Apple's getting sneaky...

Discussion in 'iPhone Tips, Help and Troubleshooting' started by gerbil545, Dec 21, 2010.

1. gerbil545 macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Hello. I am here to discuss the recent deterioration of my iPhone 3GS.
    First problem: At any given time, the screen can go black. Any app will crash as it pleases or the phone will simply turn off.
    Second problem: I can no longer reset my phone. It used to be that holding down both buttons would solve any freezing, but now it stays stuck on the Apple logo. After that I had to wipe all the data off and restore.
    Third problem: Since I restored it, I have been getting loads of old emails sent in as new, 50 at a time. It's not Yahoo! Mail's fault. It's the phone.
    Fourth problem: As I was typing this, I got a text. When I tap Messages, I see that all my text conversations have been erased. They were there five minutes ago.

My conclusion? Apple phones aren't made to last. I thought everyone knew this. I thought I knew this. But it's worse when your phone actually begins to fail. It's pathetic how a phone can't last a whole two years. But I'm not buying another phone.

So even if you thought your phone was new, watch out.

Watch out.

2. Max. macrumors member

Max.

I don't think that these are due to Apple, this is more software than hardware. Some users here still have a perfectly working 1st-Generation iPhone.

3. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

Mobile phones in general aren't built to last two years.

4. Intell macrumors P6

Intell

Most of those problems are most likely caused an old backup. Try restoring the iPhone and set it up as a new phone. If you are jailbroken, don't jailbreak again. It's possible that you installed something that messed up phone.

My conclusion: I love my launch day 3Gs, it has never let me down and continues to be used heavily every day. It's pathetic how people don't know what they are doing and start messing with stuff then blame the maker when it dies or malfunctions.

So remember, most Apple iPhones work fine. It's the whiners that shout the loudest.

I'm watching TV.

5. gerbil545 thread starter macrumors newbie

Wirelessly posted (Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_2_1 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/533.17.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/5.0.2 Mobile/8C148a Safari/6533.18.5)

Well. It's nice to know that my problems are pathetic. But I have never jailbroken my phone or messed with the hardware in the least. I treat my phone with care, thank you.
    I know it's not the *phone* but one reason may be that we don't have an Applr computer. Our PC has always run iTunes very poorly.
    I'm using the latest iTunes and iPhone versions, and I've already restored it to a backup I had from last week. It also had these problems long before I had to restore it.

I'm only saying that phones won't last anymore.

6. aristobrat macrumors G5

My conclusion? Same as Intell's -- you haven't done enough to prove that the phone itself is the problem.

It sounds like you have a problem with your configuration. Restoring a screwed up backup will not solve that problem.

7. gerbil545 thread starter macrumors newbie

No, the backup didn't "cause" all these problems. I only restored it when it never turned back on after a manual reset.

8. stridemat Moderator

stridemat

Staff Member

No phones that I have owned have lasted since I upgraded from my Nokia 3310. It was built to last. The biggest issues I always found was battery life. However Apple, Nokia, Samsung, RIM, are a business that need to make a profit. By 'designing in' planned obsolescence they are creating a revenue stream.

9. gerbil545 thread starter macrumors newbie

It wasn't the backup, and I don't think it's the phone. I only restored it because it wouldn't turn back on after a manual reset.

10. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

I agree.
    It depends how you treat of your phone or stuff in general.
    I know people that cant make it 1-2 months without destroying their cellphone and others with 3 year old cellphones that still look brand new.

The only way to determine it wasnt a faulty or buggy backup is to restore and setup as new.

11. vachargerfan macrumors regular

What they are saying is that restoring from a backup could be bringing these problems. restore it as a brand new phone, and don't use the backup. See if that fixes the problems. If it does, you know that the backup was bringing corrupted stuff back to the phone

12. gerbil545 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, that's pretty much what I mean. They want it to fail. That's my conspiracy.

13. bigjnyc macrumors 603

bigjnyc

So because you are having problems with your specific iPhone all iphones are made to break down quick? I have a friend who is still holding strong with his original iphone 2G and other than it being slow (naturally with all the new processor intensive apps and updates) he has no complaints.... Anyway all products have a few defective units, doesnt mean every single one ever made is bad.

14. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

We're friends?:D

I still have my original 2G iPhone which is rock solid, this phone has been treated like crap and dropped many many times in its life. Still perfectly fine.

In regards to iTunes running crap on your PC the windows version of iTunes is pretty poor and the Mac version is better.

As others have suggested I would try a clean install of the OS and see if it still has the problems.

15. Carlanga macrumors 604

Carlanga

I believe those are software issues not hardware... :rolleyes:
    restore as NEW and DON'T use any backup and then come back... ;)
    My 3GS works just as good as the first day I bought it and even better now w/ multitasking and the other new stuff!

16. Dagless macrumors Core

Dagless

Really? Before my Razr was stolen I had that for 3 years, was in perfect condition, battery still lasted a few days before needing a charge. Before that I had a 4 year old Siemens M35i.
    Phones, like any electronic, can last as long as you want so long as you take care of them.
    (still using a 4 year old iPod 5G for videos, 4 year old iMac...)

17. gerbil545 thread starter macrumors newbie

Yeah, I'm not gonna wipe all the data and set it up as new.

18. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

Not even to try and troubleshoot? You can always restore your data back later if it is not that.

19. Applejuiced macrumors Westmere

Applejuiced

That's your choice/problem.

20. Ubuntu macrumors 68000

Ubuntu

Well my old 3G is still working fine (and my girlfriend is using it alot!), plus its not fair to compare the iPhone to older phones because generally speaking it can do more things. When you say its not built to last you imply that you know of a time when phones were - the only generation of phone I can think of is the black and white phones or maybe the first camera phones - and the iPhone does alot more than them, is more complex and thus there are alot more things that can go wrong.

21. Dr Kevorkian94 macrumors 68020

i was in the apple store the other day and the genius, me and another guy were having a conversation (i was in there because my hard drive broke :mad: ). so the one guy was having problems with his iphone. the genius was saying its a good idea to turn the phone off once and a while, he said that the memory gets high and corrupts data. So if its an old phone that never gets turned off then it can have bad effects.