Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

MozMan68

macrumors demi-god
Jun 29, 2010
South Cackalacky
There’s no money in it unless you sell data and directed ads.

Apple has been able to avoid that trap by making its hardware optimized instead.

Or simply tie it to Apple Music....but then it has to be good enough for people to want to subscribe as part of the pull.

pup

macrumors 6502a
Dec 31, 2009
I think Ping's failure was due to it just being another example of Apple completely losing interest in something that they aren't immediately successful at. The moment Facebook refused to integrate it, Apple just walked away. No grit.

It was actually a pretty nice way at the time to keep track of not just artists, but other industry insiders and journalists. For the brief moment that it was active, it was my primary means of discovering new music. In fact, I still haven't found anything quite as useful.

You can sort of get the same experience following artists on instagram, but if they want to promote a new song, you've got to go to their profile, click a link that they have to change all the time, go to whatever website that takes you to, and then hopefully the website will have an iTunes link.

Cosmosent

macrumors 68020
Apr 20, 2016
La Jolla, CA
This got me thinking ... I wonder how many of the so-called Pro Stock Analysts who cover AAPL for a living were NOT around early-on, OR are simply NOT aware that AAPL has had a whole slew of Failures !

I grew up in Silicon Valley, walking distance to AAPL's original office, whether you consider that the one in SW Los Altos @ Jobs' parents home, OR the one near where the Good Earth restaurant used to be, close to where Whole Foods now is near De Anza ... from my vantage point, AAPL has had just as many successes as failures.

Some of the things that are being Hyped today will fail, as well.

IMO, from a technology perspective, AAPL peaked with the A7 in the 5s ! ... it forced Qualcomm to hit pause, & then RE-start ... took them more than a year to recover, & that led to a good portion of the iPhone 6/6+ success !

From a Hype / Marketing perspective, AAPL peaked with the iPhone X.

To this date, the 2016 iPhone 7+ is the single-best-value iPhone AAPL has ever offered !

It was AAPL's first true High-Perf iPhone !

It took AAPL until Sept of 2019 when AAPL offered the iPhone 11 to match that in Value & Performance !

Those in the middle have what I refer to as the "Phil Schiller Chip Bug" !

LeadingHeat

macrumors 65816
Oct 3, 2015
Most of Ping’s failure was from its focus on music. If Apple had launched a social network that was a social network, not specifically a music social network, I think it would’ve been met with more success.
I agree, and was coming here to post something along the same lines. It would have been cool to see some blend of Facebook/Twitter and this ping service mixed with the absolute stance on privacy they adhere to. Could have been great.

sideshowuniqueuser

macrumors 68030
Mar 20, 2016
You never win if you don't get in the race. They didn't win this one. I love the way Tim phrased the shuttering of Ping. "The customer voted and said this isn't something I want to put a lot of energy into." No sugarcoating, no spin. Didn't work. Moving on to the next thing.
There's quite a damn few more things I'd wish he'd take that attitude with. 4 years to notice the vote on the butterfly keyboard. And still remaining: touch bar, no heat pipe and/or good heat design in MBA/P, etc etc etc

• Disagree
Reactions: StandingGoose

DeepIn2U

macrumors G5
May 30, 2002
Toronto, Ontario, Canada
Does anyone know if announcements from apps other than iMessages is supported in iOS 14?
Big failure. I think they released something a few years ago in another attempt to do social media and it failed as well.
At least they're getting better at services. This was such a disaster.
Most of Ping’s failure was from its focus on music. If Apple had launched a social network that was a social network, not specifically a music social network, I think it would’ve been met with more success.

Honestly I think Pings failure was not in the customer, nor in that it was focused on music. The failure was the majority of artists barely provided updates or interacted with consumers beyond the initial month. Some continued for a few months like Sean Paul yet others just didn’t care at all!!

