Apple's Health Records Feature Will Be Available Soon to U.S. Veterans

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Feb 11, 2019 at 7:56 AM.

1. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

I don't know what site you're looking at but after authenticating on MyHealthEVet it takes two clicks to access latest lab. It may not be the prettiest but it's functional and easy and that's more important to the gov/military.

This is not social network. This is private health data and should be treated like your financial accounts or ATM access so should only be displayed when needed with authentication and not presented all the time.

2. 4jasontv macrumors 65816

Someone needs to watch The Newsroom.

3. npmacuser5 macrumors 65816

npmacuser5

My medical provider a stickler for security and they participate in this program. I like the access using one app. Good job Veterans Administration. Also very fortunate Veteran that does not require the VA medical at this time and has the resources to own Apple Products.

4. pdaholic macrumors 65816

pdaholic

Given the numerous companies involved and the variety of different setups within a given company's application, the electronic medical record is incredibly fragmented from one provider to the next. I see this as a possible step towards uniformity, which is a good thing.

5. truthertech macrumors 68000

If you know any vets who are wondering about the price of iPhones, remember to tell them there are plenty of low cost options, such as refurbished phones that don't cost anymore than the cheap, throwaway Androids, so they will not have to sacrifice quality and privacy and use an Android.

6. 4jasontv, Feb 11, 2019 at 1:35 PM
    Last edited: Feb 11, 2019 at 1:42 PM

4jasontv macrumors 65816

You misunderstand. Someone paid for this service. Did I pay as an Apple stockholder, or did I pay as a US citizen?

7. drewsof07 macrumors 68000

drewsof07

Short answer: As a taxpayer.
    Long answer: The HITECH act, part of the ARRA stimulus package mandated vendor compliance newly established technical standards used to send specific pieces of your electronic medical record between systems. Look to the legislators in the house and senate in 2008-2009 if you want to apply blame.

Source: I've worked healthcare IT for the last 10 years. Bringing systems into compliance was my job for the first 5.

I actually approached Apple's Healthcare arm about integrating our systems last summer, at that point they were still developing a universal API.

8. truthertech macrumors 68000

You paid as a stockholder. Apple had its engineers work on the app and with the VA. Altruism and corporate good citizenry aside, the return on this modest investment is likely to be many times greater in terms of goodwill and sales.

9. gaximus macrumors 6502a

Navigate to VA site
    Click login
    Type in username and password (3 clicks or 1 click and 2 tabs and an enter)
    Click health records
    Click VA Blue button records report
    Click at least one report type (assuming date range is what you want)
    Click submit
    Click view PDF
    Click ok that you understand that opening a pdf on a public computer can be a bad idea
    And TADA. Your labs.

Or open health app
    (Have the lab results that most important to you set as favorite)
    Tap on the labs you want to see.

Both option have the same security. I use biometrics to save my password for the VA and even removing those steps it’s still 8 clicks to get to vital information

And you are right it is private health data and should not be treated like a social network but what is wrong with having both options. People on here are acting like having the option is worse than not having the option.

10. mi7chy macrumors 603

mi7chy

That seems to be the long way.

Assuming one has premium account, after authenticating:

1. Click on Labs and Tests to see list of labs ordered by date.
    2. Click on one of the dated labs to view. You can then copy/paste the data or print to PDF.