Apple's iCloud inspired by Dropbox?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by clank72, Sep 25, 2011.

1. clank72 macrumors regular

I use Dropbox daily. Like it. I believe the Dropbox people will suffer when iCloud is launched? Seems Apple got inspired?

Will Dropbox still have a use?

2. QuarterSwede, Sep 25, 2011
    Last edited: Sep 25, 2011

QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I think Dropbox was inspired by iDisk and how slow it is. iCloud one ups Dropbox and iDisk by doing everything automatically in the background for you. iCloud certainly isn't a replacement for Dropbox. Just a compliment.

3. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

iCloud cannot hold a candle to Dropbox. Also, iCloud will not offer any storage like dropbox other than the iWork docs.

iCloud is gimped. IMO

4. Daveoc64 macrumors 601

I don't see how iCloud is anything like Dropbox.

MobileMe's iDisk feature is the only thing remotely like Dropbox and they're dropping that feature with iCloud.

There are a lot of things about iCloud that will mean it's totally unsuitable for some uses.

5. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

There is an API for iCloud that devs can use for storage, so hypothetically a dev could make an app to allow storage similar to Dropbox. We just don't know yet.

6. tigres macrumors 68040

tigres

That's correct, but why in the hell would apple not use their new data center and keep iDisk is insulting to say the least.
    I don't want another third party solution, I want what i have been paying for after being sucked into the system.

7. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

I agree with you, and suspect the reason they dropped iDisk is because it sucked. Maybe they do have plans to roll out a replacement. (shrug)