Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

alexh516

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
there was something mentioned in the Q3 financial results about a future product transition...does that refer to new macbooks/mbp's or soemthing else?

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
He said it would negatively effect margins in the short term. I don't see how a computer refresh could do that...

I'm thinking it probably has to do w/ the iPod line.

alexh516

macrumors member
Original poster
Jun 27, 2007
if there were to be a media event in august...when would it be announced?

spaceballl

macrumors 68030
Nov 2, 2003
San Francisco, CA
I think that a new case/design could increase the costs in the short-term. Why do you think it wouldn't?

thistle.
Because this didn't happen when they transitioned iMac case designs, it didn't happen when they came out with the macbook air case design, it didn't happen when they moved from the TiBook to the PB/MBP case design, and it didn't happen when they moved from iBook clamshell to white iBook, and it didn't happen when they moved from white iBook to Macbook.... so... a hunch i guess?

MusicallySilent

macrumors member
May 23, 2007
Looking at last year, it may imply new models

https://www.macrumors.com/2007/07/26/apples-upcoming-product-transition/

Forbes said:
Apple's projected relatively weaker earnings for the current quarter, citing higher component costs, back-to-school discounts and a "product transition" will cause Apple earnings to come in lower than expected.

Last year they projected slightly weaker earnings and they did a product transition with the new imacs.

lordthistle

macrumors 6502
Feb 29, 2008
Italy
Because this didn't happen when they transitioned iMac case designs, [...] so... a hunch i guess?
Why do you say it did not happen? It would be strange from my pov.

I think the fact that they earned money ALSO introducing new units is different from margin reduction. Every new model, in computer as well as in cars, has the side-effect of reducing margins in the first times. Factories need to change lines, there are design cost, old units must be sold at lower prices...

thistle

noodle654

macrumors 68020
Jun 2, 2005
Never Ender
there was something mentioned in the Q3 financial results about a future product transition...does that refer to new macbooks/mbp's or soemthing else?

No....Apple is going back to the PowerPC and they are releasing the PowerBook G5 and PowerMac G6!!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.