Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Medic311

macrumors 68000
Jul 30, 2011
Also great is the fact I was able to easily increase the quality of my entire music collection to 256 when much of it I ripped from CD at 192 back in the day.

Definitely a great deal.

haha yeah that's also a good point

a lot of my music is actually 128 (from the Napster days...gasp!) LOL

Mike Valmike

macrumors 6502a
Feb 27, 2012
Chandler, Arizona
I love iTunes Match, yet I cannot delete things I uploaded to Match now, so I can upload new things. I quickly capped my 25k quota, but now there are songs there I don't listen these days, yet I cannot upload new ones because you can't delete them.

Uh, yes you can. CMD-Delete and when it asks whether you want to keep or delete the file, delete the file. Empty your trash. CMD-Delete on the cloud entry for that song and it will ask if you want it removed from iCloud. Select yes. It will be gone and not come back, and your Match usage will go down by one song in the limits.

msimpson

macrumors regular
Sep 5, 2007
Mo popular

I think eztv.it and piratebay.org are the most popular cloud services for storing media.

64Mario64

macrumors regular
Mar 14, 2013
Wow, I didn't know Dropbox was so popular. When I first found out about it, it was just an unknown thing I used for web hosting that I suspected of being some kind of scam.

iphoneclassic

macrumors 6502
Oct 12, 2011
USA
Some strange options in their

They combine iTunes Match and iCloud but then just look at Google Drive, where is the Google Music Match

Of course if you ask people if they store music on google drive not a great amount will say yes, ask them about google music and you might get a different answer

great way of leading questions to get the answer you want to see

iCloud should have got 100%. There is no service where individuals can store purchased movies/TV shows legally. YouTube is not listed as an option.

Michael CM1

macrumors 603
Feb 4, 2008
Is that Samsung thing the feature the advertisers went nuts about because people could swap playlists by touching phones? If so, please note that it's less popular than Ultraviolet.

Had the "Hobbit" Blu-ray set included an actual digital copy, I may have bought it. Instead, I saw "Ultraviolet." Consider iTunes the sunscreen I wear to not deal with that worthless BS.

iBug2

macrumors 601
Jun 12, 2005
Uh, yes you can. CMD-Delete and when it asks whether you want to keep or delete the file, delete the file. Empty your trash. CMD-Delete on the cloud entry for that song and it will ask if you want it removed from iCloud. Select yes. It will be gone and not come back, and your Match usage will go down by one song in the limits.

When you do that it says "do you want to hide this from iCloud?". I don't think it deletes it.

paulsalter

macrumors 68000
Aug 10, 2008
UK
No leading. Look at the date. If I'm not mistaken Google Music Match launched in Dec 2012, right? This data is from October 2012. So it's makes sense that Apple would own 2012 data. Maybe a year from now it'll be different.

----------

Why? Because you didn't know how your computer and the internet worked when you were 20-24? It's a safe bet kids today know how it works.

Good point on the match service, was about then it launched in the US, but the music servie was available

I still think answers would have been different given better questions

If people had been asked if they use Amazon for their music instead of Amazon Cloud Drive (and similar using google), I would expect different results to asking about cloud services

I am still sure Apple would be top, but to me the questions are wrongly worded

redhawk87

macrumors regular
Jul 11, 2009
Raleigh, NC
just a question: if iTunes is now "in the cloud" does previewing a song entail "using iCloud"? Does sending an iMessage entail "using iCloud"?

The thing about this survey that I think a lot of people are missing is they asked the people which cloud services they use in given situations. So to say a person is using iCloud when they dont even know it would mean that percentage for iCloud is undervalued. The reason Apple's iCloud is used so much more than anyone else's cloud offerings is because it is so engrained in iOS. Its hard to use an iPhone without using iCloud. It also blurs the line as to what is a cloud service and what isnt. Is the cloud just the storage of personal material? Or is the cloud just anything that passes through Apple's "iCloud" servers.

If Google's cloud offerings were so engrained in Android, I am sure Google's cloud usage would rival that of Apples.

freedevil

macrumors 6502a
Mar 7, 2007
Except Google Music doesn't have a higher quality stream. My guess is you're comparing mp3 to the mp4 based AAC. 256kbps MP4/AAC is higher quality/smaller size than the equivalent MP3. Of course Google isn't really going to tell you they are still using the old and outdated mp3 format instead of mp4.

Refer evidence of 256kb MP4 vs 320 kbps mp3. Did you get the free part?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.