Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MacRumors

macrumors bot
Original poster
Apr 12, 2001

Alongside the launch of iOS 17, iPadOS 17, and macOS Sonoma, Apple has updated its iCloud website with design changes and some of the new features that came in the software updates.

iCloud-General-Feature.jpg

Apple says that the iCloud homepage is now customizable, with options to select specific folders for Notes, a specific mailbox in the Mail app, favorite Photos, and more. Tiles are now interactive, so you can do things like mark a Reminder as complete or archive an email, plus there are browser notifications that can be set up for iCloud apps.

Apple has also redesigned Calendar, Contacts, Reminders, and iCloud Drive. The full release notes for the new version of the iCloud website are below.
General

Customize What You See in Tiles
Choose a specific folder for Notes, a mailbox for Mail, display just your favorite Photos, and more. You can also configure your homepage to show multiple layouts of the same tile so you can see more content from your favorite apps. Access layout options in the menu in the lower-left corner of a tile.

Quick Actions From Tiles
Mark reminders as complete, flag an email, see a preview of a file in Drive, and more. Perform actions from tiles by hovering on content and selecting to reveal quick actions. If you're on a touch device, swipe to the left.

Browser Notifications
Get notified of new email or event invitations and updates with browser notifications on a PC for Mail and Calendar. You can configure browser notifications in iCloud Settings on the web.

Updated Design
New design and layouts across Calendar, Contacts, Reminders, Drive, and more.

iCloud Mail

Attach from iCloud
Attach photos and files to email messages directly from iCloud.

Undo Send
Easily unsend an email message that you just sent before it reaches the recipient's inbox.

iCloud Calendar

Calendar Identity Control
Control the email address others see in event invitations and even use your Custom Email Domain to unite your Calendar and Mail identities. Manage it all from iCloud Calendar settings.

iCloud Drive

List View
Switch between viewing your files as icons or in as a list with the toggle in the upper left corner.

Preview Your Files
Press the Space bar after selecting a file or photo to get a quick preview before opening or downloading it. You can also access quick view through the options menu.

Access File Options
Easily access actions like renaming a file or downloading a copy through the options menu.

iCloud Photos

Memories
See your Memories and play them in a full-screen view by clicking on the memory.

Slideshow
To view your selection in a slideshow, select Play Slideshow from the menu in the upper right corner.

Notes

Linked Notes
Create links to other notes by typing >> or Command + K as a shortcut to add links while writing in your note.

Shared Folders
Collaborate with others on an entire folder of notes.

Enhanced Search
Use suggested search to refine your search against categories like shared notes, checklists, tags and more.

Reminders

Customize Your Reminders
Add dates, locations, flags, and more using the edit details button.
Apple's iCloud website is available at iCloud.com on any web browser, and it is particularly useful to those who are on a PC and may not otherwise have access to their iCloud content on the machine.

(Thanks, Tim!)

Article Link: Apple's iCloud Website Updated With iOS 17 and macOS Sonoma Features

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
Still can't add, modify, or complete recurring reminders, unfortunate. Surprised they added locations before that.

---

Does iCloud Mail finally sync without me having to open the app on my phone (badge count is always out of sync until you open it and it realizes you deleted a bunch of unread emails on the desktop)
No, not related to iCloud.com at all though.

I submitted feedback about this multiple times, you should too.

Last edited:

joloriquelme

macrumors member
Nov 17, 2018
Santiago, Chile
I don't know if it was the case previously, but at least for me, now the photos are displayed in full HDR glory.... inside the Webpage, and even using Microsoft Edge on the Mac.

I didn't know this was possible. It would seriously change the Web.

Reactions: sydneysider88

CarAnalogy

macrumors 601
Jun 9, 2021
Reading these features it kind of seems like the website was uh...rather useless before. Ability to select a folder? Rename files? Get info on Reminders?

iMessage on the iCloud web page would be a useful feature for those on PC's.

