Apple's In-Ear headphones Remote/Mic disabled only on desktops

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by jnc, May 11, 2009.

1. jnc macrumors 68020

jnc

Coming from a portable background, and having dropped a few thousand on a mac pro last week, I thought I'd be able to skimp on buying a mic for Skype by using the new mic feature on Apple earphones...not so!

Bit weird, that they work on the MacBook range which already have an included mic, but not the desktops, which don't!

Just an observation... would a software update cure it?

Ah well, off to eBay to find a discontinued iSight...

2. Spanky Deluxe macrumors 601

Spanky Deluxe

Unfortunately if it doesn't work now then it probably never will. Apple probably just put the physical connections of a standard headport in the socket - i.e. three contact points for left, right and ground. :(

BTW I wouldn't recommend an iSight anymore. Yes the quality for what they are isn't bad but they're aweful value for money since they hold such high premiums. Not to mention you'd have to use a firewire 800 to firewire 400 adapter.

Get yourself a Logitech QuickCam Vision Pro. Chances are you'll be able to get one for cheaper than an iSight and it has vastly superior video quality and is 100% mac compatible.

Edit: Having a quick look, iSights are currently going for about $85 whereas the Logitech QuickCam Vision Pro can be had for about $100.

3. Shazaam! macrumors member

Shazaam!

When you plug into the Mac Pro front input jack with an Apple iPhone earphone having the in-line microphone, the microphone shows up in the Sound Preferences Input panel. The input level shows it's working. Works for me ...

Attached Files:

4. jnc thread starter macrumors 68020

jnc

I refer to the new iPod earphones with built in volume control and mic (which I imagine are poised to supercede the iPhone earphones)