Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

searchub

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
Apple beast

Apple is kinda a beast that is able to eat other monsters, but couldn't swollow them

TheHateMachine

macrumors 6502a
Sep 18, 2012
That's because Google is creepy.

----------

yeah.. without them, Blackberry-like smartphone will not be this popular today. :D
Google just show off to make an impression that it's the first, like the Map presentation they did a year ago. What a pathetic company.

All that Google hate cannot be good for your spleen or your blood pressure.

nekonari

macrumors member
Nov 27, 2012
Washington, DC
The whole time reading this post, I couldn't help but think if Siri could use this to become a more realistic assistant, it'd be really great... instead of what it became now--an afterthought. :(

MegamanX

macrumors regular
May 13, 2013
So Apple is not allowed to compete in spaces they don't invent? If that's the case Android should never have existed, Google+ rips off Facebook, Google maps rips off mapquest, Google mail rips off exchange, Google voice ripped off Skype... Etc etc. you could literally go on for days with all the products they pretty much directly rip or absorb. The innovation is taking these ideas and improving upon the experience or offering a different take, which this clearly does. To expect apple to no enter the adaptive systems space simply because Google was there first is silly.

No it is not that. Why Apple gets rip on so harshly for the copying is how big of hypocrites they are. Apple and its army of Apple fanboys are massive cry babies over anything that remotely copies something Apple has done but then Apple turns around and does very blatant copying everyone else.

if you notice Android fans do not scream fowl over MS copying or Blackberry copying ect nor do those companies really scream fowl over Android. Heck they do not even make much noise over Apple but Apple on the other hand makes a huge deal over minor offenses.

The issue at hand is how big of a hypocrite Apple is being.

tjanuranus

macrumors member
May 25, 2004
Has apple improved Maps at all? I've been using it lately and I've yet to have an issue (like people like to complain about). I didn't use it much at the early stages.

radiohead14

macrumors 6502a
Nov 6, 2008
nyc
oh please, did you think anyone didn't know that Haswell was more efficient on battery life? That still doesn't take away from the fact that Mavericks itself has new power management features implemented by Apple in software. Or did you think those features will only work on Haswell equipped Macs from 2013?

Here, I'll start you off
http://arstechnica.com/apple/2013/06/how-os-x-mavericks-works-its-power-saving-magic/

I'll concede you're correct if in fact Intel has written all of the new power saving and performance features in Mavericks such as App Nap, timer coalescing, the new Safari, memory compression, etc instead of Apple.

again.. you missed the point.. if Windows based notebooks are gaining the same battery life increase as MBA's.. then App Nap is not the main reason for the extra hours we'll be getting, which was my original point in the first place if you had bothered to comprehend instead of going into your auto apple defense mode.

lilo777

macrumors 603
Nov 25, 2009
Has apple improved Maps at all? I've been using it lately and I've yet to have an issue (like people like to complain about). I didn't use it much at the early stages.

It's main issue is that it is not connected to Google search and all the capabilities that come with huge Google database and know how.

Tigger92

macrumors member
Sep 22, 2009
North Carolina
You mean that it is a perfect rebrand of Google Now... right?

It seems from now onwards we don't need to guess any rumour for future updates... just list the most popular ones after each new version... and there you go, implemented in the next innovative, amazing, incredible, phenomenal, never seen before iOS

Of course, no other companies have ever done that....certainly not Microsoft or Samsung! and Google has never done that... :rolleyes:

danahn17

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
Of course, no other companies have ever done that....certainly not Microsoft or Samsung! and Google has never done that... :rolleyes:

The irony is had people not made a big deal about Samsung/Google/etc copying Apple features, nobody would care that Apple copied Now... And it's still relatively civil compared to the pro-Apple posts in the past (SAMEsung, samDung, etc).

obliquity

macrumors newbie
Jul 25, 2012
Today is my favorite new feature.

This was one of the first features i noticed after installing iOS 7. This is by far my favorite. The implementation of it is really well done and super convenient since I normally would wake up in the morning, roll over and pull up my calendar for the day along with the days weather. Now I just swipe down on the lock screen and voila!, there it is.

----------

I haven't had much of a chance to use maps yet but I can certainly let you know when I get to. I am much like you in that I have never had any issues with Maps from day one. In truth I have had many more issues with Google Maps taking me to the wrong place or on an extremely long route. And this is from a guy that was very doubtful Maps would be all that great from the get go.

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
No it is not that. Why Apple gets rip on so harshly for the copying is how big of hypocrites they are. Apple and its army of Apple fanboys are massive cry babies over anything that remotely copies something Apple has done but then Apple turns around and does very blatant copying everyone else.

if you notice Android fans do not scream fowl over MS copying or Blackberry copying ect nor do those companies really scream fowl over Android. Heck they do not even make much noise over Apple but Apple on the other hand makes a huge deal over minor offenses.

The issue at hand is how big of a hypocrite Apple is being.

Microsoft has sued many companies into oblivion for copying their ideas. so if i apply your logic then everyone should hate Microsoft. But your saying Android fans don't "scream fowl over MS" - why not? And lets be realistic - GOOGLE has also done its fair share of suing as well.

Google now was Google's answer to SIRI and SIRI today is Apples answer to Google now - the only thing this does is benefit us the user - competition is good!!!!!! Lawsuits are for the legal departments to worry about not us.

Analog Kid

macrumors G3
Mar 4, 2003
I agree, the whole "we were first!" or "you copy!" thing is a bit silly. But I'm thinking the responses on this thread regarding Today is partly due to the harsh criticisms on the forums in the past directed at any company (Google, Samsung, etc) copying Apple.
Exactly my point-- don't bring old fights into new and unrelated threads. Expecting unbiased views from users of an Apple dedicated forum is unreasonable. Bringing outside air into the bubble is welcome, but that's not what I'm seeing. I'm seeing sniping, trolling, and general bitterness.

If you have a grudge from an earlier argument, carry on the argument in the earlier thread, create a new thread, or address the person you have a beef with directly. It is possible to cross post across forums-- make use of that capability. People are notified when you reply to their comments in any thread.

Marauding groups of thugs trying to intimidate the masses at every turn aren't welcome.

shk718

macrumors 65816
Jun 26, 2007
This was one of the first features i noticed after installing iOS 7. This is by far my favorite. The implementation of it is really well done and super convenient since I normally would wake up in the morning, roll over and pull up my calendar for the day along with the days weather. Now I just swipe down on the lock screen and voila!, there it is.

----------

are you using your iOS-7 phone as your main phone? how is the battery life? i'm thinking of getting a developers account to get it - but i'm worried it may be too soon to use a beta 1 OS. how's it working for you?

jdechko

macrumors 601
Jul 1, 2004
The today screen isn't an Android/Google thing, Windows Mobile/ PocketPC had the same thing years ago. Everything's a remix.

Fortunately, we live in an age with better technology, so the information we get is faster and more accurate.

I'd like to see some predictive technology that knows when you wake up and show's this screen first thing in the morning (with a setting to turn it off, of course). I'd really like M-F to be able to wake the screen and immediately glance at everything going on for that day.

Keane16

macrumors 6502a
Dec 8, 2007
I know companies copy from one another, but thank god for Google. They are the only ones pushing things forward.

Yep, I can't wait for Google's 'Find my Android' built into the OS. Or their competitor to iTunes U. Or their implementation of Activation Lock. Google's answer to Siri should be good (oh wait they already built on Apple's Siri and released Google Now).

Microsoft, Google, Apple, Nokia, Samsung, HTC, Facebook etc, etc, etc have all innovated in the last few years. Expanding on ideas of their peers.

To say Google are the only ones pushing the sector forward is offensive to all the other players.

Where would we be without the original iPhone?
The App Store model?
The MacBook Air 'ultrabook' model?
The left hand side navigation menu from the Facebook app? (which Google use now).
Twitter's (Brichter's) pull to refresh gesture?
WebOS's multitasking implementation?

Everyone builds on prior work.

The fact your post is one of the most up-voted of the thread says a lot about the user base on here of late.

geniusj

macrumors regular
Feb 27, 2004
Santa Clara, CA
In iOS 7 the inclusion of AirDrop (even tho it is proprietary and works only on Apple devices) is something that is new and imo more elegant to the NFC bumping that the likes of Samsung have been bragging about.

I don't think AirDrop and NFC are mutually exclusive. NFC is just a convenient way to identify who it is you're trying to share with. In Android, for anything of a reasonable size, the actual data isn't transferred over NFC, it's just a handshake that allows the real data transfer to start (using WiFi or whatever.)

The same could be done with AirDrop. Let's say you're looking at a photo or album that you want to share with someone sitting nearby, just tap their phone and AirDrop will handle the actual data transfer. No choosing who to send it to, going to a share panel, etc. That is the main benefit of NFC.

danahn17

macrumors 6502
Dec 3, 2009
I don't think AirDrop and NFC are mutually exclusive. NFC is just a convenient way to identify who it is you're trying to share with. In Android, for anything of a reasonable size, the actual data isn't transferred over NFC, it's just a handshake that allows the real data transfer to start (using WiFi or whatever.)

The same could be done with AirDrop. Let's say you're looking at a photo or album that you want to share with someone sitting nearby, just tap their phone and AirDrop will handle the actual data transfer. No choosing who to send it to, going to a share panel, etc. That is the main benefit of NFC.

While I agree with you in terms of sharing photo with NFC or AirDrop, I think it's important to remember that NFC isn't JUST sharing files. It's already been used in non-AirDrop-like applications (means of payment, automatic pairing of headsets, etc)... We just have to see if it will become a big player in the future or not (and there's no guarantees about that either).

olegandbuster25

macrumors 6502
Nov 9, 2007
San Antonio, Texas
ok stupid complaint i know but my parallax bubbles arent moving very much and my screen doesnt look all that parallaxy at all. i have a 5 and my friends 4S looked better then mine.

anyone else see this?

joerichards

macrumors newbie
Jun 11, 2013
I quite like the simple look of Today, and somehow the weather in text communicates with me more than the old widget did, but the problem I have with Today is this:

> You can't tap any calendar appointments.
> Checking around the midnight mark is very confusing with today/tomorrow. I was going to bed just after midnight, checked 'Today' and it said 'your morning tomorrow is clear', and I was like, what?!?!?! its totally not.. and of course, thats because it was the day after tomorrow. Problematic.
> When it says 'you have one event starting at 10:00'.. I'm thinking, well would you care to tell me what that event is? No? ok.. well let me tap you then... no? ok well thanks but you haven't been very helpful.

Sometimes I can't believe these things make it out there seemingly still half baked... I wish I worked at Apple.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.