They should add iMessage to iCloud

This would give Android and Windows users a backdoor to use iMessage. Can't have that. Has to remain iPhone and Mac exclusive. They said as much in emails that came out due to the Epic trial.

ersatzplanet

macrumors regular
Jun 30, 2008
I wish iCloud would adopt a version of the Selective Sync feature that Dropbox has. I use Dropbox on multiple machines, some not having enough free hard drive space to share the complete Dropbox folder. The Selective Sync feature alows you to select which files are on your local driv and in the cloud, or just in the cloud. The files still show up in the finder and you can download them when needed, and then tell the system to keep them only on the cloud when done editing (and only for this machine). VERY helpful and the only real reason left that makes me still use Dropbox.

Dj64Mk7

macrumors 65816
Sep 15, 2013
I wish iCloud would adopt a version of the Selective Sync feature that Dropbox has. I use Dropbox on multiple machines, some not having enough free hard drive space to share the complete Dropbox folder. The Selective Sync feature alows you to select which files are on your local driv and in the cloud, or just in the cloud. The files still show up in the finder and you can download them when needed, and then tell the system to keep them only on the cloud when done editing (and only for this machine). VERY helpful and the only real reason left that makes me still use Dropbox.

Wasn’t this the big difference between iCloud Documents and Data (pre-2014) and iCloud Drive (post-2013)?

As far as I’m aware, iCloud Drive is its own section in the Finder, separate from the rest of the system. Does this not work the same way as Selective Sync? Is selective sync closer to how Windows handles OneDrive files in File Explorer? Couldn’t Optimize Storage act the same way on a system-level in macOS?

• Disagree
Reactions: jimthing

Junior117

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2015
Toronto, Canada
Unless I'm mistaken, you can do the same thing with iCloud: right-click on a file or folder, and then select "Remove Download."

Screenshot 2023-09-28 at 5.55.52 PM.png

I suppose the only difference is that the document doesn't temporarily download the file while you're using it and auto-deletes it from the computer once you're down with it, but then again, I never had that work for me (where Dropbox would download the file automatically when in use, then uploads the changes and auto-deletes the file when you're done).

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
iCloud Drive needs big features so I can ditch OneDrive. Do not download (keep in the cloud) as a default option, version history, public sharing options, folder sharing, and (for me) a Linux client. People still say it isn't cloud storage but instead a syncing mechanism for these reasons.

Last edited:

ersan191

macrumors 68000
Oct 26, 2013
Unless I'm mistaken, you can do the same thing with iCloud: right-click on a file or folder, and then select "Remove Download."

View attachment 2283973

I suppose the only difference is that the document doesn't temporarily download the file while you're using it and auto-deletes it from the computer once you're down with it, but then again, I never had that work for me (where Dropbox would download the file automatically when in use, then uploads the changes and auto-deletes the file when you're done).
The issue with this is it must be done manually, you can't set iCloud Drive to keep files off your devices by default like every other cloud storage provider can - it automatically downloads them everywhere and you have to go through and manually remove files on every system.

Japan Ricardo

macrumors regular
May 11, 2022
Does iCloud Mail finally sync without me having to open the app on my phone (badge count is always out of sync until you open it and it realizes you deleted a bunch of unread emails on the desktop)
No.

I used to have an Outlook account on my iPhone, and it always synched perfectly - within seconds of deleting or reading an email on outlook.com or another email app, the iPhone badge would change. It doesn't with iCloud accounts... Very strange...

Japan Ricardo

macrumors regular
May 11, 2022
The new interface is quite good - at last Reminders can actually be ticked off! My only bugbear is how slow it is to download notes and reminders. I can understand that big files might take time to download, but you shouldn't have to wait so long to things like 'take trash out tomorrow' to finally appear. I know every time it's downloading from scratch, and there's no app on the PC, but it's restrictive.

Reactions: Pinkyyy 💜🍎
Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.