Apple's Gaming Console Idea

Discussion in 'iPad' started by RafaT97, Jul 14, 2011.

1. RafaT97 macrumors newbie

Since there has been a rumor of a possible iPad 2 Pro or HD with higher quality resolution’s coming this fall I had this crazy idea:

Why can’t it be a gaming console? How?

With an Apple TV we can mirror what we see on the iPad to our TV via airplay, if we have an iPad HD that means we can mirror better resolutions into our TV and then if apple produces a playstation or xbox like wireless controller we have a gaming console.

Too crazy? :p

2. poloponies macrumors 68030

And they could call it Pippin! Great idea.

3. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

Yeah, I think it's too crazy :) But not that it's a stupid idea or anything, just unlikely. With iPad/AppleTV you are not limited to just mirroring iPad output. RealRacing2HD allows you to use the iPad as a controller and the actual output goes to the TV. So I think the more likely scenario is using the iPad as the console (as in it runs the game) and controller, and you AppleTV is your "screen."

I think it's pretty cool to have you iPad as a super functional/flexible controller and use the AppleTV as a beautiful huge screen.

(BTW if anyone hasn't tried RealRacing2HD over AirPlay, try it. It's really dang cool.)

4. gkarris macrumors 604

gkarris

More likely on an AppleTV with a real controller with real buttons...

$500+ iPads as controllers - no thanks...

5. ActionableMango macrumors 604

ActionableMango

Higher resolution is not needed to compete with consoles. The iPad's 1024x768 resolution is already better than the vast majority of current gen console games and nobody seems to notice their HD consoles are not actually rendering in 1080P... or even 720P.

Really there is no technical reason why the iPad2 itself cannot be a game console right now. A dock with power and HDMI out would be perfect. Connect to handheld controller(s) by way of bluetooth. Provide an API for game developers to use the controllers.

As for RealRacing2HD, I don't think that's a good example of how the iPad can be a console. Holding the entire iPad2 as a controller is not good. There is a lack of analog sticks. No physical buttons. It limits you to single player. It is not physically supported so it will wear out your arms. The battery life will be a problem because you won't want a power cord going to the side of your steering wheel... keep in mind the thing is pumping out A/V wirelessly, rendering two different displays, not to mention running a demanding game and whatever else is going on in the background. That scenario does not make for a console replacement.

Granted, they are working with what's available and it is amazing as a tech demo of what is possible right now with no changes whatsoever.

6. radiogoober macrumors 6502a

Yeah, that's a good point.

I would be interested in a remote control for AppleTV. Knowing Apple it'd only have one button :) (kidding)

7. RWinOR macrumors 6502

Greenest and wettest place in North America
    Gaming Console hum

Apples next gadget....iPlay

8. RafaT97 thread starter macrumors newbie

Good point.