Apple's Game Plan through MacWorld '09?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by Tallest Skil, Apr 7, 2008.

1. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Okay, here's how I think the lineup of releases will look for the remainder of this year. Discuss and flame!

June 9, 2008 (WWDC Keynote): BluperDrive option for the mac pro (price?) Cinema Displays updated to include HDCP in conjunction with Blu-ray, no price drop (black border?)
    3G iPhone w/firmware 2.0

(If there is a processor update/redesign for the MacBook/Pro, it should happen here, but that's a lot for WWDC)

(If there is a much smaller Mac Mini, it should happen here, but that's a lot for WWDC)

Septemberish: Yearly iPod refresh. Not much new here. Shuffle remains the same, Nano goes to 8/16 (?), Classic goes to 100/160, Touch drops 8.

November: New iPod Socks.

What? There has to be something between the iPods and Nehalem Mac Pros!

MacWorld '09: Nehalem Mac Pro (the reason I made this thread)
    Octore Nehalem processors from ?.??Ghz to ?.??Ghz
    500 GB HDD (all further specs standard) up to 4 1.5 TB drives and something SAS
    2 (4?) GB DDR3 FB-DIMMs up to 32GB
    ATI 3870, nVidia 9900 GT, Quadro 5600 (but there'll be something else by then, right?)
    1 SuperDrive, up to two BluperDrives
    1.2 KW PSU

(redesign imminent?)

Share and Enjoy!

2. liketom macrumors 601

liketom

there is one thing i've learnt ... never wait on apple to release anything :D

iphone 3g will be at wwdc - but shipping time will be in 60 day's after then

the same goes for the Mac Pro's - they will hold off untill the very last min then announce them as shipping today - but with a vital part ie GPU card that has a lead time of 30 day's;)

and so on ..

if you need it now , rather then want it now :D

but we will get new iPod's on time as they will be just storage bumps

3. Maniamac macrumors member

Oo, I wanna play! 2008 will be far too innovative not to play.

DESKTOP
    *iMac update April or May
    *Mac Mini redesigned and updated close to May

NOTEBOOK
    *MacBook Pro redesigned and updated June
    *MacBook redesigned and updated September

iPHONE
    *3G iPhone released in June, also with GPS, a better rear camera, integrated iSight, iChat AV, and exclusive, enhanced apps (e.g. YouTube will now support direct video uploads)

iPOD
    *September updates, as usual

ACCESSORIES
    *Wired and Wireless multi-touch trackpads for the Mac Mini, iMac, and Mac Pro. Look for these around the time of the MacBook redesign, so that in one fell swoop Apple can say "today we're bringing multi-touch to the rest of our computers." It will also coincide with a sudden disappearance of "my scroll ball is stuck" posts on MacRumors.

DIGITAL LIFE
    *Really, really enticing .Mac apps launched later in this year

And just for giggles, the highlights of 2009....

MacWorld '09: iLife and iWork '09, for starters. But the big news will be a consumer-level server done Apple style, to be launched with iTunes 8.
    June 2009: Apple's next Mac OS launches, to go toe-to-toe with Windows 7. MacTouch believers will also feel vindicated this month; people will line up for multi-touch 2.0, which will employ a superlative use of handwriting recognition.

4. Mal macrumors 603

Mal

Hmm, I can totally see this happening. It wouldn't be a server like we typically think of that you'd hide away, though, but perhaps a media-center type device that can serve iTunes and iPhoto libraries to multiple computers, and of course other types of information as a regular file server. Complements Time Capsule and either works with it or replaces it depending on how they put it together. Could spell the end of the Mac Mini or just make it feasible to remove the optical drive (if this server device had one, you wouldn't need an optical on your main computer, because it could serve optical media to a Mac Mini and/or an Air and other products yet to be announced without optical drives).

jW

5. Tallest Skil thread starter macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

Thanks for the replies on a speculation thread!

I'm TOTALLY not seeing full OS GUI-based multitouch until OS XI.

There will be completely redesigned computers to compliment OS XI; they will redefine what we call a computer, but OS X will not be reliant on multitouch. It's currently nothing more than a gimmick. (This from an iPhone owner who realizes its future potential.)

6. Bambeezer macrumors regular

I just don't see Apple announcing a 3G iphone then making us wait to get it. They'd be killing a lot of momentum for sales. That thing will have to be available days after the announcement or people will wait. Last time they announced it so far in advance, they hurt other cell phone makers because we waited to make an iphone purchase. I doubt they'll hurt themselves.

7. Salavat23 macrumors 6502

We have discussed this already.

Nehalem - Octo-core standard, 16 core upgrade. (Nehalem will be available in 8-cores).

