Apple's Game Center to reveal real names

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by belvdr, Dec 1, 2010.

1. belvdr macrumors 603

2. firestarter macrumors 603

firestarter

Apple has done the same thing with iTunes and Ping.

I've written reviews using a user name for the last couple of years... I signed up to Ping and then got a warning when I tried to do a review that the reviews would be associated with my Ping account (real name).

I just killed the Ping account off... I want to control where I use my name, not have it decided for me.

3. Apple Hero macrumors member

Apple Hero

At least give us the option to have a user name Apple. Don't just show are real names and call it a day. We want some form of privacy!

4. R94N macrumors 68020

R94N

I'm not so bothered about sharing my real name. It's just my actual address and contact details I'm bothered about. But I can see why people might be bothered.

5. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

Agree.

6. coochiekuta macrumors 6502

blizzard tried doing this and it didnt work out for them. blizzard had it to where everyone but blizzard employees had to display their real name. wtf is wrong with these guys? yes its their product, therefore their rules but you wont make anything mainstream using such tactics.

the only people who need to know my real name on the web are people im paying money to or those whom pay money to me. even sometimes those people do not need my name.

7. *LTD* macrumors G4

*LTD*

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Mobile/8C148)

Sharing your real name should be the least of your security worries. Besides, it's your NAME. That's it. Chances are, your crazy ex knows it, too.

It's easy. My name is Xoltar the Magnificent. See? That wasn't so hard now was it.

8. Rodimus Prime macrumors G4

Rodimus Prime

9. yourwiseguy macrumors regular

yourwiseguy

Is there a reason why they just can't make it an option? I don't know why everything is so black and white with Apple. I use my real name and have no problem (it's in my email address and most of my usernames) but why not let people decide?

10. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

I don't know, but according to certain Apple fanboys, the general non-techy public never change their options. Thus rendering it pointless to have them. :rolleyes:

11. MrMcD macrumors newbie

For some of us, privacy is very important. Some of us have names that are rarer than "John Smith" and occupations where having our name associated with something like this is not a good idea. There is simply no reason to require this. Make it optional, Apple.

12. LOLaMac macrumors regular

Well, to be fair, there isn't really anything wrong with Blizzard. There was an overwhelmingly negative response to RealID when it was first announced, and Blizzard actually listened to the players and decided not to go ahead with it. I don't see anything wrong with a company that listens to it's customers.