Apple's 'future' device

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by i0Nic, May 23, 2008.

1. i0Nic macrumors 65816

Rumours of the mac tablet have been around for a while. I think it's only a matter of time before Apple release this device, but the purposes of this type of device have been questioned and some people don't see the point of it. I would like to describe my vision of the future of this type of device.

It would have a 6 inch screen, and be iPod touch thin. Tapered edges like the macbook air, and very thin with long battery life. It would use the iPhone's mobile OSX. So what's it for?

This device falls into a category no other device is in. The closest current device I can think of would be the Kindle. Think of a device that replaces your magazines and books, but can also access the internet and all of the services that go along with it - an 'always on' connected device using EVDO or some other technology.

Subscriptions could be pulled straight from the net to your device, probably through iTunes. Think of websites, how more and more are being designed to handle the iPhone screen creating a unique touch experience. With this type of device dropping in price and other manufacturers jumping on the bandwagon, I see the future of the web, web 3.0 if you'd like to call it, being touch and social networking based - with websites primarily being accessed through these type of 'tablet' (bad word - connotations of microsoft flipping laptops) devices.

This device would live in your living room, when you're watching TV you can pick it up off your coffee table and browse the net, in a form that it is condusive to touch. Executives can pack this device, along with their ultra-thin low powered laptop into their briefcase and use it to read up on some documents or check a website. In fact it could replace their laptop if they have no need to substantially create or edit documents on the go, as all their important info would be on it along with tools for basic editing. Students can use it to write notes, watch movies, doctors can use it, there is unlimited potential through the use of various apps that can be created.

The screen on this device would be akin to the OLPC XO laptop, but a better version. Basically a multi touch LCD, however when the backlight is turned off, the screen basically becomes similiar in look to e-ink. If anyone who has seen this on an XO you'll know what I'm talking about.

This is not a computer in the traditional sense. Computing is becoming decentralized, with Apple selling more and more laptops and being able to introduce niche devices successfully like the Macbook Air, they will continue to push the boundaries of touch decentralized computing. This device would not live on your desk docked in like an ipod, nor will there be some docking device with a screen to turn it into a desktop replacement.

This thing is the future of magazines, of books, of websites, of email, of personal computing, of the internet and the way we interact with technology. It will also have the applications that will make the iPhone a game-changing device, and just like the iPhone it will be able to pull this information from the Cloud anywhere anytime. The iPhone was the first device of this scale to introduce us to multi-touch, this new 'iPad' device will introduce the true capabilities of multi-touch along with the integration of all the various technologies and services that we can't even see a need for right now but we will take for granted in the future.

Just some thoughts.

2. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Hmm... as for me, I don't think I'd buy that device, even if it did everything you mentioned.

However if it made me breakfast too...;)

3. Nipz macrumors 65816

Nipz

I would love this device!

If apple bring one out in June I think it could take place of mr getting a new iPhone. Well I would prob get both :D

4. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

I better stock up on another case of iKlear! LOL :p

5. Insulin Junkie macrumors 65816

Insulin Junkie

Haha I'm the same way. I love the ipod touch and I love the iphone. I was all *aaargh can't decide which one to get* but I solved the problem by buying them both ;)

6. i0Nic thread starter macrumors 65816

New rumour on the front page correlates with my vision for this device, hope it's out soon!

However..

"Specifically, he believes that Apple will announce a 12" or 13" tablet "in the fall" of this year. The Mac Tablet will reportedly run full Mac OS X, have a slot loading Superdrive, an 'iPhone-type' GPS chip and an Intel Core Duo processor. "

I think this is all wrong.

7. g8bo macrumors member

g8bo

hm... maybe i should really consider to establish a new company specialized for touch screen cleaning solutions :rolleyes: :D

8. nick9191 macrumors 68040

If the MBA doesn't have a superdrive why would this thing. Plus it would add half an inch to the thickness.

I hope Apple never release a full size tablet PC, thats what the modbook is for. What Apple should do is sell it to them at a discount.

As for this 6" iPod Touch like device, its also a stupid idea. Its a very niche market, and apart from the bigger screen, an iPod Touch/iPhone does it all.