Apple's "Genius" Engineers and Programmers

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mwillack, Aug 18, 2008.

1. mwillack macrumors newbie

My new iPhone totally locked up the other day. I couldn't move to any screen and the power button didn't work at all. I had to restart so I thought I'd remove the battery. Oh wait, you can't do that. I'm sure there is a reason for that, but I can't come up with one. So I thought I'd press the reset button. Surprise, surprise..not one of those either. What is with that kind of thinking? What am I missing? So for the next 4 hours I watched and waited until the battery totally drained and then I was able to reset it. It worked fine after that, but I missed 4 hours of very important calls and emails. But that just seems to be fine with the "geniuses" at Apple. The list of things I don't like about this "miracle phone" grows longer every day. No copy and paste? What were they NOT thinking? :mad:

2. DreamPod macrumors 65816

Or, you could have read the manual or did a 5 second Google search and seen that the iPhone has a hard-reset built-in, just hold the Home and "Power" button down until the system reboots.

Especially if you were expecting very important phone calls as you say, *I* would have at least done the minimal research to make sure I wasn't missing anything.

3. skubish macrumors 68030

skubish

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 2_0_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/525.18.1 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/3.1.1 Mobile/5B108 Safari/525.20)

RTFM buddy. You phailed.

4. Sky Blue Guest

Sky Blue

Surprise, Surprise, yes there is!

5. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

ROFL x10000000. Wait, who is the genius here? LMFAO.

6. cere macrumors 6502

Does anyone really think this was anything more than a trolling thread to begin with?

7. nikhsub1 macrumors 68000

nikhsub1

Of course he is a troll... hence my reply.

8. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

My money is on the OP not even having an iPhone.

Must be a slow day on the Blackberry forums.

9. SFStateStudent macrumors 604

SFStateStudent

Let's see, one STAR = Terrible, 0 STAR = CRAP...Wasteland make room for this thread...

10. iGary Guest

iGary

11. goodcow macrumors 6502a

Yeah, mine completely hard locked on Amtrak and simply wouldn't respond to anything.

Plugging it into my MacBook Pro, iTunes just spit out a message saying:

"iTunes could not connect to the iPhone "" because an invalid response was received from the device."

Having a non-removable battery is stupid.

12. TEG macrumors 604

TEG

Sounds like you had a hardware fault. Had you had a removable battery, instead of a phone with a lit screen, and iTunes being able to see it, you would have just had a brick.

TEG

13. jonnymo5 macrumors 6502

and ripping the battery out of a device while it is in some inconsistent state is a "genius" solution? You found the forum but couldn't find the search feature?

P.S. ripping the power cord out of your PC is not a good idea either....

14. sk8mash macrumors 6502a

sk8mash

15. cere macrumors 6502

I expect it is slow day in the WinMo forums. Most trolls in the iPhone forums seem to be WinMo apologists. Either that or the OP was grounded by mom and dad and decided post.

16. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

I don't know why I'm always amazed by these types of posts/threads, but I am. It's getting to be a running joke, like the "only one speaker!" threads and posts.

If the OP really is legit in his post, he is an idiot for...

A. Not realizing the battery was fixed in place.
    B. Not doing a basic amount of research.
    C. Letting four hours of "important calls" go unanswered because of A and B.

17. scaredpoet macrumors 604

scaredpoet

really? I guess the Blackberry fanboy-trolling was a flash in the pan. They used to come in and pre-emptively talk about about how the iPhone will never replace Blackberries because touch screens are "stupid." I guess the Blackberry Thunder kinda shut them up on that. :)

18. cere macrumors 6502

Could be both. I haven't seen a lot of BB trolls myself.

One thing I have noticed is that the one common feature that all of the WinMo trolls/fanboys always mention is cut and paste. It is like they all share a common brain and that is the only real issue they can think of. Meanwhile they use what is widely considered the bottom tier mobile OS. They generally come off as having to justify their decision to use WinMo. Business users have until now generally gone BB. Consumers seem to love the iPhone. WinMo is losing ground to both and with good reason.

Edit: Also, I think a lot of the BB trolls were not really BB owners either. Just as most trolls will falsely claim to own the iPhone in order to substantiate their complaints, I think they also fabricate their BBs.

19. bluenoise macrumors 6502a

On top of that, only a couple of apps on my old WinMo phones supported copy-paste and they did it poorly. It's not universal. Still, it would sure be nice to have it on the iPhone someday.

20. eye.surgeon macrumors 6502

Firstly RTFM as others have pointed out.

As for cut and paste. It's a phone. If you regularly need cut and paste, you probably should be using an ultraportable and not a phone.

21. Van Wildonher macrumors 6502a

Not so. Copy and paste works fine. (used Windows Mobile 5 and 6)

Edit: Oh you said apps. I was talking about main os stuff like internet, addresses and whatnot.