Apple's HTML5 'standards' hype debunked

Discussion in 'Apple, Inc and Tech Industry' started by roadbloc, Jun 5, 2010.

1. roadbloc macrumors G3

roadbloc

http://www.theregister.co.uk/2010/06/04/apple_html5_showcase_hype/

Most interesting.

2. ravenvii macrumors 604

ravenvii

The term "HTML5" has come to mean something different than just the HTML5 specs. It also includes the new interplay between JavaScript, CSS and HTML that was just recently made possible with new technologies, just one of which is HTML5 itself.

While Apple's usage of the term is strictly speaking incorrect, it has become popularly used as such so it's not just Apple.

Otherwise how could Apple hype it? It's not as easy to hype "HTML5, CSS3 and JavaScript technologies."

Although the fact that Chrome which is even *more* current with HTML5 standards, can't view the demos definitely makes one wonder.

3. pooryou macrumors 65816

Clueless article. Don't bother posting articles from The Register it's the equivalent of the garbage tabloids you see in the supermarket checkout line.

4. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

Chrome can if you go to the Safari Dev Center instead of Apple’s main Web site.

http://developer.apple.com/safaridemos/

The “limitation” is artificial since clearly these demos were designed with Safari 4 in mind, not Chrome.

It’s hard to take an article that’s opening line starts with "Apple is hyping HMTL5 again, this time with a new website purporting to show open web development in action.” seriously.

5. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

I switched Chrome's user agent string to Safari's and the demos work great in Chrome. Apple's just blocking out other browsers for no good reason.

6. Damnations! macrumors newbie

Damnations!

Someone fell out of bed and got raped this morning...

Anyways, the article (hence forth referred to as "it") made some good points, for example, why, if apple wish for html5 to be widely adopted and standard, can no other browser view it?

7. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

8. Damnations! macrumors newbie

Damnations!

9. yg17 macrumors G5

yg17

If you actually read the page:

Why implement something when it's a working draft and can possibly change? Apple's jumped the gun on HTML5 and I would laugh my ass off if there were some major changes to the final HTML5 revision and Apple had to go back and re-work much of Safari's HTML5 support.

Because they have the nerve to compete with the almighty Apple :rolleyes:

10. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

Opera on OSX. Read the link I posted.

As far as Google. I don't like them packet sniffing my network without my permission.

11. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    It'd be more impressive if the demos all worked in Apple's own Safari for Windows. (I'm running 4.0.5)

Interestingly, most do work on the Android Incredible, except the touch interface is flaky in some of them.

12. Damnations! macrumors newbie

Damnations!

I read it, but they support quite a lot, not all but still, better than microsoft. Then again, my background does html5 better than microsoft.

And yeah, google packet sniffing your network, like getting ass raped by an evil t-rex who is also your mothers current boyfriend, who years later reconciles with you, to only go and map every node in your body without your consent. Sorta like when google went and mapped every wireless network in britain.

13. kdarling macrumors demi-god

kdarling

First university coding class = 46 years ago
    Why did you leave your network totally open ? And since it's open, why aren't you worried about anyone else nearby watching what you do? Or using your network for illegal activities that you could be blamed for?

If your network is open (which is the only way anyone could get meaningful data), then you have far bigger problems than a two-second accidental drive-by capture by Google.

14. Peace macrumors Core

Peace

http://www.businessinsider.com/google-facing-lawsuit-over-recorded-wifi-data-2010-5

Google's "don't be evil" mantra is bunk.

15. calderone macrumors 68040

calderone

BS. It isn't Apple's job to know what Chrome's implementation is. Safari is their browser and as a technology demonstration, they can only demonstrate what they know, and they know Safari.

Sure, most of it will work given that Chrome is based on webkit, but again, it isn't their job to make sure the demo works with other HTML5 capable browsers.

Doubtful. They are working with the W3C on the draft and many of the features have been developed by the Webkit team. The chance of them having to re-work Safari's HTML5 support is extremely low. Even so, wouldn't Chrome have to be re-worked as well? And any other browser with draft implementations? You said it yourself that Chrome can handle the demo just fine. So I guess you would be laughing your ass off at everyone and not just Apple, right?

Even if they did have to rework, that action supports the idea that they do support open standards and want to conform to them. If they left it alone, devs would have to begin developing work-arounds like they have to for IE now.

Regardless, this has been going on for a long time on the web. Many devs start taking advantage of the features as they are added to browsers. This way devs can be prepared and the browser developers can work out the bugs in their implementations.

Heck, you wouldn't have been able to enjoy 802.11N as early as you probably did if manufacturers waited for ratification.

16. jaw04005 macrumors 601

jaw04005

If everyone followed that logic we would have never had HTML 1, XML, WiFi and countless other now standardized technologies.

17. belvdr macrumors 603

18. KnightWRX macrumors Pentium

KnightWRX