FB, MySpace and other social media just didn’t do anything.

music was a great idea for this:
Ask artists unique questions of their song / album inspirations, choice of voice, any collaborations and consumer suggested collaborations, video critique or suggestions. Inquire about the album cover pic (which in the age of the iPod didn’t matter much anymore - the MP3 killed LP sleeves and content within.

if nobody has noticed : artists dislike taking ANY suggestions from their fans and worse any critique. Pretty much fee they themselves are the centre of life. You have a few that engage on IG but it’s usually the same schtick:

what’s fashionable
What they recently bought
A day pic with their pet
A semi yearly pic of a collaboration with other said artist.
Big party event for the Holliday or season and who’s who that’s there,
And finally what’s HUGE in the news especially if it’s a movement cause.

wash, rinse, repeat while striking a pose.

I don’t like this guys music, Bieber, yet it’s funny that amongst so many talented artists and musicians that only He, Daryl Hall and Cee-Lo of done a big stream of playing their songs in a chill bar like environment. Bieber actually goes close to his home town near the GTA every few years or so at random with a 24hr prior announcement.

gotta say THAT is giving it to your fans. 12yrs or so ago Korn did that with a SiriousXM stream from tracks he did for Queen of The Damned. That was awesome.
Either it’s the studio limiting this or the artists. It’s a shame really.

magicschoolbus

macrumors 68020
May 27, 2014
I never understood how this was supposed to work.. I tried it, wanted to like it, but .. never really, understood what it was supposed to do

Apple_Employee

Suspended
Aug 6, 2020
Apple failing in the social networking business is a loss to everyone. We would have at least one social network built with safety, security and privacy in mind.
I think most social network sites are are safe and secure, the only thing apple would do is throw some kind of privacy in there

Dustman

macrumors 65816
Apr 17, 2007
but only served the purpose of managing ipods so not everyone that could get online
No it didn’t. It had the same feature set as it does on MacOS. In the early 2000s when we briefly switched to using Windows PCs, I exclusively used iTunes for all my burning, ripping, radio streaming (the old m3u stations), and even making jewel case inserts with the track listings.

If you’re referring to it only catering to people using Apple products in general, then sure. But it was also where 90% of people at the time were purchasing their legal content. And I don’t even have to talk about Apple’s mp3 player market share.

imnotthewalrus

macrumors 6502a
Nov 20, 2015
earth
I liked Ping. I was able to talk to musicians on it, like Brian Molko from Placebo. Trent Reznor would post stuff all the time. Ironically, there's still no music service that offers something like this. Apple should not have given it up. Would've been a good fit for Apple Music, and could have been re-worked.

Ping was better than Apple Music's current social implementation.
Agreed. I had a conversation with Rick Rubin who was happy to chat with fans. I feel Apple didn't do much to update the platform.

and 1989 others

macrumors 6502
Sep 21, 2016
Ah yes. Back in the days when sorting music in itunes was easy. A list of my music and the ability to rank much like a standard spread sheet.
Not like the mess Apple music is now.

Reactions: oppastopa

damphoose

macrumors regular
May 12, 2014
Apple‘s mistake was thinking people would use social media for something productive. This left Facebook and Twitter in a race to bottom.

-DMN-

macrumors 6502
Jan 21, 2019
More Freedom than Yours
You never win if you don't get in the race. They didn't win this one. I love the way Tim phrased the shuttering of Ping. "The customer voted and said this isn't something I want to put a lot of energy into." No sugarcoating, no spin. Didn't work. Moving on to the next thing.
Back before his true ideology was sprinkled on every facet of Apple.

Cancelled
Sep 11, 2014
I gotta hand it to Lady Gaga; 10 years later and she's still relevant. Congrats on winning five VMAs a couple of nights ago and having a number 1 album and song this year.
Good lord has it been 10 years already? :oops: I’m glad she hasn’t burnt out. She has real talent and training to back up the hype and image.

But she’s got a long ways to go to prove herself among people like Dolly Parton, who was famous when I was in kindergarten 49 years ago and remains popular and beloved to this day! She’s an amazing songwriter and businesswoman.

And 80-something Loretta Lynn got herself faux married to Kid Rock! That was a perfect joke for 2020! 🤣. She’s still got so much sass. Madonna could learn a thing or two about staying young and fun the right way from those two ladies.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.