12 DDR3 slots (6 channels) for a total of 192GB of ram (DDR3 FB-DIMMS have a maximum capacity of 16GB/Module).

ATI 4870, Nvidia 9900 GT (Successor to the 9800 GT)

Blu-Ray drives option

750-800watt PSU.

There will be no need to put a 1.2k PSU. All of the components will be MUCH more efficient.

8. Tallest Skil thread starter macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

I agree with this completely except for the PSU. It's a 1.2kw PSU now, so why would they downgrade? Maybe by Nehalem's release, the Big Two will have some actual mainstream EFI graphics cards and we'll be able to use our five slots (yes, five).

So, still on track for MacWorld '09 or are we going with the 518 day theory and saying WWDC '09 (which happens EXACTLY 518 days after the Penryn update)?

9. thinkband macrumors regular

Here is my input...

Macbook pro - New designs not in WWDC but MW Jan '09. Apple just updated the laptops in February with some notable functions such as multitouch and I cannot see them screwing their customers by updating 4 months later with a case overhall. Something like this is MAJOR and would not happen at WWDC, right? Like all of you, I am waiting till June 13 to buy my macbook pro because I want to make sure nothing happens, but I say 75% chance nothing will happen to the macbook pro, just to the iphone.

Cinema displays - Maybe in June because they havn't updated these in like forever. Though I agree with some users that now new technologies are getting started with Samsung and Sony, Apple might wait a while until the prices for these components go down.. and then they can jump in with some nice displays.

10. zainjetha macrumors 6502a

my main worry is the update of iPhone to 3g.. i cant browse with these terrible edge speeds. i just hate it...

11. emptyCup macrumors 65816

emptyCup

Maybe as an option but not standard. Demand is falling and Apple is clearly pushing for digital distribution through iTunes.

12. t0mat0 macrumors 603

t0mat0

Good call on the Blu Ray. I guess maybe they figured that the companies would get greedy after HD-DVD fell (the discounts and price reductions kinda disappeared after it was clear HD DVD was on the way out).

Instead of reducing the price of Blurary players and drives, they've kept them and the discs at sky high prices. Larger HD drives, h264 and VOD seems to be working ok... Maybe they don't want Bluray to get a large following?

13. HD Shooter macrumors member

Blu Ray

"Good call on the Blu Ray" I hope not....

As a content creator I surely hope Apple isn't going to force feed us thier line of 720p excrement and make us deliver on apple TV units.

I shoot in 1920x1080 30p and want to deliver in my fullest resolution. I have, as many many others, invested heavily in apple equipment and software.

I have been waiting to see if Apple will give us thier usual full service delivery method so I won't have to jump through hoops to make a blu-ray disk. I know about the HDCP and the OS not ready for it but that is for watching copy protected movies. As a pro I want to create non-copy protected disks. We now have very cheap options to go blu-ray via third party so why can't we do it apple style?

The only thing I can say is that they want to make sure they can do it all. Play and create br disks. That I can see. BUT for pros who really sits in front of thier computer longer than they need to get actual work done. Give me my 60" screen for movies.

Anyway, I have been waiting and pushing my timeline waiting for apple to give us this abitliy. PLEASE apple in JUNE!!!!!

14. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

I don't think there'll be any new Mac refresh announcements for WWDC. It's really going to be focused on the iPhone SDK/firmware 2.0, and a new 3G iPhone. I'm guessing they'll have a special August event for Macs, like last year for that purposed. And, no way they won't have a price drop on the cinema displays. $600 for a 20"?! $850 for a 23"!!

15. akm3 macrumors 68020

BluRay only makes sense to exist on the Pros. (Mac Pro and MAYBE the Macbook Pro), and only from a content creator sense, not from a consumer use sense.

Apple wants us all to go digital downloads via iTunes, not invest into BluRay. Apple will only move to BluRay if it is absolutely forced to due to BluRay becoming standard on competitors systems. I mean, can you even buy a Combo drive on a PC anymore?! Apple still offers it on their mid-range stuff (Apple has no 'low end' stuff)

Apple wants iTunes to rule the world and BluRay to die.

16. aaquib macrumors 65816

aaquib

The fact is though, Bluray isn't dieing. Far from it. I do agree that Mac Pro's will be the first to get a Bluray option, but as Bluray is the new HD standard in our industry now, and all Macs are going to have to support it. I just can't see how Apple will deny the new storage medium. I'm guessing Mac Pro's will get it this year, and the other Mac's will get it next year, unless Apple wants to give it to the iMac this year.

17. akm3 macrumors 68020

I agree with you, I should have send not IF they are forced to offer it but, they will wait until the very last second WHEN they are forced to offer it.

Perhaps they want to hang off long enough to let iTunes get a foothold (they hope). Eventually they will implement it, but I wouldnt't be surprised if we went another 2 revisions on everything before they finally, grudgingly add it.

