Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Apple today announced that its Health Records feature on iPhone will be available soon to military veterans across the United States.

health-records-apple-800x941.jpg

In partnership with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, American veterans receiving care through the Veterans Health Administration will be able to view their aggregated health records directly in the Health app on their iPhone.

Apple CEO Tim Cook:
We have great admiration for veterans, and we're proud to bring a solution like Health Records on iPhone to the veteran community. It's truly an honor to contribute to the improved healthcare of America's heroes.
Apple introduced the Health Records feature in iOS 11.3 in March 2018, allowing patients to view their medical records from multiple participating hospitals and clinics directly in the Health app on the iPhone, including allergies, vital signs, conditions, immunizations, lab results, medications, and procedures.

More than 100 institutions in the U.S. support Apple Health Records, including Cedars-Sinai in Los Angeles and Johns Hopkins in Baltimore.

UC San Diego Health recently conducted a survey about Apple Health Records and found that 78 percent of patients were "satisfied with using the feature", according to the Journal of the American Medical Association.

Article Link: Apple's Health Records Feature Will Be Available Soon to U.S. Veterans

Mobster1983

macrumors 6502a
Sep 8, 2011
I hope they do a better job securing important confidential medical records than they did with securing group facetime, veterans don't need more anxiety :rolleyes:

As a disabled veteran, my info has been leaked so many times I figure it is public knowledge at this point. ;)

This is really awesome to hear. Will be nice to finally be able to keep track of everything.

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
Genuinely wish I had a doctor nearby that supported Apple health records. I would switch to them in a heartbeat.

mtneer

macrumors 68040
Sep 15, 2012
I guess this will be somewhat useful to affluent healthy veterans - as long as their provider finds this useful. But realistically how many of those veterans who really need medical and mental services - already on the edge can afford to tool around with the latest iPhones?

SatManager

macrumors 6502
Feb 20, 2012
Las Vegas
Probably the same percentage of the American Public that needs health care. The vets I know are not necessarily all poor. Technology challenged maybe, but not all poor. Some could not afford an iPhone, but most can.

And this is from a 100% disabled vet with the Veterans of Foreign Wars.

Rainshadow

macrumors 6502a
Feb 16, 2017
I guess this will be somewhat useful to affluent healthy veterans - as long as their provider finds this useful. But realistically how many of those veterans who really need medical and mental services - already on the edge can afford to tool around with the latest iPhones?

You make it sound like there aren’t many healthy, affluent veterans... What’s more, why do they have to “tool around with” the latest iPhones? I don’t see anything in the article stating they need to be using a recent iPhone. Even the 5s has the health app... People in all levels of financial security have smartphones, and many of them have iPhones. The key is getting the institution to use the tech.

mi7chy

macrumors G4
Oct 24, 2014
Veterans don't need overpriced devices to access MyHealthEVet. Pass.

gaximus

macrumors 68020
Oct 11, 2011
They don't need, but they may want it. The MyHealthEVet is one of the worst sites I've ever had to navigate (It has been getting better lately), But I, in the last few days, needed to get data from my labs. It takes 10 clicks, plus typing in a username and password, just to get to the data I need. And that knowing exactly how to get to it, the first time I tried I spend 15 minutes just trying to figure out where I needed to be. If it's in the health app it would be so much easier to get to.

BuddyTronic

macrumors 68000
Jul 11, 2008

I don’t think you need the latest iPhone to use the health app. It would function well on any iPhone I’m pretty sure.

Reactions: SoN1NjA

citysnaps

macrumors G4
Oct 10, 2011

The vets I know are far from poor.

Cris Smith

macrumors newbie
Feb 11, 2019
New Zealand

Apple today announced that its Health Records feature on iPhone will be available soon to military veterans across the United States.

health-records-apple-800x941.jpg

In partnership with the U.S. Department of Veterans Affairs, American veterans receiving care through the Veterans Health Administration will be able to view their aggregated health records directly in the Health app on their iPhone.

Apple CEO Tim Cook:Apple introduced the Health Records feature in iOS 11.3 in March 2018, allowing patients to view their medical records from multiple participating hospitals and clinics directly in the Health app on the iPhone, including allergies, vital signs, conditions, immunizations, lab results, medications, and procedures.

More than 100 institutions in the U.S. support Apple Health Records, including Cedars-Sinai in Los Angeles and Johns Hopkins in Baltimore.

UC San Diego Health recently conducted a survey about Apple Health Records and found that 78 percent of patients were "satisfied with using the feature", according to the Journal of the American Medical Association.

Article Link: Apple's Health Records Feature Will Be Available Soon to U.S. Veterans
Perhaps New Zealand’s Viet Nam Vets could be considered for use of these health facilities. The Watch would be great for me to keep an eye on my AF.

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016

Nice try, but virtually every one of our millions of veterans needs or will need medical care, ranging from routine to extreme. Most, not all, can have access to smart phones, including iPhones, and this will benefit them. That's why hundreds of major medical institutions and the VA are working with Apple on this free service.

And "nice" try with the canard of veterans needing "the latest iPhone" in order to participate; it's just an app that you can run on any iPhone that can run iOS 12.
[doublepost=1549908694][/doublepost]

Thankfully, this program's fate didn't depend on your dislike of Apple. Instead, evidence based practices ruled and hundreds of major medical groups, and crucially the VA, have seen the results of the testing, and with Apple's help this will be available to millions of vets who will have access to this free app to improve their health! Amen.

Reactions: thasan and Rogifan

truthertech

macrumors 68020
Jun 24, 2016
Horrifying. Truly a privacy-breach disaster waiting to happen...

It's stored secured and encrypted on your phone, not by Apple. So only you have access to it and your medical providers have access to their information at their end. The privacy nightmare is at the provider end where the security of your medical records is dependent on your local doctor's office or medical group.

Last edited:

ipedro

macrumors 603
Nov 30, 2004
Toronto, ON

You don’t need the latest iPhones. This works on as far back as the iPhone 5s, that’s an over 5 year old phone.

QCassidy352

macrumors G5
Mar 20, 2003
Bay Area

Horrifying. Truly a privacy-breach disaster waiting to happen...

Came here to see how on earth people were going to try to turn this unequivocally positive gesture into a negative. Thanks for not disappointing. Never change, MR commentors, never change.

Reactions: Easttime

jerryk

macrumors 604
Nov 3, 2011
SF Bay Area

Having it on the phone you carry everywhere is a useful. Hopefully they will port this application to Android so the type of phone does not matter. Vets served our country, and we need everyone and every company, to do their bit to serve vets.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.