Apple's 'Hey Siri' Feature in iOS 9 Uses Individualized Voice Recognition

Discussion in 'MacRumors.com News Discussion' started by MacRumors, Sep 11, 2015.

1. MacRumors macrumors bot

MacRumors

[​IMG]

Following the release of the first public beta for iOS 9.1 yesterday, along with the GM version on Wednesday, a few of the testers have come across a new feature introduced in the update. Somewhere in the Settings app, it appears that Apple has quietly added a set-up process for the new "Hey Siri" feature coming to the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus, thanks to a built-in M9 motion coprocessor that enables the phones' always-on functionality.

[​IMG]

Although unconfirmed by Apple, the discovery in iOS 9.1 suggests that Siri will be able to begin detecting specific user voices and determine whether or not the owner of the iPhone in question is speaking to her. Similar in vein to the way Apple aimed its Touch ID feature to work better and better the more you unlocked an iPhone using the fingerprint scanning sensor, it seems the set-up process will guide users into stating words or phrases to better acclimate Siri with each iPhone owner.

Found in General > Siri > Allow 'Hey Siri', the new always-on feature is the next step-up in the technology by Apple, allowing users to ask Siri questions or make changes within the iPhone's apps by simply stating "Hey Siri" near the iPhone. The new set-up process discovered today could also just be a way for Siri to work better detecting voices in general, and not be specific to each user. With the iPhone 6s and iPhone 6s Plus launching in just two weeks, it won't be long until everyone can find out for themselves.

Thanks Alan and Daniel!

Article Link: Apple's 'Hey Siri' Feature in iOS 9 Uses Individualized Voice Recognition

2. sethlution macrumors regular

This feature is also built-in to iOS 9.0 GM, not just 9.1

3. shoorty0690 macrumors member

This Siri set up was is in the 9.0GM as well.
    I must have missed in in the keynote, but is this always on Siri an option on iPhone 6 or specifically 6s?

4. b166er macrumors 68020

b166er

Why not announce this feature? iOS9 is days away, they just showed off the new hardware, seems silly to not even mention it.

5. Liamda1y macrumors newbie

Liamda1y

6. GreyOS macrumors 68040

GreyOS

6s

7. shoorty0690 macrumors member

Ah, thank you GreyOS. Guess I'll just have to wait a few more weeks before trying it out.

8. jermy4 macrumors demi-god

Makes sense, if they didn't do this you could say hey siri ... and everyone's iPhones would come to life around you.

9. GreyOS macrumors 68040

GreyOS

haha yep. was already a problem for me and my partner even with the only-when-plugged-in siri. would have been a nightmare as people start to upgrade to always-on siri devices!
    wonder how accurate it is and whether it'll make mistakes often (i.e. activating other's phones, or not activating yours when you have a cold or something)

10. earthTOmitchel Contributing Editor

earthTOmitchel

Staff Member

Yep, tipsters mentioned this too and overlooked. Thanks for pointing it out, guys, updated.

11. Romey-Rome macrumors regular

I'll kind of miss chuckling when she would randomy come on while watching TV because something on there vaguely sounded like "Hey Siri".

12. Sirious macrumors 65816

Sirious

Does this mean we won't need to be plugged in?

13. madsci954 macrumors 68030

For the 6s and 6s Plus, yes, Hey Siri works without being plugged in. Older devices still need to be plugged in though.

14. xero9 macrumors 6502a

6/6+ - Needs to be plugged in
    6s/6s+ - Any time

15. doelcm82 macrumors 68040

doelcm82

Maybe this explains why my iPhone didn't respond to "Hey Siri" last night.

16. PBG4 Dude macrumors 68030

PBG4 Dude

Only on the 6s models. All other models still need to be plugged in to activate hey Siri.

17. nunes013 macrumors 65816

nunes013

Happened here! Was watching Netflix and I forget what show, but I believe they mentioned Siri and of course she turned on :p

18. davinche macrumors regular

davinche

I've had it happen when my phone was plugged in and I was trying to watch a keynote and one of the Apple employees would say Siri.

19. TonyC28 macrumors 65816

TonyC28

Seems like allowing us to customize the phrase would be easier or more reliable than Siri being able to differentiate between people saying "hey, Siri".

20. peterh988 macrumors 6502a

Always thought it would be 'fun' if you were a radio presenter to suddenly say "Hey Siri, call home" or something, so that numerous motorists would suddenly start seeing their phones dialling out! :)

21. MrMoonUK macrumors member

Why isn't this on the 6? Absolutely no reason other than to up sell the 6s

22. kappaknight macrumors 68000

kappaknight

I wish they'd make the voice less monotone and robotic.

23. marvz macrumors 6502a

marvz

Don't think so. The new M9 coprocessor probably has some kind of connection to the mic which the M7/M8 does not have and therefore would kill your battery.

24. Crosspjc macrumors member

Because it has a new M chip. Without it your battery would be dead in a couple of hours.

25. imronburgundy macrumors regular

imronburgundy

Is this feature really that resource intensive that the current 6 and 6 plus can't handle doing this without plugging in? Or is this a situation of Apple trying to give people a reason to upgrade to the s model by limiting it to that version?