18. HD Shooter macrumors member

Too Bad

It really would be just a shame and an insult to the pro user community to force our hand by waiting until the last minute.

I did have a thought regarding the compatibility of the first gen br players not being able to play the disks we can create using third party software. I can see this as an issue with offering BR delivery to clients with said machines.

I still really hate the way SD DVD just kills the quality.

The HD camcorder has been around for a while now and the PC community has had this capability for that long while so why would apple be so far behind on this. Do I really need to install Toast 9? Or Adobe?

sigh

June baby June.... come on... rolls dice......

19. LotusLord macrumors 6502

LotusLord

The Capital of the Land of Cheese and Beer
    Could one add a Blu-Ray drive (burner or not) to a current Mac Pro and have it be recognized by OS X?

20. Minico88 macrumors newbie

They might add a removable keyboard to the MBP to pacify all of the people stuck between a notebook and an Imac,:confused:

21. Maniamac macrumors member

I feel it's about time to update my predictions, especially since we are on the verge of an event that I think will be far more exciting than the rather ho-hum MacWorld '08.

MAC OS

1. 10.5.3 contains drivers for forthcoming products. Whatever these products are, their inclusion in 10.5.3 suggests that they will be released before 10.5.4.
    2. 10.5.4 will support the rollout of Me at the end of this month.
    3. 10.5.x updates have been way heftier than what's typical of 10.x.x updates. This implies that either Leopard is far buggier, or Apple is aggressively stabilizing Leopard so that they could focus on 10.6 and NOT have it see a 4+ month delay. I think the latter.
    4. I think today's 10.6 rumors are truer than not. It is FAR further along in development than I think many here would believe.

MACBOOK/MACBOOK PRO

Stuff is alleging that there will be an August Apple Event. The idea isn't that far-fetched. Last August saw the new-look iMac. This time, it's the notebooks' turn.

ME

1. This will be detailed on Monday. I think it will be much more compelling than rumors already hint. My guess is that network icons in 10.5.3 for the iPhone and iPod touch are for an extension of "Back to My Mac" for those devices.
    2. A brief aside: I think the name of the service is just about perfect. .Mac was about "Your life. Online." What better way to convey that idea than just, "Me"? Plus, I imagine the marketers will have fun with "I" (the iApps) and "Me." Just think: "iChat. iPhoto. iMovie. iWeb. Me," only more clever.

iPHONE

Revealed Monday. All the rumors make it seem as though it'll have all the hardware we could hope for: 3G, GPS, higher resolution rear camera, integrated iSight. It almost leaves little room for an iPhone 3 next year (WiMax?). For this reason, I no longer know what to think about its specifications. For some reason, I expect it to lose the chrome trim and have a more "cohesive" look than the current phone.

MAC MINI

I think this is due for a rebirth, not only cosmetically, but in purpose. This could conceivably be the product 10.5.3 has new drivers for, but I don't think so.

iPOD

Updates following the Back to School promotion, as usual. It will be hard to justify an event for just capacity bumps. It's reasonable to expect the iPod touch to benefit from some of the iPhone 3G's restyling and advancements. But I truly expect at least one brand new touch device at this event as well.

THE FUTURE OF MULTI-TOUCH

The more I think about it, the less I think finger-to-screen multi-touch is practical on the desktop. For starters, it simply cannot ENTIRELY replace the mouse/keyboard combo--your arm would get tired! To me, it verges on gimmickry; there is absolutely nothing wrong with a good mouse and keyboard. So, I do think that that implementation of multi-touch will be relegated to portable devices. That said, I would not be surprised to see a multi-touch trackpad as a solution at the desktop level, which would let us do those same multi-touch commands without losing the ergonomics.

THE APPLE HOME SERVER

With convergence clearly becoming Apple's goal and Me essentially linking Apple's entire ecosystem of products, a consumer-level server done Apple-style is becoming a no-brainer. The only question is when?

NEXT WEEK'S BIG SURPRISE

When we take a look at WWDC's itinerary, there are quite a few sessions yet to be announced ("Getting Started"). Yes, this is normal. But remember the rumors from quite a while ago that Apple was set to announce an entirely new, mind-blowing product in 2008? I do. Could this be this time for it? Perhaps.

The only question is: What is it? A tablet that's essentially a bigger iPhone is, while handy for some, hardly awe-inspiring; it's just more screen real estate. I think it's far too early for a tablet that runs OS X in full. Benchmarks of an Atom (would which presumably power a tablet) running Leopard were really unimpressive. In other words, if it would only be capable of web surfing, Emailing, and light document editing, then what's the point of it running 10.5?

What I'm getting to is this: I think Apple has a new device up its sleeve that isn't a tablet. I have no evidence. I don't, like so many forum members that crop up around keynotes, know a soul in the know. ;) It's just, as this thread calls for, a guess!

Let me know what you think.