Apple's HomePod Estimated to Have Just 5% of Smart Speaker Market Share in U.S.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Apr 12, 2001
www.macrumors.com

Apple's HomePod accounted for just 5 percent of the estimated 76 million smart speaker installed base in the United States in the second quarter of 2019, according to new data shared today by Consumer Intelligence Research Partners (CIRP).

Amazon continues to be the number one smart speaker vendor in the U.S., followed by Google. Amazon Echo devices accounted for 70 percent of smart speakers in the United States during the quarter, while Google Home devices accounted for 25 percent.

The smart speaker market has seen strong growth, with the U.S. installed base of 76 million speakers up nine percent from 70 million units in the March 2019 quarter. Growth is also up significantly compared to last June, when there were an estimated 50 million smart speakers in the United States.
"While the biggest growth in the market for smart speakers is in the holiday fourth quarter, Amazon Echo and Google Home continues to grow their installed bases in the past couple of quarters," said Josh Lowitz, Partner and Co-Founder of CIRP. "The market grew by 9% in the second quarter, and more than 50% year over year. Including Apple HomePod, all three major producers have maintained steady shares of the market in the past year. Continued aggressive pricing of the entry-level models seems to continue to encourage new customers to try a smart speaker and existing owners to consider adding more devices to their home.
Most people who own smart speakers have less expensive models like the Echo Dot and the Google Home Mini, with these units accounting for more than 50 percent of smart speakers in the U.S. during the quarter.

Though Apple has dropped the price of the HomePod from $349 to $299, the smart speaker is still significantly more expensive than speaker options from Google and Amazon, which has left Apple struggling to gain a foothold in the market.

Amazon's Echo Dot, for example, is priced at $50, but it is often available at even lower prices during sales and promotions. The same goes for the Google Home Mini, which is also priced at $49.

Rumors have suggested that Apple is considering a more affordable version of the HomePod that could be priced as low as $150, but it's not clear if and when Apple might release such a speaker.

CIRP's data is estimated and is based on a survey of 500 U.S. owners of Amazon Echo, Google Home, and Apple HomePod devices surveyed from July 1 to July 10 who owned one of the devices as of June 30, 2019.

Article Link: Apple's HomePod Estimated to Have Just 5% of Smart Speaker Market Share in U.S.

Ultramove69

macrumors member
Dec 23, 2017
Columbus Ohio, USA
If Apple wants to compete in this market it needs to be a loss leader. You sell this at near cost then encourage HomeKit accessories and rake in the license profits. Apple is trying to profit from HomeKit licensing and the speaker itself. In this market the core device needs to be in as many households as possible.

ipponrg

macrumors 68000
Oct 15, 2008
The HomePod is the invention that Apple keeps trying to throw under the rug, but somehow articles are still being written how poorly it's doing. Perhaps the HomePod should really be a "speaker", and not a "speaker with voice assistance". That way we can stop comparing it to other smart speakers.

miniroll32

macrumors 65816
Mar 28, 2010
Not surprised. The mainstream wants good 'smart' functionality and the ability to play audio wirelessly - for a good value. Products like Dot and Alexa are becoming borderline impulse purchases.

And since Siri isn't up to the job, and Apple isn't providing a cheaper alternative to the high-end speaker....

ralphdaily

macrumors regular
Aug 18, 2008
Birmingham, AL
I have everything Apple makes except for HomePod. Apple was tone deaf on this one. They marketed it as an accessory for Apple Music rather than a smart speaker. I have the current Amazon Dot wired to nice speakers and enjoy it very much. Plus Siri is dumb as a brick wall.

Tonewheel

macrumors 6502a
Sep 28, 2007
I have everything Apple makes except for HomePod. Apple was tone deaf on this one. They marketed it as an accessory for Apple Music rather than a smart speaker. I have the current Amazon Dot wired to nice speakers and enjoy it very much. Plus Siri is dumb as a brick wall.
Smart speaker it is not. But it does know my iTunes library intimately and plays everything I have and want.

rumz

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2006
Utah
I don't know if Apple is even trying to compete with $25 smart speakers that die just outside of their 90 day warranty-- basically garbage. (Yeah I know that's probably not the most common scenario, but that's the experience I had with an echo and was just amazed that Amazon had no interest in making that right).

Just like Apple's target customers are not the same ones who buy cheap Android phones and don't spend money on apps.

Apple's problem is that -- while the Homepod is an awesome speaker, it doesn't quite hit that iPhone level of doing enough things great. Siri really does hold it back. (I also wish it had an analog input, but I'm sure that doesn't interest Apple).

idrewuk

macrumors regular
Aug 15, 2008
Fantastic product. I’m super happy with my pair and they do everything I would expect; I know people say Siri is crap but for me I don’t really want or know what else it could be useful for other than asking basic requests related to music, timers, etc. I don’t really (at this stage) need anything else.

Obviously the sound is amazing and friends who’ve been over and heard it have been impressed. But yes, it’s overpriced and I feel like they should just give it a massive price cut and really market is a bit more. Once people get behind it more it’d fly off the shelves and another product to keep people in the ecosystem they’ve created.

Right now it feels like it just ‘exists’ when in actual fact it needs to be brought to life a bit. Google and Amazon are practically giving away their speakers so no wonder so many more people have them. Google do effective ads that highlight what people can do with their product, Apple should consider the same.