Apples first AJAX site for iPhone is up

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by FreeState, Jun 27, 2007.

1. FreeState macrumors 68000

FreeState

2. NightStorm macrumors 68000

Interesting... the first extension of .mac onto the iPhone... wonder if it will require a .mac account to use? Hope so, it would start to add some value to the overpriced .mac account that I already have.

3. cdewitt macrumors member

4. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

5. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

maybe some sort of file locker that you can access anywhere?

Heck.

I would settle for:

a) drag your files from your mac to your .mac "reader" folder.
    b) you go to reader.mac.com
    c) you can read and load them on your iphone.

6. janey macrumors 603

janey

damn, I actually used iPhoney to do the same thing the moment I saw this thread too :(

7. sigamy macrumors 65816

An RSS reader? Or would the iPhone's Safari just do that?

8. clevin macrumors G3

clevin

actually it can be accessed with any browser, as long as they fake their UA to be "Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU like Mac OS X; en) AppleWebKit/420+ (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.0 Mobile/1A538a Safari/419"

9. Photography macrumors 65816

Photography

It was stated in the Times Q&A for the iPhone that the Safari browser lacks an RSS Reader.

coolosxapps

10. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Don't even need that much. Looks like just "iPhone" is enough to trigger a change.

Same goes for the main apple.com website when you click on Show Demo for the iPhone. Usually you get the choice of three video sizes. With iPhone User Agent you only get one video size and format.

Haven't had a chance to do more digging.

11. jwa276 macrumors regular

jwa276

This is so exciting. I love how there is a new post every 30 minutes or so usually about the iPhone. I can only imagine how it will be when I have my iPhone and every day there is a new web app to try out!

12. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

Why mac.com?

I thought Apple was differentiating Macs from other devices (as noticeable in their website redesign).

Why would they be publishing iPhone apps at a mac.com URL?

13. plumbingandtech macrumors 68000

To sell more .mac accounts.

14. Peace macrumors P6

Peace

Most syncing with the iPhone will be done with .Mac
    Just like on a Mac in system preferences>.Mac

Address Book,Bookmarks,Email etc..

Seems logical.

15. aria505 macrumors member

I guess this negates my post in the last article saying that I was going to make a RSS Feed reader that looked just like Safari's.

Right after I posted that, I came back to the home page and then this was posted. LOL

16. EricNau Moderator emeritus

EricNau

Wasn't it already revealed that most (if not all) syncing is done through iTunes?

17. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

So much for Jobs talking about the "real Internet".

Now, instead of the mobile Web usable by all handhelds, we're going to again end up with more and more websites splintered amongst the various browsers.

As a developer, I'm getting too old for this. Always one step forward, two steps sideways !

Between the constant cycle of whether client or server will be thick, which language is du jour, and what web to cater to, man...

;)

18. ghall macrumors 68040

ghall

Perhaps its for accessing your iDisk. Or possibly something similar to this idea I had.

19. Me1000 macrumors 68000

Me1000

make it anyway, kick apple's ass! maybe they would buy it from you, I know long shot. BUT THAT WOULD BE SO SWEET!

Your app launcher is great, id love to see you do just as good with a feed reader, or maybe integrate them, so the number of unread feed items in the app launcher. IDK just throwing out ideas!

20. neven macrumors 6502a

Well, look at it this way: instead of using one technology to develop apps that could only be used by iPhone, you're going to use another technology to do the same. It's not like properly SDK-ed iPhone apps would run elsewhere - as far as THAT issue is concerned, iPhone web apps are BETTER - they'll run in other browsers on other devices (in some fashion, depending on the app).

Now, they're also slower, smaller, and less integrated - those are all valid complaints. But creating iPhone-specific web apps is no different than creating iPhone-specific Cocoa apps when it comes to splintering, so that's a non-issue.

21. Dark Horse macrumors member

Dark Horse

but..but...apple's approach to RSS sucks

I just don't understand Apple's approach to RSS. Why don't they have the approach that firefox has to RSS with live bookmarks? Surely the point in RSS is that you don't have to go to the page to find out what is new - you can just hover your mouse over a feed:

[​IMG]

22. Yankees 4 Life macrumors 6502a

i agree. much much better explaination

23. Toe macrumors 65816

Toe

Try this feeds link

Speaking of feeds... try this link: Mac Rumor News Feeds

Note: Strangely, clicking on this link works in Safari 2, but not in Safari 3. You can, however, just copy it and past into the Address Bar.

24. samh004 macrumors 68020

samh004

.Mac integration would be good, even better would be if I could actually use the iPhone where I am... I'm hoping everything will slide into place soon enough.

25. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

Hi Neven. Yep, that's a good way of putting it.

I wouldn't think a thing about it, except for all those snarky comments Jobs made about the baby and mobile internet. There's a reason they cater to small screens and lack of flash/java/etc... and he's now in a similar position.

Besides, I'm one year older than he is, so I get to beat on him a bit :cool: