Apple's HD Movie Trailers & H264

Discussion in 'Digital Video' started by Millwood, Jun 19, 2007.

1. Millwood macrumors regular

Hopefully someone knows the answer to this question:
    Does anyone know what program Apple uses to encode it's HD Movie Trailers? I know they all use the H264 codec, which brings amazing quality, I am wondering if the use Compressor 3, or another program.

I have HD stuff i'd like to encode, but am having troubles finding an encoder to make my .ts stuff into an h264 movie using the .mov container.
    It seems the only program that has any success with this is Quicktime Pro, but it takes a very long time to encode and the resulting video, for whatever reason plays fine in Quicktime but doesn't in VLC.

Thanks if anyone can help.

2. sarge macrumors 6502a

sarge

At the FCPS tour event they said that everything on iTunes was now being distributed using the latest version of Compressor - not sure if that answers your question or not...

3. theBB macrumors 68020

theBB

Even VLC might be able to transcode to what you want. (I believe if you go through File -> Streaming/Transcoding or something like that it asks you a few questions before it starts the process.)

If not, how about Handbrake?

In any case, H264 does take quite a bit of time.

4. Millwood thread starter macrumors regular

I tried to do it in VLC, but the only output option with H264 using my original .ts file is another .ts file. Ultimately I'd like to convert my .ts file using h264 in a .mov container.

I would like to use handbrake, just to see how it comes out, but handbrake only accepts video ts or dvd folders, so I have to figure out how to convert the .ts file (without losing any quality) to a dvd image so I can try to encode it in handbrake using h264...