of Apple, they said the have many in the state so i am hoping by first of the week.

4. Mad Mac Maniac macrumors 601

Mad Mac Maniac

A little bit of here and a little bit of there.
    yeah my guess would be Monday at the absolute earliest with Friday being the latest (assuming sufficient stock) with Wednesday being the most likely candidate.

5. AppleGoddess macrumors 6502a

AppleGoddess

Tuesday if you upgrade shipping, I think.

6. SteveKnobs macrumors 6502

I'm thinking Monday or Tuesday will be the day if orders are processed on Friday. Later orders might not be fulfilled until Saturday.

I'm still reserving some hope that we get a nice surprise with a Saturday delivery. I got my iPhone 4 delivered the day before the release date, so Apple kind of spoiled me there. I would love nothing more than to put in 20 hours of use on the ipad this weekend :D.

7. Dorkington macrumors 6502a

Every time I've ordered from Apple, it's taken about 2-3 business days for shipping.

8. Phisherman81 macrumors 6502

Phisherman81

I ordered a refurb iPad last Wednesday. It shipped from Shenzhen, China and I got it on Monday.

9. Chupa Chupa macrumors G5

Chupa Chupa

Apple's free shipping is pretty good. They don't use bogus services like UPS Mail Innovations and the FedEx counterpart that dump off at the P.O. for last mile delivery. It's always FedEx or UPS. They also have lots of warehouses across the county so usually if it's in stock not more than 1-3 days. If it ships from China, usually 2-4 days depending on when it gets on the plane.

IF Apple has them in the U.S. then Sat delivery is possible as that is a regular delivery day for FedEx Ground. If you live in the same ground delivery zone as an Apple warehouse then that is next day delivery.

10. dgoldak macrumors newbie

I talked to an Apple sales person via chat asking about the "free, fast shipping" but they gave the impression it's only standard shipping. I would likely order from Apple if I knew it would ship next day, otherwise I might try to find it locally.

11. tomandshell macrumors regular

If it won't arrive until next week, it's not fast enough shipping for me, so I'll be waiting in a line.

12. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68020

PBG4 Dude

It's ground delivery so like other people have said, it all depends on your distance from an Apple warehouse. If you have engraving done then it has to get here from China.

13. pika2000 macrumors 68040

Apple's shipping time has been very fast for me in the past, and quite often they are shipping stuff direct from China (even for some refurbished stuff) and still arrived in just a few days. I wouldn't bother paying more for upgraded shipping unless you want some kind of guarantee of arrival time.

14. AMDGAMER macrumors 6502

Is the overnight option gonna deliver Saturday?

15. abooch1 macrumors regular

you would think that one or two would have fallen of the truck by now right? They have to be on their way to apple stores by now...?

16. iAAPL macrumors regular

iAAPL

I don't know about Apple, everything I've ordered from them has been a preorder, and I've gotten it the day it was released, or the day before it was released. I can tell you that I have Amazon Prime, and I buy WAY too much stuff from them. If I pay $4 for next day delivery on Friday afternoon, it will arrive Saturday. If I pay $4 for next day delivery on Friday night, it will arrive on Tuesday. I thought UPS/FedEx just didn't operate on Sunday, but apparently there's some weird craziness on Mondays as well.

I can almost guarantee that you WILL NOT get your iPad on Saturday, even if you pay $20 or something for overnight, unless they open up the online store for iPad 2 sales early in the morning, which is unlikely. It's going to take quite a while to actually process all of those orders. That's why preorders worked so well. They had 2+ weeks to process your order, and to get the correct amount of devices out to each of their warehouses. Sure, they probably used last year's presales to predict how many iPads each state will need this time, but the iPad 2 might be headed for a very different market. You expect them to process your order (along with the tens of thousands of other orders being placed simultaneously), turn around and have it on a UPS/FedEx truck within an hour (6PM), in order for it to go out for delivery a few hours later? I don't think so.

If I had to guess, if you buy right away on Friday, and there are no shortages:
    Overnight - Monday
    Free- Wednesday/Thursday

17. AMDGAMER macrumors 6502

Online ordering isn't 5pm...its 12:01PST..which is 3:01 AM Friday Eastern...very possible to get a shipment out, but will they?

If amazon stocks them I'll pay the 4 dollars Prime overnight and get it that way. Hate to spend 500 bucks and wait 3-4 days